Has there ever NOT been a sell-out?

Firehead

CrusaderOfTheDowntrodden
Jul 31, 2004
The darkest part of your soul.
Congrats to all involved on next years sellout show! I was wondering in all the years that the fest has been going has there ever been a year where you could just come and buy tickets at the door?

And if not, what's been the longest it took to sell out?

Just curiosity questions. Thank you!

Justin is correct. If memory serves me correctly, we sold out 1, 3-9, 15, & now 16. We were only handful of tickets short on 10 & 11.

Years 12 & 13 were the toughest. In fact, I was ready to pull the plug after 14 (despite it being better than 13).

We have come full circle now and PPUSA 20 is the goal before we call it a day.

Harvester,
I'm curious if you have ever thought about handing the proverbial reigns over to someone else when you want to retire from PP? Or are you content to let it go and bask in the memories?

:kickass::kickass:
Justin is correct. If memory serves me correctly, we sold out 1, 3-9, 15, & now 16. We were only handful of tickets short on 10 & 11.

Years 12 & 13 were the toughest. In fact, I was ready to pull the plug after 14 (despite it being better than 13).

:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

Looks like I need to revise my long term budget...again. Ahhh, a good problem to have :headbang:

Looks like I need to plan for more long-term ProgPower t-shirt storage and keep a line item in my budget for band sponsorship. Truly 1st world problems.

7 fell only about six tickets short and the one with Hammerfall and Kamelot headlining did sell out.

Harvester,
I'm curious if you have ever thought about handing the proverbial reigns over to someone else when you want to retire from PP? Or are you content to let it go and bask in the memories?

I think that's more a question appropriate when it comes time, which sounds like it won't be any time soon. That being said, I've seen mixed results with handing over festivals to other people. ProgDay has managed to survive, tho it struggled for a while and the guy who founded it gave it up to others. It helps that it is a small festival with a dedicated core that makes it work.

On the other hand, NEARFest fell apart three years after the founders passed control to others. They came back to do one last blowout before shutting it down for good last year.

I would say you are right. I could not tell you who played what year without looking it up. It honestly gets to become a blur.

Just so many now. My first was 5, and up until 10 I could have told you every band in every slot in every year, but yeah, now there's just too many.

BTW, the first thing shouted at the Amaranthe show in Fort Lauderdale last night? Someone yelled, "ProgPower!"

7 fell only about six tickets short and the one with Hammerfall and Kamelot headlining did sell out.
I recall the same about PP7, and on PP11 (Kamelot/Hammerfall), I want to say that Friday sold out via single day tickets but Saturday did not. I'm not 100% on that but I seem to recall that once he split them out that year, Friday went fairly quickly while Saturday lingered.

Regardless, very stoked to hear that doing another few years is the goal.

This is an interesting discussion, and I'm glad to hear Glenn is planning on doing this a few more years. I'm hopeful, of course, that he won't stop at PPXX, but at least we have a few years to encourage him to continue. :saint:

With that in mind, I have compiled the list of bands that have performed in sold out Progpower festivals. If any band appeared in more than one sold out PP, I made note of it as having that special sold out PP JuJu.

So, here are those bands with their frequency of appearances in sold out PP festivals next to them. (Note I am not counting any Wednesday or Thursday appearances.) As my theory goes, having one PP with most of these bands in it could result in a PP sellout in record time.

Zero Hour (3)
Reading Zero (2)
Evergrey (3)
Pain of Salvation (4)
Symphony X (2)
Edguy (2)
Angra (3)
Mercenary (3)
Pagan's Mind (2)
Stratovarius (2)
Riverside (2)
Jon Oliva's Pain (2)