How is the music scene in your area?

The Philippine's Music Scene Sucks! Plain mainstream hip hop, pop, alternative, nu metal...

Only metal here is underground and not known at all. Plus you can't buy metal cds in any record bar (except pirated in streets)

Wish i could travel abroad to buy metal cds...

Arrakis said:
I think the scene is getting better here. slowly but surely. I should hope some bands out here get noticed sometime. There's some very good bands around.

Are you a a member of WOTA? If so...I wanna see you guys live, missed the last one! Bastards!

MasterOLightning said:
Don't bother driving to Chicago to see local metal bands. Not a great idea. We have Viscosity and we used have Paragon X. They were pretty good. We are pretty much the pop/punk capital of the US. Macabre is from here. I can't think of any other Chicago metal bands, or at least any that are from here. At least all of the tours come here, so I don't feel too bad about not having any local scene.

What about The Chasm? And like edgecrusher said, your city has a LOT of death metal bands. Good, who knows? But at least there's a scene.

i live in iowa, and the scene here is mostly hardcore, emo, and a lot of nu-metal. i see a bunch of the all black fish net trying to be goth people who listen to CoF.....

i think its getting better because a metalhead is the manager at same goody, and i can buy albums off of relapse and centry media but thats about it.......

and we have a place that gets soem bands to come, but its a bar, and the owner doesnt like all the gay kids that comes, so he makes the shows 21+ so i cannot go.... assholes....

In Minnesota we have some good metal bands. Epicurean, Necromis, Cold Colours, Anal Blast, Down Side Of Truth, Demonicon, Golgotha's Pyre, Bleeding The Sick and a few others. But we have mostly Hardcore bands here.

You guys think you have it bad?? I live in Morocco (North West Africa... basically western part of middle east)... Maybe it's just my western bias, but the music here is CRAP! It literally all sounds the same (and I'm sure it's not just because I can't understand what's being said)... but the rythms and patterns are all nearly identical... very, very, very little originality at all.

Then in addition to the above mentioned classic arabic music, we have a slew of worthless rap, and "rock" that's popular among the more "modern" moroccans.

Metal is completely nonexistant here. Luckily I have one moroccan friend who likes nothing else :)

I live near L.A. and we have a good scene here. We do have lots of local bands ranging from black metal (Nokturne), death metal (Sepsim), thrash metal (Dreams of Damnation), a mixture of sounds (Winterthrall, this band is good), and of course we are the home of SLAYER!!! We have shows just about every weekend (mostly local). We are fortunate to get almost every band to play in L.A. This week I am headed to see Deicide (I am not a fan, but something to do), then we are also having Mortician (same week, yay!) So I guess we are lucky in a way. Also, since we are in a major metropolis, we are also polluted by the rap and hip hop shit. I've been to Sweden and although they are famous (like Norway) for the black metal scene, it seems that much doesn't happen. Most gigs have a low turnout.

Blah....

Arrakis said:
yea I'd be the bassist.

We're playing at reilleys on the 30th.
It's a 19+ Halloween show. $10 at the door if you're wearing a costume, $20 otherwise.

I would say "I'll be the guy dressed as Jesus!" but there will probably be a whole lot of others there dressed as The Bastard Son of the Lord as well. So I'll be the Jesus that is on vocals for WOTA.

Glad you like the stuff, thanks for the support and all that.

^What Black Metal Slut says.
Also, we have a lot of concert venues to go to. A few famous ones are The Roxy, The Glasshouse, Whisky-a-gogo, The Keyclub, and The Palace (now a new name). Some metal tours will have 2 or even 3 shows here in L.A at different venues on different days. Aside from that, the bands here are diverse, from black metal, death metal, thrash (not as popular as Bay Area thrash scene) to regular metal. (yeah, there are other genres as well).

Great reports from everybody. I live in NY so you can figure it out how's like to be here. In short, I think metal scene is everywhere, nowadays it's very "normal" to find a metalhead in every corner...it is the flavor of the month! :Spin:

I live in Alabama, and I really don't have that great of an idea about our scene. But it's mostly emo/hardcore and rap shit. Only bands I know that are any good down here are Blood Stained Dusk and Convergence from Within.

Ben_t said:
I live around 30 min away from Montréal (Québec) and there's good bands here...Cryptopsy, Martyr, Neuraxis, Kataklysm, Necronomicon, Quo Vadis...just to name a few. :)

In Montreal there's some really good shows once in a while. So I'm statisfied with the Montreal scene.

...QUebec's metal is of such quality... Cryptopsy, Martyr, Carpharneum, Quo Vadis, Kataklysm... We have some very unique sounding bands and the level of technicalty is up there!

Well....I'm in Columbia, SC. Apparently, there's quite a local music scene...whether it is good...I don't really know. In Spartanburg there's a small venue, and looking at their archives page at bands that have played there...it's amazing. Emperor and Peccatum have played there. Lots and lots of bands you wouldn't think would ever have played in SC are on there. But I've never seen any of them. One of my two friends that likes good music told me about this local band called Mandible. They play avant garde/improv music. Listening to a few of their songs from their site (they have all of their albums posted for free), sounds good. I'll go to see them on the 22nd here.

I'm having a long term vacation in Germany so you can figure it out I'm at the peak of the most important metal scene in the whole world. Hail Germany!!!