Iced Earth Summer Tour

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I've been really getting into Iced Earth lately, so that prompted me to visit their website. It basically says that they're planning on releasing a DVD, and that they plan on touring during the summer of 2005. Does anyone think that they are a possibility for ProgPower? Personally, I think it would be great! Not as great as seeing Masterplan, but Iced Earth is way up on the list.

Well Schaffer was at prog power III I believe (or was it IV?) so I suppose its possible that his band would go. But I don't think Iced Earth fall into the PROG/POWER realm so much. I think people are leaning more towards Demons and Wizards if Schaffer is to play at Prog Power. But hey, Iced Earth would be nice none the less since I couldn't see them in LA last year due to having to work 13 hour days to cover a strike (being a manager sucks)

Landisb said:
Well Schaffer was at prog power III I believe (or was it IV?) so I suppose its possible that his band would go. But I don't think Iced Earth fall into the PROG/POWER realm so much. I think people are leaning more towards Demons and Wizards if Schaffer is to play at Prog Power. But hey, Iced Earth would be nice none the less since I couldn't see them in LA last year due to having to work 13 hour days to cover a strike (being a manager sucks)

Schaffer was indeed at III (he introduced Blind Guardian at the show). Schaffer also acknowledged to me during the fest that he intended to bring I.E. to Progpower IV at the time. Obviously those plans changed, but I.E. would definitely be welcome at the fest and would put on a heckuva show. I completely agree though, that D & W would make a much better choice from a "rare or North American debut" appearance standpoint. But in terms of drawing power, I.E. would be right there at the top.

Dark One said:
Schaffer was indeed at III (he introduced Blind Guardian at the show). Schaffer also acknowledged to me during the fest that he intended to bring I.E. to Progpower IV at the time. Obviously those plans changed, but I.E. would definitely be welcome at the fest and would put on a heckuva show. I completely agree though, that D & W would make a much better choice from a "rare or North American debut" appearance standpoint. But in terms of drawing power, I.E. would be right there at the top.
I've been a fan of IE's for years, but believe it or not I've never managed to make it to one of their live shows. I would be extremely happy if it wound up that Prog Power was my first opportunity to see them live.

Britt

Iced Earth I guess would be nice. Not even close to Ayreon......but it would be really really awesome if they played prog-power and brought Barlow back for the show.

I kind of see them as too big for prog-power, though......I doubt they'd be playing.

I definitely wouldn't complain but I agree that they are probably too big for prog/power. They did do a pretty successful US tour last summer. And yes Ripper does rule!!!

\m/

I saw them on their last tour with Ripper, and I think he's the best replacement they could have gotten. Even so, I don't think he can compare to the power of Barlow's voice.....and I've never seen them live with Barlow.

I hope it isn't Iced Earth. Not that I don't like them - but I just saw them last spring - they tour regularly in the USA. I say let BWBK pick up a band like that. Glenn runs more of a class act type show - a showcase - it's generally geared towards bands you won't find at your local club.

Well.... since they still don't have a bass player or lead guitarist picked out, I'd say a Prog Power showing, or even a summer tour, is gonna be iffy. Now, don't get me wrong... I've seen IE with Barlow twice, and with Ripper twice, and Blind Guardian twice, and I don't give a damn which combination of this I can get my greasy mitts on... but Iced Earth is NOT too big to play at ProgPower. They are PERFECT to play ProgPower. They can tear it up, and you know it.

Now then..... if we could get Blind Guardian AND Iced Earth each to do a set, and then a big fat Demons and Wizards set to close the festival, GAME OVER!

I think Iced Earth would be a good fit for Progpower.

I saw them last year with Evergrey opening and it was one of the better shows I saw that year.

I can understand the argument of Iced Earth being too big for the festival. If Glenn ever moved it to a bigger venue, then they would be a smart business choice! I wasn't able to check them out last year, but I've heard they were great with Ripper. Alive In Athens has to be the best sounding live album I've ever heard. It's almost rediculous it's so tight!

Hmm, we thought they sounded pretty good here ("Hey, this sounds like Judas Priest covering Iced Earth songs....cool"), but, not being as huge an Iced Earth fan as some, I was (imagine this, if you can)....hanging out with Evergrey and CoB back at the bar.

:)