Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

Unfortunately it isn't. Say what you will about Portnoy but if he was still in the band and let's just say one of the other band members had left and had to have been replaced, this circus wouldn't be going on. I say this with Dream Theater being my 3rd favorite band but I have to...FUCK DREAM THEATER!!!!!

so you have come around to my side of the fence, eh?

after watching that video i thought i was watching a feature length film trailer about a simple audition?! lame. great drummer choices however.

after watching that video i thought i was watching a feature length film trailer about a simple audition?! lame. great drummer choices however.

Indeed I have. I mean I'll be interested to see what they have in terms of their music, but this bullshit has definitely made me think less of them.

So an interesting tidbit of info. Some of you will probably just think I and/or my friend are conspiracy theorists but he did bring up a couple interesting things about Peter Wildoer. As you may or may not know, Peter is the drummer for Darkane. The last update for Darkane was December 8th, talking about the possibility of the new studio they will be using for their next album that "might" be done by what is next summer. Then, he saw this headline about Dream Theater the next day -- DREAM THEATER 'Incredibly Excited' About New Drummer - Dec. 9, 2010. Then, this next one I don't know is a big deal but he seems to think so -- new website launch for Peter on April 18. Then you of course also add the fact that he is Labrie's solo drummer. I for a while didn't think it would be him, because I would've figured DT wouldn't pick a foreigner, but now I'm not so sure. Regardless though, I am sick of this bsing as I've stated.

You're gonna call me a queer as usual, but I officially am on the side of WDADU being the best DT album and taking this long to agree with you. Having a real hard time not spinning that one lately. So good.

;)
So an interesting tidbit of info. Some of you will probably just think I and/or my friend are conspiracy theorists but he did bring up a couple interesting things about Peter Wildoer. As you may or may not know, Peter is the drummer for Darkane. The last update for Darkane was December 8th, talking about the possibility of the new studio they will be using for their next album that "might" be done by what is next summer. Then, he saw this headline about Dream Theater the next day -- DREAM THEATER 'Incredibly Excited' About New Drummer - Dec. 9, 2010. Then, this next one I don't know is a big deal but he seems to think so -- new website launch for Peter on April 18. Then you of course also add the fact that he is Labrie's solo drummer. I for a while didn't think it would be him, because I would've figured DT wouldn't pick a foreigner, but now I'm not so sure. Regardless though, I am sick of this bsing as I've stated.
;)

At this point though, of all the 7 guys, Roddy is the only American no? Lang is Austrian, Minneman is German, Wildoer is Swedish, Aquiles is Brazilian, Donati is Australian.

Oh Mangini is from the US. Anyways, I seriously doubt it's Roddy. He is an extreme drummer to the core, and I am not sure how capable he is at prog rock. I know he was supposed to do Blotted Science, but he bailed on it so we'll never know how he would've sounded in that field.

At this point though, of all the 7 guys, Roddy is the only American no? Lang is Austrian, Minneman is German, Wildoer is Swedish, Aquiles is Brazilian, Donati is Australian.

Oh Mangini is from the US. Anyways, I seriously doubt it's Roddy. He is an extreme drummer to the core, and I am not sure how capable he is at prog rock. I know he was supposed to do Blotted Science, but he bailed on it so we'll never know how he would've sounded in that field.

I realized I might have been off on that after posting. To be honest, I don't really know who the other drummers were besides Peter. He's the only one on the doc, who I recognized his face.

You're gonna call me a queer as usual, but I officially am on the side of WDADU being the best DT album and taking this long to agree with you. Having a real hard time not spinning that one lately. So good.

Welcome to the team of TWO! I think it's just myself and you now who think it's the best DT album. WDADU is not just my favorite DT album but it's in my top 10 albums of all time, not just metal.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=157243

So there's this. I have to say, Roddy's comment is almost worth its own thread:

Stated Derek Roddy: "We jammed a little while... [It] was cool, but the environment (in-ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments... Plus the fact that these guys were trying to 'jam' in odd times, etc. Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff. Now this was fun, but at the same time I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in and record an entire record in the studio on the spot. I've never wanted to work that way as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) overtrumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can), then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future. I like to sit on riffs for a few days at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one). As far as the band being upfront with their fans, I'm sure they want to, but there are some legal issues that needs to be addressed and that takes precedence over what 'can be said or announced.' I'm sure [the fans] can figure it out. And I am certain that they knew who they wanted before these auditions were even thought about. One thing that was said directly to me was, 'Whoever it will be, it's got to be the fans' choice, someone the fans are completely happy with.' I was very busy during that time period... only had a few weeks to learn a 20-minute song, a ballad, and a tech song with 30-part changes within the space of three minutes! Haha."

I have to say, this kind of disgusts me. I agree with Roddy. Throwing a bunch of wank his way rather than actually working on writing is pretty much a testament to why the last 2 DT albums are awful imo.

This is getting worse and worse with everything they release press-wise. I guess if i truly paid attention to them in last several years if might get it, but i don't really get where the "ego" comes from as far as anyone truly getting caught up in this hype. yes, they can play the shit out of their instruments but the simple ability to craft a solid song left their building long ago! they are good, but they aren't as good as they apparently think themselves to be. kind of wondering who the bigger egomaniac is now, Portnoy or the remaining 4. hahaha.

I doubt it. It's really debatable as to whether or not this whole thing will boost sales, which is RR's business. Granted, I am sure their high sales over the last 2 albums and success on RR has probably boosted their egos.

I was actually wondering if Roadrunner was the force behind all this...

I think it's all Roadrunner. Portnoy was in charge of the non-music stuff for a reason: The rest of the band just doesn't care about that side of the business. As such, it stands to reason that this is 100 percent the label's doing. The publicists who I assume came up with this idea knew that Dream Theater's audience includes a lot of musicians, and they thought that element of its fanbase would find something like this interesting.

I think it's all Roadrunner. Portnoy was in charge of the non-music stuff for a reason: The rest of the band just doesn't care about that side of the business. As such, it stands to reason that this is 100 percent the label's doing. The publicists who I assume came up with this idea knew that Dream Theater's audience includes a lot of musicians, and they thought that element of its fanbase would find something like this interesting.

You do realize these guys make a living off of the band right? Of course they care about that side of the business. It's literally their lives. Roadrunner's only job is to sell CDs, which they're already doing. Yeah their publicists are putting out press releases related to this issue, their media team could be helping them put together this "documentary" but it's doubtful that the label cares very much about all this "hype" beyond the fact that it exists and they're running with it. The whole thing is more than likely the orchestration of both the band and the manager.

I have to say that the whole cluster fuck that has been going on with this band lately is really classless and tacky. I was at one time interested in hearing who the new drummer might be, but now I really couldn't give a shit. To think that these guys were once my favourite band. Shame Dream Theater shame.

I have to say that the whole cluster fuck that has been going on with this band lately is really classless and tacky. I was at one time interested in hearing who the new drummer might be, but now I really couldn't give a shit. To think that these guys were once my favourite band. Shame Dream Theater shame.

Same here. I always figured DT would be my favorite band. It's amazing what a few years will do.

Portnoy was in charge of the non-music stuff for a reason: The rest of the band just doesn't care about that side of the business.

Portnoy TOOK charge of that side of things it would seem judging from his departure letter and because now that he is gone all 4 of them are gladly stepping into those shoes quite willingly. Anyone of them could say, "you know what? making a decision like this into a mini-series for the fans is kind of lame and borderline degrading to our DT name. maybe we shouldn't do this" but they all appear to be quite happy to be in front of the camera. this band is not a new band, they can call their own shots no matter what a manager says or thinks. you aren't in this business this long and not have a say-so in the future of things and how business is handled.