Guilty Pleasures etc.

Mxgonzo said:
YES!!!! The First Yesterday & Today album kills!! As does the rest of the Y&T stuff. I always thought they were a highly underrated band.

True! Although I never could stand the second Yesterday & Today album with its space drums sound. LOL :tickled:

Platinum Maze said:
Since you guys mentioned it, this is probably the best place to ask...

Other than the live version of Riding The Storm Out that was on MTV way back when, the studio version - which kind of sounds like a live version - was pretty much the only version I had ever heard. Until I heard it on an upstate NY classic rock station a couple years ago... But, this version did not sound like it was Kevin Cronin on vocals, and it was also a studio version. Does anyone know where this is from? Did they have another singer at some point that I was unaware of? I've heard it again since, but been unable to find any info...
You heard correctly. Likely they were playing the original studio version of the song (coming from the album of the same name) that featured Mike Murphy on vocals. Kevin Cronin sang on their second album, then left the band for a couple years and then returned in time to record their live album that turned out to be their ticket to success. The live recording of Ridin' The Storm Out with Cronin gets much more airplay, but every once in a while you'll find an old-school DJ who likes to spin the original. They also re-recorded some of their earlier songs on Decade of Rock and Roll 1971-1980, using Cronin on vocals (including Riding the Storm Out and 157 Riverside Avenue).

Styx - I

Electronicoil said:
It was probably just the studio verison with Cronin. The live version of that tune most often gets played on radio. Cronin wasn't an original member of the band, as I recall, but since he joined, I think he's always been in.

Gary Richrath (guitar) has left, with some acrimony and drama, but I think Cronin is still a key member.

I lived in Champaign IL for awhile, which is where REO is origionally from. I met a few people who claimed to have known them pretty well, and every one of them said Gary Richrath was a jerk. Don't know how true, but they certainly all agreed (seperately) on that point.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
You heard correctly. Likely they were playing the original studio version of the song (coming from the album of the same name) that featured Mike Murphy on vocals. Kevin Cronin sang on their second album, then left the band for a couple years and then returned in time to record their live album that turned out to be their ticket to success. The live recording of Ridin' The Storm Out with Cronin gets much more airplay, but every once in a while you'll find an old-school DJ who likes to spin the original. They also re-recorded some of their earlier songs on Decade of Rock and Roll 1971-1980, using Cronin on vocals (including Riding the Storm Out and 157 Riverside Avenue).

Styx - I

Well, I'll be buggered. I did not know that.

ElectricWiz said:
I lived in Champaign IL for awhile, which is where REO is origionally from. I met a few people who claimed to have known them pretty well, and every one of them said Gary Richrath was a jerk. Don't know how true, but they certainly all agreed (seperately) on that point.

According to their VH1 Behind the Music, Richrath is a pretty bad alcoholic. It got to be a problem with the rest of the band. Too bad, really, because I like the way he played. Even though it was pretty sloppy, it worked for REO's music.

Terry Luttrell was the lead singer on the first REO album.

Kevin Cronin tool over for the second album, R.E.O/T.W.O.

The next three albums - Ridin' The Storm Out/Lost In A Dream/This Time We Mean It - featured Mike Murphy on lead vocals.

Kevin Cronin came back for the '76 album R.E.O, and has been the lead singer since.

Electronicoil said:
According to their VH1 Behind the Music, Richrath is a pretty bad alcoholic. It got to be a problem with the rest of the band. Too bad, really, because I like the way he played. Even though it was pretty sloppy, it worked for REO's music.
In that show he said that he had sobered up and would like to play with REO again. I would like to se him and Cronin patch things up and work together again.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:

Styx - I

Thanks TSO!!! Those were the details I was looking for! I knew for sure it wasn't Cronin.

Out of curiousity, what year was that album released (RTSO)?

TheWhisper said:
I absolutely adore Allison Moorer, Kasey Chambers, and my all time fave female singer is Emmylou Harris.:worship: I also like a lot of the Texas singer/songwriters.

Joe Ely
Robert Earl Keen
Jimmy Dale Gilmore
Reckless Kelly
Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash
Rodney Crowell
Nancy Griffith
Billy Joe Shaver
Cross Canadian Ragweed
...to name a few.
Okay, you elevated way above my head here. Most of those artist I've never heard of. I sample the americana genre thanks to one of my best friends who's into the independent scene. It's not something that finds it's way into my player often, but when I'm in the mood I have two Allison Moorer albums (Miss Fortune, SHOW) and Kasey's first two (The Captain, Barricades and Brickwalls). I've been listening to those girls for a couple years now, but he introduced me to Tift Merritt this summer and that's climbed to the top of my list. It's more varied in styles, with some jazz and soul influences. I find Tift more progressive.

None, too be honest with you. I don't like the stuff that would considered "guilty pleasures" anyway...