Gamma Ray - Chicago 2-3-11

Hey guys,

Jonathan from D97 here. We had a blast playing for you last night. I leave you with our new music video to check out if uou have a moment:

Last edited by a moderator:
D97 rocked! Sucks that you guys went on so early. The show had a hell of a spectrum, didn't it? Full on metal, thrash, prog, classic powermetal, and more. It was a good balance. Lot's of guitar pyrotechnics too. It warms my heart to hear all kinds of shred from the stage. Speaking of which... it was frickin' COLD last night in the Venue. They have got to fix that, it was completely unbearable even for the audience, but, also for the frigid performer's fingers!

D97 rocked! Sucks that you guys went on so early. The show had a hell of a spectrum, didn't it? Full on metal, thrash, prog, classic powermetal, and more. It was a good balance. Lot's of guitar pyrotechnics too. It warms my heart to hear all kinds of shred from the stage. Speaking of which... it was frickin' COLD last night in the Venue. They have got to fix that, it was completely unbearable even for the audience, but, also for the frigid performer's fingers!

It was a terrible mix of bands for the show.

I am glad someone else thought it was cold. I am usually a sweating fool but last night I was even cold in there. I wanted everyone to spoon a little but no takers.

I guess we all have a different opinion of what a good mix would be. I like bands that sound nothing like each other. Hell, my mix tapes used to have Neil Diamond right next to Slayer, Dream Theater, Anthrax, and Disney-tunes.

It really was ridiculously freezing. I was nearly ready to gut the nearest fat person and use them like a Tauntaun.

I guess we all have a different opinion of what a good mix would be. I like bands that sound nothing like each other. Hell, my mix tapes used to have Neil Diamond right next to Slayer, Dream Theater, Anthrax, and Disney-tunes.

It really was ridiculously freezing. I was nearly ready to gut the nearest fat person and use them like a Tauntaun.

The Aladdin soundtrack is awesome.

I like a good mix of genres at shows....but they have to be "GOOD" bands. There are people who dont want a mixed bill and it is a big turn off to them.

Got on this thread post-show late. Anyways, it was good to see people from the forum last night. Like others said, it was hard to get through some of the openers. I would've actually liked to have seen District 97, but with so many openers I just didn't want to arrive that early. Ha!

As for Gamma Ray and I'm dead serious when I say this, that had to be the single best power metal performance I've seen live. Period. Their energy was great, I loved a lot of the improving, etc. Plus, like others have mentioned it seemed like they, especially Kai, was having a really good time, which is amazing considering the low turnout and the fact that they had gotten up at 4am to catch a plane to get to Chicago. It really says a lot about them as a band.

As for Gamma Ray and I'm dead serious when I say this, that had to be the single best power metal performance I've seen live. Period.

Yep, it definitely gave Nocturnal Rites' set at Chicago Powerfest a run for its money. Unbelievable.

Kai is a metal god. The man was a major player in the creation of TWO of metal's most important genres, in both Speed metal and power metal.

I normally don't go all crazy anymore at shows, but the first chords of RIDE THE SKY set me off like a damn fool!!!!! I prolly looked like an arse, but I don't care.

That's cool that you guys were so close to Geddy Lee.

Hahahaha, that's Dave!!! I met him over at Metal Rules a long time ago, and we are both active CD traders. I think he is a dead ringer for Weird Al.

Neil - That is me right in between Simon and Bob (just in case you thought I was someone else, as you mention you cut me off on the right).

I normally don't go all crazy anymore at shows, but the first chords of RIDE THE SKY set me off like a damn fool!!!!! I prolly looked like an arse, but I don't care.

I must admit that surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think you had it in you to go that apeshit. :lol:

I must admit that surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think you had it in you to go that apeshit. :lol:

Depending on the band and mood I love really getting into it. I think the last time I really went nuts was at Voivod last year. I love crazy shows as much as the next guy but for some bands I like to just watch. Bands that have sing along chorus's and stuff always get me going.

Depending on the band and mood I love really getting into it. I think the last time I really went nuts was at Voivod last year. I love crazy shows as much as the next guy but for some bands I like to just watch. Bands that have sing along chorus's and stuff always get me going.

Bob- Remember that Haunted / Kataklysm show?
Remember when I went off at the beginning of Kataklysm's set?
I scared the crap out of those high school kids who thought they were so KVLY

Bob- Remember that Haunted / Kataklysm show?
Remember when I went off at the beginning of Kataklysm's set?
I scared the crap out of those high school kids who thought they were so KVLY

I will never forget that one girl who was really cute and she was pulling down her pants showing us her thong and flashing her bra and we found out a week later she was like 15. ouch.