Iced Earth/In Flames - Concert Review

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
As we approached the The World @ WWF last night, the first thing that struck me was just how long the line to get in was. I couldn’t believe it, especially since the doors had opened a half hour earlier. We went and grabbed a bite, a few beers, and came back expecting the line to be all but gone. Surprisingly, it had actually grown longer, even though they were letting people in, at a pretty good clip. I had no idea that Iced Earth and In Flames would draw this size crowd.

We got in a few minutes after Jag Panzer had finished their set. From what I could gather from talking to a few people, they weren’t very good, and had to fight through some sound problems to boot. I will post a Jag Panzer review when I see this same bill on Saturday in Philly. When In Flames came on the crowd was totally into them. They played the songs (listed in no particular order) that you would expect (this list is incomplete): Clay Man, Bullet Ride, Only for the Weak, Pinball Map, Embody the Invisible, Ordinary Story, Behind Space, Gyroscope, Episode 666.

All in all, In Flames kicked ass! My brother, who isn’t all that into Metal, and who had never heard In Flames, left with a new In Flames t-shirt. They were very energetic, sounded great, and the crowd was completely into their performance. If Iced Earth didn’t have a vastly superior catalog to draw from, In Flames would have stolen the show.

Before Iced Earth came on, the crowd of nearly 2,000 thinned a bit. I witnessed this very same thing happen when Opeth opened for Nevermore. Apparently, there are more than a few hardcore fans of extreme Metal that aren’t as open-minded as the rest of us, and moronically decided not to stay for Iced Earth. None the less, the place was still jammed with over 1,500 loyal Iced Earth fans.

After now having seen Iced Earth live, let me just say that “Alive in Athens” should never have been released. Not only does it give a less than accurate picture of the band as a whole, but it completely misrepresents Matthew Barlow. After listening to “Alive in Athens” a few times, I walked away thinking, “Well, he’s solid live, but not as good as he is on disc.” Nothing could be farther from the truth. Barlow is better live than he is on disc. He is every bit the vocal god I had hoped he would be, and more!

Iced Earth played the following (in order of release date): Iced Earth, Pure Evil, Violate, The Hunter, Scarred, Slave to the Dark, Question of Heaven, Melancholy, Watching Over Me, My Own Savior, Prophecy, Birth of the Wicked, The Coming Curse, Wolf, Damien, Jack, Jeckyl & Hyde, Dracula. They began the show with an instrumental rendition of “The Star Spangled Bannner”. As I was aware that they were going to play the national anthem as an opener, I was very disappointed that they chose to perform an instrumental version. You hear so many bad singers perform “The Star Spangled Banner” before events, that it would have been really cool to hear Barlow take a crack at it.

The highlights of the show included the “Something Wicked Trilogy”, “Melancholy” and “Damien”. Surprisingly, I would say that “The Suffering” trilogy, from the “Dark Saga” disc, was at times a bit dull. I think it’s too atmospheric at points, and with Barlow’s vocals a little low in the mix, it came across a tad weak. The fairly nice sized pit that had been present through all of In Flames, and most of Iced Earth, seemed to morph into a group of folks who just sort of absorbed the music, rather than reacted to it. However, overall, the crowd was very, very into Iced Earth… as one would expect.

I have often speculated that Iced Earth is a good band, whose lead singer lifts them into the patheon of Metal greatness. This is even more true in a live setting, than it is on disc. The rest of the band is solid musically. But as far as stage presence and energy go, they aren’t likely to draw comparisons to Nevermore anytime soon. Granted, you have to cut Jon some slack, as he has had to have bones in his neck fused from raging so violently earlier in his career. But none the less, at times, it almost feels like a one man show. Barlow, who is constantly working the crowd (a lot more than “Alive in Athens” would have you believe), is energetic, and most certainly has a presence about him. He never misses a note, whether in range, pitch or duration. It was the best vocal performance I have witnessed since watching Geoff Tate perform “Operation: Mindcrime” in its entirety during Queensryche’s “Building Empires” tour, and I left an even bigger Barlow fan (if that’s possible) than I was when I arrived.

All in all, it was a great show. I was thrilled with the set list, especially with the inclusion of “Dracula”, as from what I’ve read it was not performed during the first two shows of Iced Earth’s North American tour. Although, I was a bit surprised at the absence of “I Died for You”.

On a side note, while the sound, lighting, and cleanliness of The World was top flight (and really, that’s the most important thing), they attempt to exploit their concert goers at every turn. My wife was charged $9 for coat check, and they charged $5 for bottled water (which was WWF water that they probably got out of the bathroom tap). Additionally, while waiting to get a t-shirt, some huge guy kept yelling, “If you’re not buying merchandice, get the f**k out!”. Somehow I bet the non-Metal crowds are not treated this way by the staff.

As I know a few folks on this board went to last night's show, I'd be curious to hear their take on the concert.

GZ

I'm sure most of you regulars are aware of my "Iced Earth - Power Metal" thread, and based on the comments I made with my opinions on the band, it's no secret that I wan't exactly what you would call a 'fan'. Nevertheless, I could appreciate certain qualities, and this was enough to warrant paying $20 to see them in Times Square, NYC.

Let me just get this over with now - and particularly in light of General Zod's elaborate review - my opinions of Iced Earth have drastically changed, and for the better. And seeing them live really added the dimension to their sound that I felt they sorely lacked with their studio efforts. This is not to say that I think their albums lack good production values, I'm just surprisingly pleased with how much better they sound live. Once upon a time I would have believed that, in general, most metal bands performed better live, but thinking back in hindsight, the excitement of the atmosphere sometimes would probably cloud the true values of the actual performance. I'm not going to name names, but a certain metal band that recently split after 20 years were probably the worst live band in history, and I saw them seven times just because I loved their albums so much....

Nevertheless, last night I stood and watched Iced Earth in awe - technical brilliance, shattering dual guitar melodies and slicing rhythm sections, astounding drums and bass, BUT the real show stealer was Matt Barlow. Again, let me point out, I was not the biggest Iced Earth fan going into the auditorium and in particular I had always felt that Matt Barlows vocals had always been a little 'overproduced' on their CDs - perhaps in the same way Hansi Kursh is supported by 100 vocal tracks and harmonies on the newer BG albums. However, on the contrary, and in agreement with GZ, Matt Barlow sings better live than he does in the studio. The emotion that pours out is just so dynamic and exhuberating that he manages to pull you into his world of angelic choirs and screaming demons. At which point did I become a true believer in this vocal genius? During the outro vocals to Wolf - how on earth he can sing the higher pitched harmony vocals from the album, and hit them with such accuracy, is splendidly beyond this humble spectator - yours truly.

I need to address a couple of points that GZ made in his review. First of all, I saw the entire Jag Panzer set and IMO they were phenomenal. Their sound, and I am being honest, was extraordinary - the fact that they were only able to play a handful of songs was unfortunate, but they did concede to two other bigger bands ready to take the stage. Jag Panzer reminded me of early Maiden - you know, just before Maiden were selling out stadiums. The guitars worked in perfect harmony, and the vocals were top notch. One of the highlights of the entire evening was seeing Jag Panzer perform "Take to the Sky", and that song alone reminds me of Aces High.

Secondly, I am sorry to say this, but I am not a fan of extreme metal (if In Flames are indeed considered "extreme"), and I can confirm right now that I am STILL not a fan of this kind of music. I am just stating an opinion, not a fact - vocalists like Matt Barlow, Bruce Dickinson, Hansi Kursh, Tobias Sammet are much more my 'cup of tea'. I cannot, and probably will not, ever understand death or doom type incoherent vocals - to me, you can keep your In Flames, BalSagoth, and Napalm Death type bands :zzz: - to me, Iced Earth is as heavy as I like it. The performance of In Falmes alone was enough for me to sit at the bar and have a few beers with my wife. However, I admit I was in the minority last night - it did seem that the majority of the crowd went to this concert for In Flames, and they definatley did disperse just before Iced Earth took the stage.

Anyway, to summarize my new found happiness :D , I bought an Iced Earth t-shirt (the one with Damien on the front) and my wife bought the baby-doll Iced Earth t-shirt. I also came home, logged on to the web, and ordered Burnt Offerings to add to my existing 'collection' of Something Wicked and Horror Show.

Iced Earth highlights of the night for me were: Wolf, Damien (the best song of the night IMO), My Own Savior, Pure Evil, and a real standout, The Hunter. I had never heard The Hunter before, and I took an instant liking to it. Again, this is largely due to the fantastic live performance.

(Note to GZ: I could have sworn they also played Blessed Are You, but you didn't include that on your list - was I imagining things...?) :eek:

Bad points: The staff at WWF are the biggest assholes I have seen in a long time. I won't go on about it because it probably needs it's own thread but their treatment of us in the line was extraordinarily bad - I don't understand what their complaint was because the crowd was exceptionally well behaved :mad: . In addition, there are too many blind spots in the WWF - pillars, staircases, restaurant type seating at the periphery, and about 10 television sets with only 3 of them working. I'm not sure if it's the greatest venue for live performances to be honest, and I'm a little skeptical about the acoustics of the place too.

There's probably a hundred other things I could mention (both good and bad) but I think you get my overall drift. Jag Panzer were great fun (and I'm floored by their lead guitarist who sweeps appregios as good as Michael Romeo or any other guitar virtuoso). I'll plead the fifth on In Flames, and Iced Earth proved that they are worth their weight in gold.

Just quickly, and to another point GZ made, although several fans really appreciate the trilogy from the Dark Saga (especially since Matt Barlow explained that they will probably never play it live again after this tour), I personally believe that it killed the momentum of the entire play list. The songs may be great, and I hate to say this, but I got bored, and they should not have played it when they did - it was too soon to slow the momentum down to a standstill. There just isn't enough going on in those songs for my liking, but if I had it my way, I would have preferred to see them do a rendition of Im-Ho-Tep and Reaping Stone instead. And I certainly would not have complained of a live rendition of Transylvania!! Other than the minor glitches, the overall performance was stellar - and Matt Barlow was the real star of the night.

The world is not worthy. :worship:

maestro-

It's good to have you in the Iced Earth camp.

As I said in my post, I will most certainly give Jag Panzer every chance to grab my interest at the Philly show on Saturday night. I am however surprised to learn that there were no sound problems, given that someone else I spoke with said there were. Not that it really matters...

I am fairly certain they didn't play "Blessed are You" last night.

As for In Flames, your view is certainly understandable. I too prefer the classic singing style, but the extreme style has grown on me, albeit in time. I do think that it's tough to get into that style in a live setting. It's also tough to get into when the singer doesn't mix in clean vox as well. You might want to check out Soilwork's latest "Natural Born Chaos". Their singer uses both extreme and clean vox. The CD is by far the best disc released this year (and I am not the only one who thinks that). Highly recommended.

GZ

Originally posted by General Zod
You might want to check out Soilwork's latest "Natural Born Chaos". Their singer uses both extreme and clean vox.

GZ

Mmmm, it's not like I'm an extreme vocals bigot, but I have tried to venture down this path before. You know, GZ, there is so much good stuff out there, I don't feel the need to go into that territory - yet. I can never say never, but I am still at the 'crawling' stage.

I recently bought Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' on the strength of the hype, and with all honesty, I cannot stand it. I've tried it several times, and it does nothing for me. Although I can perhaps understand why it got such rave reviews, it definately doesn't fit into my world.

I looked at the Soilwork review on www.metal-rules.com (I like their reviews generally), and although it got a better-than-average review, it was described as "Gothenburg Death Metal". That put me off a little - maybe I'll try to find an MP3 somewhere first....

I'll let you know.

:worship: ICED EARTH in Montreal!!!:worship:

Turning an agitating situation into a GREAT one.

Sunday morning, making the trip from New Hampshire to Montreal for the ICED EARTH show. Its gonna be a good day.

Get to the Canadian Border, and two guys with long hair stop at customs to cross, it must have sent up some sorta red flag, or maybe just they had to meet quota, who knows, but we get detained so they can do a bit of a background check. Alls fine, just gonna be a short delay..........we thought.

Sitting in the customs building, waiting ever so patiently as they check out our identities, two busses roll up to the boarder...

Could it be??

Of course customs cant be to careful these days, so the border officer decides he needs to take a closer look throughout the bus, so he has them park along side the building.

We watch thru the window as they busses stop and the passengers make their way into the custom office where a couple of long-haired guys are waiting ever so patiently to get permission to go into canada.

So just imagine our surprise as we gotta sit in a customs office for a couple of hours with all the guys from :yow: ICED EARTH, IN FLAMES, and JAG PANZER.

After taking over a table, and having four promo posters, and about twenty cds signed by all the bands, and a whole lotta pictures, we finally made our way to the show.

my review............

JAG PANZER had some technical difficulites, so their sound wasnt what it should have been, so they getta pass, besides they are some great guys. HARRY is a helluva storyteller, he kept us in stiches for over an hour.

IN FLAMES These guys are talented, and entertaining, They had the crowd in a frenzy and I will agree with another of the posts on this thread, I think if they were on stage with anyone other than the gods themselves, ICED EARTH,.....they wouldda stole the show.

ICED EARTH :OMG:

Soundwise.......I dont think they could have been better.
Talentwise......They are on top of their game, these guys are BIG TIME!!
They were in canada, so they didnt play the star spangled banner, but we were treated to a floor shaking rendition of I DIED FOR YOU, as well as all the other great tunes that were mentioned above. Im still in awe, I went to this show expecting a whole lot from all that i have read and I it was all that and then some.

Anyone who hasnt seen these guys live ........just do so.......THEY ARE THAT GOOD.

Wow cool to read these reviews on In Flames! I've been into In Flames ever since Jestors Race came out... I;ve only been into Iced Earth for a little over 8 mo. now. In Flames have come a long long way since thier beginning and have really matured well since the start as most good bands do. I cannot wait for 4/29 for the show I am pumped for that! Btw.... it took me a long time to get used to growling vocals and for a long time I just depised it...but after listening to Dark Tranquillity and In Flames I just could not not stop picking my jaw off the ground.

Originally posted by General Zod
Before Iced Earth came on, the crowd of nearly 2,000 thinned a bit. I witnessed this very same thing happen when Opeth opened for Nevermore. Apparently, there are more than a few hardcore fans of extreme Metal that aren’t as open-minded as the rest of us, and moronically decided not to stay for Iced Earth. None the less, the place was still jammed with over 1,500 loyal Iced Earth fans.

Hell, I would have left after Jag Panzer. :)

:headbang:

I went to see Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer last night at the Metro in Chicago, and might I say, I was completely blown away by all. I have seen IE and In Flames one other time each and this floored me. In Flames played everything and then pulled out Artifacts of the Black Reign and I didn't think I would ever hear them play that. No new song as far as I know for us though. But they still killed. The only problem I had with their set was that there was entirely too much bouncing for me. I didn't think I would ever see that at an In Flames show, but I guess there is a first for everything.

Jag Panzer was amazing. This was my first time seeing them and they ran through some of their best tracks. The crowd was really into them too, which surprised me. Iced Earth came on and the entire place erupted. It was amazing. They played a solid two hours which was something that I thought I would never get to see unless I went to Europe. Plus they played Watching Over Me, which I know is kind of a wimpy song, but it means a lot to me. That is one of my favorite songs by them and I finally got to see them play it live.

All in all, it was an amazing night.

That tour never came here, but I would of loved to see the show. I just want to make some comments on so called extreme metal vocals. I was not a fan of them at all. If the vocals were death/black I didn't like them. There is one band that changed my attitude towards those vocals, and that band is Borknagar. Their new cd, with their new great vocalist, Vintersorg, blew me away. The reason I got the cd because one of my fav drummers, Asgeir, is on that cd, and it turned out being a great cd, and I got use to the black vocals. If you don't have the newest Borknagar cd Empiricism, get it, it is awesome. The next band to change my opinion about black/death vocals was Children of Bodom. Now I appreciate the vocals and they don't annoy me anymore. It takes a while to get use to the vocals, but once you do, it opens a door to tons and tons of other good stuff. Now I am a fan of Immortal, emperor, soilwork, death, carcass, after forever, and so on. One band I can;t get into is Opeth, they are so boring, and all of their songs sound the same. No originality in their playing, in my opinion, they just go on forever and forever, and their music lacks melody, IMHO.

It comes across as a cop out though IMO. I mean, listening to In Flames (Clayman) screaming to power metal melodies is just wrong. The whole point of brutal vocals in the first place was because it matched the aggression of the music.

Cannibal Corpse, yes. In Flames, no. Soilwork, sometimes.

There isn't suppose to be a point to those type of vocals. There isn't a rule that says the vocals have to be to aggressive music. A lot of black metal is really melodic, in a weird form. Especially Borknagar, and their lyrics are really deep and are really good. Death metal, the lyrics are usually pretty crappy, but black metal, the lyrics are usually very poetical. It is just a style that is used. If it was the other way around, operatic vocals to agressive music, then people will like that. When a band tries doing something out of the ordinary, then people condemn them, especially in the case of bands like in flames and children of bodom. My first listen to children of bodom, I was expecting power metal type vocals, but they weren't, but after I got use to the vocals, now I think it fits the music. In flames does a metallica cover, and the singer sings clean, and he has a great singing voice, he just chooses to do differently with their music. I am just basically saying, everything doesn't have a point, especially in music. it is a singing style, not a music style, so the vocals fit, if you let them. if you don't want them to fit, then they won't.

First off, it depends on who you define as "Death" and "Black" metal. If Opeth qualifies as "Death", I'll take their lyrics over those of any "Black" metal band. I also don't find Black Metal lyrics to be poetic. I do, however, find them to be a really poor attempts at poetry. It often seems as though they are trying to squeeze as many Old English sounding words into a sentence, regardless of whether or not they actually fit.

GZ

Originally posted by rushzil2112
There isn't suppose to be a point to those type of vocals. There isn't a rule that says the vocals have to be to aggressive music.

No there are no rules - I am just saying that they are out of place IMO. Just imagine how much better In Flames would sound if he didn't scream like that over those great melody lines!

OK, I'm being facetious, but it is interesting that older In Flames fans think they sold out and preferred them when they were actually considered 'death' and would never have dreamed of playing major chords.

@GZ - thanks for the Soilwork recommendation - Natural Born Chaos is now in my car cd player everywhere I go!