How large is your music collection?

See You In Hell

Is this the real McCoy?
Feb 13, 2007
five-venoms.spaces.live.com
Forgive me if this has been posted recently but since I couldn't find any prior postings on this topic (although maybe my search arguments weren't very good) I thought I'd inquire. In my short tenure as a member of this forum I have been impressed by the tremendous amount of musical knowledge many of you possess as well as the varied musical tastes I have encountered. Suffice it to say I have learned much in my short time here and I thank you all for that. I've gained an appreciation for many bands that, prior to my forum membership, I probably would not have otherwise heard of.

So this got me to thinking about music collections in general (recent topics about metal t-shirts and music collections kind of got me into this) and was wondering just how extensive your music collections are. For purposes of this topic I will define a music collection as CD, vinyl, or tape. I'm a late-bloomer in the whole prog/power/epic/symphonic/death, etc. metal scene (since about 2001) but in that relatively-short span of time I have seen my CD collection especially grow tremendously. And it still is! Of course, metal isn't the only genre I possess in my music collection but it is by far the major player.

To date I have approximately:
750 CDs
30 tapes (cassette)
20 albums on vinyl (used to be much larger but phased out in lieu of CDs)

I'm willing to wager this pales in comparison to many, if not most, of my fellow forum members. So tell me -- how large is your collection?

Also as an aside I typically get my music through what I would consider typical channels: Amazon.com, eBay, various used CD stores in the Dallas area, and the occasional music retailer when I simply must have something new immediately rather than waiting to find it used. I am wondering if in the course of building your music collections you have stumbled upon any other good avenues of acquiring good music. For example, I am sure there are some excellent music websites out there that I have yet to stumble across. Please feel free to enlighten me in that regard. I tend to focus on getting used CDs especially because I do try to minimize costs whenever possible although paying full price isn't always out of the question either.

I have 600+. I havent checked my cd cataloging software recently. I exclusively use online channels to get my music, whether new or used. You mentioned a few. Just to give you some idea of the typical places I scrounge:

CDinzane.com
LaserCD.com
Nightmarerecords.com
NEHrecords.com
Half.com
Sentinelsteel.com

Hmm, I lost count many years ago and haven't had time to really count but guesstimates are:

8-10,000 cds
3000 records
1500 tapes

I have been collecting since 1983 so it wasn't like an overnight process, plus I had several years in the mid nineties I worked at a used cd chain and would get discs for $1 to $3 each. That added a good chunk, and otherwise always buying and shopping, usually my music budget between concerts, travel, and cds is $10,000 or so a year.

I probably have about 200 CDs of the music I listen to these days. 1000 CDs total if I scowered my parent's house. All of my tapes have fallen to the way side (mostly whats left are Billy Joel albums and traded live material of other artists).
And I have New Kids on the Block's Hanging Tough on vinyl!!....... Hey! I was eight at the time!

This is totally a rough estimate, as I have CD's and media scattered between my parents' place and DemonOfTheWoods' house ... and I haven't done an official count of either in a long time. Collectively the collection probably looks something like this:

CDs - 600
Tapes - 10 (I didn't collect tapes that much, unless you count all the great Maxell dubs that my uncle made for me as a kid.)
Vinyl - 35 (Mostly Springsteen or Warlock/Doro)

1500+ store bought cds
1000 home made bootleg (live) cds, some from torrents, some from digitizing my own records & tapes.

However many 3 Napa Valley crates are, filled with vinyl

I dumped LOTS of records before I moved, and made a nice profit out of them, especially the old Kiss & Beatles stuff.

My mainstay online dealers are www.impulsemusic.com &
www.harder-edged-music.com

I have roughly about 600 cd's(not all metal) - zero tapes - maybe 8 albums. I have sold several cd collections over my many years for one reason or another or I would have much more. I have been buying here recently on average about 2 a week to get caught up on the last few hard financial years.

I used to buy used cd's from django but much of their stuff had punches in bar codes or notches cut out of the jewel cases. I have a problem with that. Otherwise I use lasercd,cdinzane, or nightmare for new stuff.

I used to buy used cd's from django but much of their stuff had punches in bar codes or notches cut out of the jewel cases. I have a problem with that. Otherwise I use lasercd,cdinzane, or nightmare for new stuff.

Wow.. DJango is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Used to purchase used movies from them in college. I generally don't buy used CDs unless I'm purchasing them in person so I can see first hand the condition.

Around 1200 CDs. Probably around 500 tapes (not all metal). 2 Records. 1 8-Track.

Another who has the biggest dick thread...lol.

I have about 200 "regular" cd's, another 100 metal cd's, 200 vynil albums, 2 45's, 60 tapes, and about 10 gigs of mp3's on my pc.

So I guess in comparison to just about everyone else, I have a mushroom dick.