Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

They should get Gene Hoglan or another death/thrash type drummer. The'd probably have to fortify the stage somewhat though!

How about the Mastodon guy?

Now that you mention it, I think Brann Dailor would be one of the few drummers I would actually be satisfied hearing play with DT. He's got an instantly recognizable style, which is what I look for in a drummer. Actually thats the first thing I look for in any musician. Which is one of the many reasons I love Dream Theater. Everyone in the band has an instantly recognizable style of playing/writing.

I do love Brann but would hate to see him join Dream Theater, solely for the purpose of him leaving Mastodon. Mastodon is one of the top 10 bands in metal right now, period. Dream Theater hasn't put out anything worth listening to in a while. His drumming is part of what makes Mastodon so awesome.

Someone already said mangini, so I'll throw in Virgil Donati.

Not sure why people are saying Zonder. He's kinda the anti-Portnoy. Might as well suggest Nick DiVirgillio.

Someone already said mangini, so I'll throw in Virgil Donati.

Not sure why people are saying Zonder. He's kinda the anti-Portnoy. Might as well suggest Nick DiVirgillio.

Ha ha, I was just looking on Virgil's web site to see what he was doing these days. He was the first drummer that came to mind when I read the news. I could see him getting the gig.

And I totally agree on the Zonder comments, as well. I can't see him with DT at all.

I do love Brann but would hate to see him join Dream Theater, solely for the purpose of him leaving Mastodon. Mastodon is one of the top 10 bands in metal right now, period. Dream Theater hasn't put out anything worth listening to in a while. His drumming is part of what makes Mastodon so awesome.

But what if he could do both???

I like other could see:
Zonder
Bobby Z
Chris Quirarte
Aquiles Priester

Not sure if he has been mentioned but what about ALEX ARELLANO?( if he could tone it down a bit)

Marco would be too bored by the simplicity of Dream Theater ;) And the lack of improv.

Marco is awesome though and he'd do a fantastic job with it if he was offered and interested.