Hey, how about another Avantasia album?

We proudly say we're anti-conformist and we don't just do what other people tell us, but we get pissed off when others act the same way - not doing what we think they should do.

Its like the goth kids in South Park! You're non-confiormist, but only so long as you do it exactly like we tell you to! :loco:

Bands change styles over time, and as much as I was left luke-warm with Tinnitus and Scarecrow both, at least they didn't hit me like Queensryche with HitNF: I threw that CD into my apartment wall after jerking it out of the player in disbelief!!!!

Has Edguy really become that much bigger? While they can do things now like tour the US (playing clubs), there has not been any kind of overnight or meteoric rise.

The US market is not what makes them their living and I don't think is the right metric to measure success for many European Metal bands. Look at the venues they play on their European Tours (and Brazil for that matter) now versus 3-4 years ago. They are definitely drawing larger audiences. I wish I had access to sales numbers, but I look at things like overall tour dates, venue size, etc. I even saw an Edguy video on MTV during normal programming when I was in Germany this summer. Are they bigger here? Probably not, but it looks like they're more popular world-wide maybe.

I know the topic of Tobi and Avantasia and Edguy's commercial sound and the similarities of the two and speed versus melodic.....blah, blah, blah have all been tossed around. But......

For me: I'm a fanboy. I love Edguy. I love Avantasia. I love Tinnitus. I love The Scarecrow.

Can't wait to see them next month!! Goodnight now. :)

The US market is not what makes them their living and I don't think is the right metric to measure success for many European Metal bands. Look at the venues they play on their European Tours (and Brazil for that matter) now versus 3-4 years ago. They are definitely drawing larger audiences. I wish I had access to sales numbers, but I look at things like overall tour dates, venue size, etc. I even saw an Edguy video on MTV during normal programming when I was in Germany this summer. Are they bigger here? Probably not, but it looks like they're more popular world-wide maybe.

That's not really the point I was making, (and I agree with what you say) but, even in this perspective - I don't think we can conclusively prove it's due to the recent change in writing style and not more logically a case of the band getting bigger because of the momentum they'd built over their whole career including six power metal albums. Yes - they're playing bigger places worldwide now than they were in 2005-06. In 05-06 they were playing bigger places than they'd been in 2001-04, and so on. With rising stature already occurring anyway, they wouldn't need to change to become more commercial - I'd say it's just as likely they changed just because that's what they wanted to do as musicians and sales had little or nothing to do with it.

Arguments aside, they still rock hard IMO and I'll be at their show here in Sept!

People that say that Tobi is doing this for money are ill informed. I have been an ardent Edguy fan since Theater and I believe that Tobias is one of the few musicians out there that writes from the heart.

For all the accusations of he's doing this to make more money, it's like saying that Tobias just discovered hard rock because of what's on TV and wants to cash in. During the recording sessions for Vain Glory Opera in 1997 he's wearing a sweet Games People Play shirt from PINK CREAM 69. The Edguy debut Kingdom of Madness is DIRECT tribute to the band Magnum and their debut, Kingdom of Madness. He's always loved this music.

See, I'm not agreeing with your reasoning. I think you can "guage" their popularity overseas due to them actually receiving exposure, not a change in writing style. Hard work, persistence, and exposure put them on the European map, not simply because they decided to write early 90's style songs. I most certainly don't think that sort of writing style is going to get them popular here in the states. With that said, it looks like the main reason Tobi is doing what he's doing, is simply because he wants to. (shrugs)

~Brian~

The Scarecrow had a couple cringe-worthy tracks (and the Lost in Space discs had the worst one...Lay All Your Love On Me) but overall it was a pretty strong album that wasn't half as bad as I had been expecting. The title track was really great, and of course Jorn being on a lot of the disc doesn't hurt. By comparison, Tinnitus Sanctus was just awful. I legitimately enjoyed two songs. I think Edguy is trying to branch off into what they think are darker and more serious directions, but they come off goofy and uninspired. It also sounds to me like Tobias has either damaged his voice or is trying to make it sound rougher and lower, but it isn't working out too well.

I know the topic of Tobi and Avantasia and Edguy's commercial sound and the similarities of the two and speed versus melodic.....blah, blah, blah have all been tossed around. But......

For me: I'm a fanboy. I love Edguy. I love Avantasia. I love Tinnitus. I love The Scarecrow.

Can't wait to see them next month!! Goodnight now. :)

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at.

I've been following Edguy since a little before Hellfire Club dropped, and I've said it all before about hating the style change, the last two albums being inferior to the couple proceeding them. Hellfire Club is one of my 10 favorite albums of all time. I want to hate on the style change as much as the next guy, but it really just comes down to the fact that if I put on any of the newer Edguy or Avantasia stuff, I really enjoy it. It's poppy and all that, but I just enjoy listening to it. So, at the end of the day, I can't really hate on something for the wrong reasons when I know in my heart I enjoy it.
I thought The Scarecrow was a definite notch above Tinnitus Sanctus though, and am very eagerly awaiting Pt. 2.
And I'll be seeing Edguy for the 5th time in NYC in almost exactly a month, and I'm sure it will be another fantastic show. More shit openers though.

See, I'm not agreeing with your reasoning. I think you can "guage" their popularity overseas due to them actually receiving exposure, not a change in writing style. Hard work, persistence, and exposure put them on the European map, not simply because they decided to write early 90's style songs. I most certainly don't think that sort of writing style is going to get them popular here in the states. With that said, it looks like the main reason Tobi is doing what he's doing, is simply because he wants to. (shrugs)

~Brian~

This.

According to Nuclear Blast, the new CD will be out in Spring 2010:

Tobias Sammet announces plenty of guests for the next AVANTASIA album - out in spring 2010

Recently SCORPIONS vocalist Klaus Meine was in the studio to record a duet with Tobias. The recording session took place at "Peppermint Park" studio in Hannover. About the collaboration Tobias says the following: "We played a couple of shows with the SCORPIONS here and there and they are not only the biggest and greatest rock band ever to emerge from Germany, they are also cool Rock'n'Roll people who are aware of what's going on in the world of heavy guitars. Lately we played Bulgaria together, EDGUY and the SCORPIONS, and I watched their full show from onstage. They kicked serious ass! Rudolf (Schenker, Scorpions) did some cool guitar work on the previous record, and now Klaus is on the forthcoming one. He has done a superb job, he opens his mouth and you immediately hear it's that cutting voice that has sung "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and "Blackout"! The track we did together is an anthemic mid-tempo tune, big choir chorus. And I am still speechless thinking of Klaus' performance. He is a real pro and he would still blow away 99% of all us Rock singers with a quarter of his left lung. People, get ready for a monster song!"

After Bob Catley (MAGNUM), Eric Singer (KISS), Alex Holzwarth (RHAPSODY OF FIRE), Klaus Meine (SCORPIONS), Jorn Lande (MASTERPLAN) and Tim "Ripper" Owens (ex-JUDAS PRIEST) another voice can be announced for the next AVANTASIA album: Ex-HELLOWEEN voice Michael Kiske who has appeared on every AVANTASIA album so far, even already on the two early classics "The Metal Opera" has been back in the studio to sing his parts for the next journey to AVANTASIA.

Tobias: "Michael's voice and singing have had a huge influence on me when I was young. HELLOWEEN's "Eagle Fly Free" lit the spark for me back then, it made me want to become a singer at age 12. Michael appears on several songs, two are fast and anthemic tunes, my personal "Eagle-Fly-Frees" if you want. Crystal clear and high singing. If up-tempo music sounds like that, I don't get tired of it. And still it is not a copy of early HELLOWEEN or early AVANTASIA. It's great to have Michael sing those kinds of tunes. He's a good guy! Great job, great voice!"

Tim "Ripper" Owens, ex-Judas Priest vocalist has commented on his collaboration with Tobias for the forthcoming AVANTASIA epic: "I gotta say, this tune is cool, I'm just glad I came in and saved it! I mean Tobias is ok, but the song needed help, hahaha! I AM KIDDING, man! He sent me the song with him singing and I said: "Holy crap, this is great... What the hell am I gonna do?!" So I just sang like the devil! Thanks buddy, your tune rocks!"

About the release date Tobias says: „We got a lot of songs and as long as they are great, we will keep producing, people should expect a 10-Disc collection in 2017, haha."

another voice can be announced for the next AVANTASIA album: Ex-HELLOWEEN voice Michael Kiske who has appeared on every AVANTASIA album so far, even already on the two early classics "The Metal Opera" has been back in the studio to sing his parts for the next journey to AVANTASIA.

Boy am I glad that Kiske has stopped singing metal songs! He's worse than a smoker trying to quit! :Smokin:

I was underwhelmed with "Scarecrow", but I think this album will come out stronger overall. (Please, just no more "Lost in Space"!)

About the release date Tobias says: „We got a lot of songs and as long as they are great, we will keep producing, people should expect a 10-Disc collection in 2017, haha."

Heh. Reminds me of Whose Line Is it: "This set contains 4 songs on 26 CDs."