How popular is your favorite band?

After reading this whole thread, I'm still not clear if the original #s are friends or page views. Anyway, if we're talking friends, I have some insights based on my own experiences. The #s by themselves mean nothing. If you know some context on how they run their page, then they mean something. To illustrate:

I know a Georgia death metal band with 15000 friends. I looked at the first 100 of them (yes, I looked at each and every profile). 75% of them showed no evidence whatsoever of liking any kind of metal at all. I suspect that of 15000 friends, less than 3000 even like their music. The rest seem to be people who simply accept all band requests. My guess is that the band uses an adder program to add massive amounts of people and many of them accept without ever even checking out the music. I know there was a time when I was that way with my page (I always intended to go back and check out the tunes "when I got time").

Some bands accept all friend requests. That includes spammer profiles.

On the other hand, I help administer the Theocracy site (shameless plug: http://www.myspace.com/theocracyband - come on over!). We check every profile that asks to get added and make sure they have some legit connection (power metal fan, local GA music fan, etc). The band may only have 950 friends, but I feel pretty confident they actually have 950 real ones there! We have yet to spend much time seeking out fans - they've all come to the site on their own so far.

I just read an article with some interesting stats on myspace usage.

MySpace v. Facebook: Competing Addictions:
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1675244,00.html?imw=Y

"as of last week, the MySpace domain is one of the most visited domain amongst U.S. Internet users, accounting for 4.92% of all Internet visits. At its peak in June of this year, the site accounted for 7% of all Internet visits."

7% of ALL internet visits in the US = myspace. That's one big reason bands put more into their myspace page than their actual page.