How popular is your favorite band?

Interesting on one level, though this should only be used as a single point of data in a much larger picture - I don't think it means much as a standalone example.

For example, Iron Maiden is obviously more popular in terms of being a business, both in dollars generated each year and total number of fans, when compared to the "most popular" band on this list. I'd say the same for Megadeth. Worldwide, I bet Maiden can headline just about anywhere and draw thousands, while many of these other bands may simply draw hundreds by comparison in the same areas...

yeah, we don't use myspace in Brazil.... We use orkut from google... (www.orkut.com) ahaha

i have a myspace for my american friends and an orkut for my brazilian friends... I could check the numbers of their orkut communities....)

Thanks for backing up my point (look above) :lol: Orkut.com is phenomenally more popular in Brazil than MySpace. Of all the bands I know in Brazil (plenty!) only 2 of them had a MySpace page before I encouraged them to get one. Even still, they only have a couple hundred friends on MySpace, yet thousands on orkut.com ... silly MySpace, slanting our views :lol:

There are a few missing but I am glad that Queensryche & Trouble were on the list. Trouble usually never gets a mention.

I saw a dude in Corpus Christi, TX wearing a Trouble shirt on Satuday night, so I went to say "hi" and shake his hand...assuming he was from Chicago or something...the dude was born-and-raised Corpus...just like me...

Now...if I had been reasonably sober, I might have attempted to establish some friendly relationship with this dude and coordinate some future contact...but I was really far gone and in no shape to do any male-on-male bonding with looking, well...(you know)...

I was so floored, I just said "nice shirt" and walked away...

Thus...even though my wife swears that I would willingly borne this guy's children, he fades away into oblivion in his kick ass Trouble shirt.

I fucking hate this town...

Rock on!

I just realized...

Why the fuck are we discussing Myspace and the metal community...?

Are we 12 years old...?

Is this the barometer to what's cool in North America...I'm going to go spin a Sentenced album (103,498 views) and blow my fucking brains out...

Rock on!

I just realized...

While I don't have a myspace membership, I do utilize it for checking out bands-- in the ProgPower USA realm, Volbeat-- their posted songs led me to buy both albums.

One of my favorite bands, Woods of Ypres, has been working on their 3rd album for over a year, and through Myspace I've been able to check out demo and finished versions of some of the new songs.

Many bands put a song or two out their prior to an album's release; it's a great way to either sample or be satiated until the whole album is released.

Thanks for backing up my point (look above) :lol: Orkut.com is phenomenally more popular in Brazil than MySpace. Of all the bands I know in Brazil (plenty!) only 2 of them had a MySpace page before I encouraged them to get one. Even still, they only have a couple hundred friends on MySpace, yet thousands on orkut.com ... silly MySpace, slanting our views :lol:

Sorry! =P yeah, I didn't read the whole thread before posting! :)

I just realized...

Are we 12 years old...?

Is this the barometer to what's cool in North America...I'm going to go spin a Sentenced album (103,498 views) and blow my fucking brains out...

Rock on!

lol yeah, why are we as metal fans discussing visible (but not completely accurate) methods of measuring a band's popularity? Why bother spending time discussing a quick and easy way to sample a song or three from bands?

Why? They just point you to myspace. For an obvious reason. Its less bandwidth cost for them for streaming media.

I go to myspace for a few reasons. Its really easy to check out a few songs, many advertise there. I can find out latest news there. Many bands update their myspace more often than their web site.

That's probably true, but the data still gives you some interesting information about how the two bands are regarded within a particular demographic.
While that assessment is accurate, I would suggest it's a demographic whose listening habits I don't much care about. To get a clear picture of what MySpace users are listening to:

The Crappy Tastes of MySpace Users

Their last.fm numbers are also interesting to compare: Nightwish has 19,310,130 plays/292,101 listeners, while Maiden has 20,455,222/354,147, which shows that Nightwish (unsurprisingly) has somewhat more "dedicated" fans than Iron Maiden, but also that last.fm users swing more towards Iron Maiden a bit more than myspace users.[/quote]I believe your original point was correct. This is an issue of demographics. Dedication couldn't have less to do with this.

Zod

honestly I think the best way to judge a bands popularity today would be their concert draw, there is no skewing that, no excuses (illegal downloads), ect

even so these numbers are actually not that unrealistic, especially when you consider the fact that they are worldwide. In europe Nightwish really are in the realm of Maiden popularity, and I think its safe to say that Dream Theater have more worldwide popularity, while Queensryche's is more state side only

and honestly, the only demographic that myspace doesn't hit so much are older people, which explains why maiden isn't as high. but its a very mixed demographic, unlike another site such as vampirefreaks or something :p

...while Queensryche's is more state side only

You were doing fine up to that point.

I'm suprised this threead is still going. I looked at it this morning and dismissed it completely. I am to believe that Lacuna Coil is a bigger band than Megadeth and Iron Maiden based on MySpace page views? I think not.

You were doing fine up to that point.

I'm suprised this threead is still going. I looked at it this morning and dismissed it completely. I am to believe that Lacuna Coil is a bigger band than Megadeth and Iron Maiden based on MySpace page views? I think not.
Lacuna Coil sold 100,000 plus copies in the US one their previous release. I doubt Megadeth, or Iron Maiden wiped them out in US sales during that period. Lacuna Coil is a viable band .. like it or not.

Britt

Sorry! =P yeah, I didn't read the whole thread before posting! :)
Oh I wasn't picking on you - you supported my point! ,,,and orkut.com is cooler than MySpace :cool:
Exactly. Myspace is a fucking joke. It's pointless and unneccesary. You want to check out a band? GO TO THEIR FUCKING WEBSITE! Now THAT'S a new idea!
I love checking out bands on MySpace - quick easy access to their music, photos, and news. What's the problem with that? What I don't like is having the numbers used as a gauge for popularity.
Saviour Machine 54,392 views :kickass:

Way to go SAVIOUR MACHINE!!! :kickass:

Lacuna Coil sold 100,000 plus copies in the US one their previous release. I doubt Megadeth, or Iron Maiden wiped them out in US sales during that period. Lacuna Coil is a viable band .. like it or not.

Britt

I have nothing against Lacuna Coil. They're a fairly decent band for what they do. Nevertheless, Lacuna Coil may be a "hot" band, but we'll see where they are in 20 years. As for out doing:

Megadeth:
"On September 14, 2004 Megadeth released their comeback album, The System Has Failed on Sanctuary Records in the US and EMI in Europe... The album debuted on the Billboard pop albums chart at #18, and was led by the single "Die Dead Enough", which reached #21 on the US Mainstream Rock charts."

"In the summer of 2005, Mustaine organized an annual heavy metal festival tour, dubbed Gigantour. Megadeth headlined the inaugural run with Dream Theater, Anthrax, Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan, Nevermore, Life of Agony, Symphony X, Dry Kill Logic and Bobaflex. Performances from the Montreal and Vancouver shows were filmed and recorded for a live DVD and CD, both of which were released in the summer of 2006"

"United Abominations was released on May 15, 2007. It debuted a week later at #8 in the US, the band's highest charting position since 1994's Youthanasia, and sold 54,000 copies in its first week."

Iron Maiden:
A Matter of Life and Death is the 14th studio album by English heavy metal band Iron Maiden. It was released on 25 August 2006 in Italy and in Finland, 28 August worldwide, and 5 September 2006 in the United States, Canada and Japan. It is the first Heavy Metal album to debut at #4 in India, and made it to #2 in the Indian charts. It is also one of the few rock/metal albums to go platinum in India. It is the first album in Iron Maiden's almost 30 year career to enter the U.S. Billboard charts in the top 10, and has seen significant chart success in many other countries.

No. I still think not.