Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

Conclusions based on this:

The new drummer has not finalized work VISAs for the US (hence "extenuating circumsatances"), but has no problems in the UK or Europe. This suggests the drummer is European in origin.

Of the 5 finalists (Mangini, Minneman, Thomas Lang, and 2 others) only Austrian ubermonster Thomas Lang is European.

Therefore, logic suggests Lang is the drummer. Watch this space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWzI6wEDXY

The Portnoy question - - he may return . . but not in this upcoming album cycle.

Lang lives with his family in the Los Angeles area so it wouldn't apply to him either.

Given all this publicity and fans arguing back and forth on who is the newest DT drummer it would not surprise me it it was in fact none other then Mike Portnoy. (Don't flame me just saying my opinion) I know it sounds ridiculous but stranger things have happened.

Given all this publicity and fans arguing back and forth on who is the newest DT drummer it would not surprise me it it was in fact none other then Mike Portnoy. (Don't flame me just saying my opinion) I know it sounds ridiculous but stranger things have happened.
I thought so too at first, but I've heard otherwise since then. It's been decided so I don't know why they just don't announce it already.

I'm sorta with J-Dub on this, I think it will be Mike Portnoy. In the beginning, all he wanted was a year off. We are just about there - when did the news come out that he left DT, that was back in September. Just a few more months of stalling and we are there!

It's been confirmed by several anonymous sources, one who lives 10 minutes from the studio DT is currently recording at and actually saw the guy there, that it's Mangini. If you dig around Dream Theater's unofficial forum long enough, it becomes pretty obvious from the wealth of circumstantial evidence, those who claim to have inside sources (who are typically banned or squelched for not revealing them), and at least two people who claim to have seen Mangini around the Long Island studios. This will be a pretty anti-climactic announcement... Wish they'd just get it over with.

It's definitely Mangini.

A couple of weeks ago I felt Mangini would be the obvious pick due to his Berklee background and work on Mullmuzzler. The after hearing nothing for the longest time, I figured maybe they were giving MP the time he had originally wanted.

At this point, so hard to know. Maybe Mangini is the recording drummer, but not the touring?

Wow, does anyone even care any more? What a production.

For Immediate Release
April 18, 2011

An Exclusive Look into The Band's Search for a New Drummer

New York, NY: A little more than a month after original drummer
Mike Portnoy's sudden departure from Dream Theater, the band held
three days of auditions in New York City. Over an amazing and
productive three-day period, the band played, jammed and spoke
candidly with seven of the world's greatest drummers, learning
about them musically, personally and professionally, and assessing
the fit of each drummer's incredible chops with the band's
trademark prog-rock sound.

Dream Theater have been extremely sensitive to the fact that this
is not only a monumental decision in their own lives, but also a
critical moment in the lives of DT fans around the world.
"The departure of our lifelong bandmate and friend was an
unexpected and truly heartbreaking blow," says guitarist John
Petrucci. "The fact that as a result of that event we'd be
introduced to seven infinitely capable and uniquely talented
drummers was heartening."

Dream Theater would like to share with its fans some of the
intense process, along with the musical joy, that went into
choosing a new drummer. Who is the best fit behind the kit?

Go to Dream Theater's Facebook page on Thursday, 4/21 at 11 AM
to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details
about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to
find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about
the band's new lineup will be made. Also on Facebook, fans
will be able to find out information about the band's upcoming
2011 World Tour.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Theater/7677942180

Maybe they've been taking publicity lessons from Dave Mustaine.
And yeah, I am done caring. It is who it is. My life will go on regardless. I will still wake up in the morning, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, etc. etc. no matter who it turns out to be.

DT is my favorite band and I do not care myself. Once MP said he was gone it ceased to be DT for me. He himself has said many times there are tons of drummers that are better than him and can play his parts. But anyone who knows anything about DT knows MP is so much more to this band. Could they possibly do something really great w/o him? Definitely. But it's just not DT to me w/o MP.

Wow, does anyone even care any more? What a production.
Somewhere I suppose, but not I. I read this earlier and was irritated by it. They just seem to be stringing their fans along in a ridiculous fashion.

Go to Dream Theater's Facebook page on Thursday, 4/21 at 11 AM
to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details
about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to
find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about
the band's new lineup will be made. Also on Facebook, fans
will be able to find out information about the band's upcoming
2011 World Tour.
Seriously? You have to sign up to be on a special mailing list in order to even know when the announcement will be made? Just tell your poor fans already. Sheesh.

At this point, for me personally, it's safe to write off Dream Theater. 3 bad albums in a row and a ridiculous circus surrounding replacing their drummer is enough to make me walk away.

Somewhere I suppose, but not I. I read this earlier and was irritated by it. They just seem to be stringing their fans along in a ridiculous fashion.

Seriously? You have to sign up to be on a special mailing list in order to even know when the announcement will be made? Just tell your poor fans already. Sheesh.

Agreed. Ironically, this note came to me via the mailing list that I have been on for at least seven years. Issue #142 from Jan/2004 is the oldest one I seem to still have in my email, anyway. I don't have Facebook so for all I know they are asking people to sign up for this very same list, but if it's a separate list that makes it all the more ridiculous.

I'm surprised they aren't releasing a dvd and a 3cd set filmed and recorded at the auditions, with bonus behind the scenes footage. (Oh wait, all of it is "behind the scenes" footage.)