Gamma Ray - Chicago 2-3-11

Bummed I had to miss this....Sounds like a great show (well, at least the last couple bands) Worked a double shift into Thursday morning, got home late, stayed up longer than I wanted to, and slept most of Thursday......Kudos to the Rays for pulling this off, despite all the things working against them....

You guys did well too! First time hearing Mindwarp Chamber! Bought the album Supernova and jammed it in its entirety today during the commute. Nice work! I'll definitely be coming to your future shows!

Thanks!! Glad you liked the show / disc. We probably wont be doing any shows until the Summer unless some really good show comes our way through MPShows. We're going to start working on tracks for the next one.

Finally getting around to posting.

Great show and good time seeing the Chicago crew. It was nice talk to some of you from the board about music and life outside of music. I am guessing there had to be 20-25 forumers at the show, which was cool to see.

I was on the fence for this show when it first was announced as I'm not the biggest Gamma Ray fan. With that said, having seen them before I loved their live performance and knew it would be a great time. Once District 97 and Mindwarp Chamber were put on the bill, it became a must see for me. Being someone that enjoys various styles of metal, I was one that was looking forward to diversity of the music. Though, I realize that is tough for the average fan of Gamma Ray to want to show up for prog and thrash.

Didn't know much about District 97, but I had checked them out online and read enough where I wanted to see them live. I expected solid musicianship and they delivered. They seemed to have about 20-25 fans for them that cleared out after they played, but thus is life with local openers especially on an eclectic bill.

I can't add much on the other bands that hasn't been said. I will say they had fun on stage and they tried their best to get the crowd going.

I will admit that Mindwarp was the main draw for me. Their style is more in my wheel house, so without typing a bunch of glowing fanboy praise, I will say the crowd was noticeably more into them then any other band except for Gamma Ray and I'm sure they made several new fans. Perfect performance. Great job as always guys, and it was nice talking to Shreddy, Mike, and Mark.

Then the mighty Gamma Ray! I echo what has been said already. I cannot believe they show up after this blizzard to a small crowd after getting up so early and deliver 2 f'ing hours of solid energy. I didn't move from my spot the whole 2 hours save 1 bathroom break. I am very glad I made it to this show for what turned out to be a fun and memorable Gamma Ray show.

On a different note, it is really disheartening that show after show in Chicago gets these smaller crowds than the LA or NY shows. A few of you have speculated on the weather or the mix of the bands, but it seems a lot of Chicago shows in the last few years has excuses for poor turn out. Either the venue is too far, or bands are poorly promoted, or bad timing and conflicting with other shows, etc, etc, there is just a bad trend going on with crowds in Chicago for some solid metal acts that still do well in the US in other cities. I don't know the answer, but I just hope this changes and it doesn't cause bands to tour here less.

On a different note, it is really disheartening that show after show in Chicago gets these smaller crowds than the LA or NY shows. A few of you have speculated on the weather or the mix of the bands, but it seems a lot of Chicago shows in the last few years has excuses for poor turn out. Either the venue is too far, or bands are poorly promoted, or bad timing and conflicting with other shows, etc, etc, there is just a bad trend going on with crowds in Chicago for some solid metal acts that still do well in the US in other cities. I don't know the answer, but I just hope this changes and it doesn't cause bands to tour here less.

I was sort of discussing this with Bob the other night, but I think part of the problem is that there just isn't THAT venue that is good for power metal. I'm not saying this would do EXTREMELY well or anything but most of these power metal acts would play the Pearl Room to pretty decent crowds. Ever since they went under, it seems they don't really know where to book power metal. The Blind Guardian show at Bottom Lounge did well but besides that, there usually isn't a high turnout for power metal.

Like others said, I do think weather had a lot to do with it but beyond that, these shows just aren't promoted well/ in a crummy venue. Plus, the openers didn't help things. I'm not trying to get this argument going again, but if these power metal bands toured with other power metal bands like when Edguy toured with Kamelot years ago, there would be higher turnouts.

I think a lot of the piss poor chicago turnouts has to do with the promotion.
I am EXTREMELY grateful for MPSHOWS and Reggie's.
I have known both parties for MANY years from going to shows, and playing shows they both promoted.
The fact of the matter is that booking metal is nothing more to them than making $$$ because it sells these days.

They are not passionate about metal, and honestly probably had no clue this Gamma Ray gig was even remotely exclusive.
It was marketed as simply a Gamma Ray gig.
I would think if this tour came through JAXX, you would have seen this show promoted as something special, and more of an event than just another gig.

Reminds me of the Candlemass tour a few years back. I don't think even 100 people were in attendance at the Pearl Room.
The Pearl room booked 3 practically unknown bands on the bill, almost as if whatever band called first got the spot.
I remember other cities booked solid openers. JAXX for example booked Twisted Tower Dire.

So, in summary, I think part of the problem is there really aren't many true metal promoters in Chicago, at least not at the level for bigger touring bands.
Sure, you have stuff like Metal Up Your Tap that does a decent job of putting together good lineups.

That's how I see it anyhow. There have of course been exceptions where some lineups did have openers that made sense, and helped actually gain interest in the show. (IE - Mindwarp added to Gamma Ray, Novembers Doom on the Katatonia / Orphaned Land gig, etc)

very true. Once metal isnt a draw anymore...you will not see it at Reggies or Bottom Lounge. When Reggies opened it was pretty much a punk / hardcore / indie rock club. Those shows became less and less crowded and metal started getting more popular. Suddenly they book lots of shows there. Plus with Pearl Room gone and them stealing the metal tours. Now they are more spread out.

I agree...MPshows really isnt involved in the metal scene other than to make money. Not that it is a bad thing...it just stinks on them not knowing how to make interesting show line ups to get people there.

Jasonic your comment about Jaxx made me take notice. . So I dont know whats going on with Jaxx.They couldnt even book this this time. Gamma Ray have always had good crowds at Jaxx. Twisted Tower are kinda local so I think thats why they where on the show. Sucks for me GR are true legends and wish I could have seen them this time. GR are true class met them several times aand are always great to interact with

Hey guy's just wanted to say thank's for the kind words and yeah despite all the crazy weather it was a cool show and we had a good time, sorry i couldn't stick around longer but after we played i wanted to get my cows packed up and by that time i was freezing and just wanted to get the hell outta there.