I also picked up PC69 - Thunderdome

Stoink

Feb 23, 2005
Kansas
I was kind of skeptical about PC69 playing at progpower this year because I heard they were a gothic/glam metal band. Then I heard the sample on pp main website which kicks ass, so I went out and I got the cd today. Which turned to be a very good cd. I wouldnt classify it as gothic at all I say it is melodic metal with a tinge of glam, but it is a good tinge.(I usually hate any kind of glam). I didnt much care for the ballad at all and their take on My sharona was interesting. Overall the album is solid and I hope to hear alot of songs from this record because it is the only I have.

Peace

Stoink

ps I will also have my opinion about Lemuria/Sirius B tomorrow which is the other cd I picked up today. I know these "reviews" are kind of late but I am fairly new to progpower genre, but let me tell you that I am loving it.

How could anyone describe PC69 as "gothic" in any shape, form, or fashion? Has the term gothic, when applied to music, become so diluted that it is now referring to good-time pop metal bands?

(P.S. This is not a cut on you by any means, Stoink - merely the person who described the album to you in such a way. I just wish people would quit labelling everything as "goth")

I totally understand where you are coming from because there is nothing gothic about this band what so ever. Do you have other PC 69 releases and if so which ones can you recommend or should I say which ones do you think they will be playing off of at progpower.

peace

stoink

I agree on the liberal use of goth to describe anything, even if it's one band member wears black on stage it seems. Same way with psychedelic, way too many bands are labeled that. As for PC 69, the only CD I remember is their S/T one, and it sounded like vintage Dokken to me, but that was back before the current singer, so they may have changed alot since then.

Stoink said:
I totally understand where you are coming from because there is nothing gothic about this band what so ever. Do you have other PC 69 releases and if so which ones can you recommend or should I say which ones do you think they will be playing off of at progpower.

peace

stoink

Stoink said:

peace

stoink

I expect they'll be playing mostly the Readman era stuff. I recommend Endangered, Sonic Dynamite, and Electrified. If you're only getting one more then my top pick is Endangered.

Stoink said:
Do you have other PC 69 releases and if so which ones can you recommend or should I say which ones do you think they will be playing off of at progpower.

I haven't heard any other than "Thunderdome," but I'll be watching this thread as well since I like what I have heard of the band and I want to be more familiar with their material when ProgPower rolls around.

General Zod said:
You should check out either "Electrified" or "Sonic Dynamite". Both, in my opinion, are vastly superior to "Thunderdome".

Zod
I would agree with Zod on this, except I wouldn't use the phrase 'vastly superior'. That being said, Electrified & Sonic Dynamite are both great albums, and my faves by PC 69, though I happen to like Thunderdome very much, as well.

Stoink said:

peace

stoink

I've said this before, you can't go wrong with any of the Readman releases! Electrified is a close second to Thunderdome for me. You can get it really cheap right now from Amazon. Does anyone have any recommendations from the Andy Deris era?

General Zod said:
You should check out either "Electrified" or "Sonic Dynamite". Both, in my opinion, are vastly superior to "Thunderdome".

Zod
i ended up getting Electrified but i like Thunderdome better... just rocks harder. but then again, Electrified had some nice songs on it...