Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer's new solo project - Sons of Liberty

I think my biggest complaint is that the highest quality audio you can buy for this is 256kbps mp3s. I was hoping for lossless, or at least v0 compression.

Aside from that, it's pretty solid musically. Digging it more than Crucible of Man, at least. Trying to keep my political views from affecting my opinion of the music.

Musically, I don't like it very much. It's more of the same slow, plodding stuff that was extremely exposed on Crucible of Man. Also, the repetitive choruses that are reminiscent of newer Iced Earth are there as well (I miss the choruses of old...these are just, different and I can't put my finger on what it is). Even when the guitars seem to kick in some low rumble and some good distortion, the riffs come off boring and uninspired. His vocals are not terrible, and they do not even really contribute to why I think this is musically weak. The melodies kind of suck, yes, and the music just comes off as wiffle ball when I'd rather get baseball. The lyrics, while simple, do not come off as uninspired...but...therein lies my biggest problem with this project.

And, of course, I do not agree with the message...at all. The conspiracy notions, the anti-Obama message, the non-hidden libertarian tones, this idea that all of a sudden with a party change America is marching toward its destruction, and this sense of "purpose" that somehow the MESSAGE needs to get out...fuck this. If you go to the website, it's even worse. Links to books by Ron Paul and Glenn Beck. Links to documentaries about how America is turning into a fascist country. Links to documentaries that say global warming is a hoax, anti-globalization propaganda, etc. etc. etc., the idea that you have to be super proud to be an American and only then are you a true patriot.:puke: I'm sorry, it's all too much for me. At least I know that there's no religious backing behind all this shit, or I'd be even more turned off...seriously. I'm not saying it's all right wing stuff, but it's too much stuff that just is not part of the way I think or feel.

Jon, I still love your body of work, man. But please please please remember how to fucking thrash and leave all this shit behind....soon.:cry:

I really dig this album. I can understand why a lot of people don't dig it, and have a problem with it.

I went into this album without the mentality of it being an Iced Earth album, or a Jon Schaffer solo album, but just an album based on some ideas and principals I believe in and agree with. I think that has a lot to do with why I like this album.

I really dig this album. I can understand why a lot of people don't dig it, and have a problem with it.

I went into this album without the mentality of it being an Iced Earth album, or a Jon Schaffer solo album, but just an album based on some ideas and principals I believe in and agree with. I think that has a lot to do with why I like this album.

I completely agree. I listened with the same mentality. If I thought it was going to sound like an Iced Earth album and listened with that mentality, then I probably wouldn't have liked it nearly as much. I listened to it after immersing myself in the idea of what it was supposed to be and saw it's absolute brilliance.

I know it's a free download but man is that a horrible sounding mp3. Trying to ignore that to see if it's worth the $7.99 for the "super duper high resolution (funny word for audio)" version and I'm not feeling it.

I think I'll just listen to Glorious Burden again and maybe "Violate". :headbang:

I certainly would hate it less if it didn't have all that stupid lyrical shit in there, but I think I covered how I think the music sucks in my post as well. So yeah, it'd still be really bad (but not as bad, I guess)

My personal beliefs have no bearing on my enjoyment of any music, regardless of 'message'.
Really? So would you buy an Arghoslent CD, for instance?

When I first heard Hornets of the Pogrom, I was intent on picking up a copy of the disc. However, once I read the lyrics, I scatched the disc from my buy list. Same thing goes for music with religious and/or political messages I don't agree with. And it's for that reason, I won't bother with the Sons of Liberty disc. The message would completely deter my enjoyment of the music.

Zod

Really? So would you buy an Arghoslent CD, for instance?

When I first heard Hornets of the Pogrom, I was intent on picking up a copy of the disc. However, once I read the lyrics, I scatched the disc from my buy list. Same thing goes for music with religious and/or political messages I don't agree with. And it's for that reason, I won't bother with the Sons of Liberty disc. The message would completely deter my enjoyment of the music.

Zod

I won't buy music from bands who are trying to spread racist themes (or other objectionable material). I will listen to bands with political ideas I disagree with. If I didn't, much of the 60s would be lost to me, but I refuse to not listen to Baez just because she and I have a difference in opinion (and it comes through in a number of her songs).

I think I'm more likely to accept a band with lyrics I agree with, even if their music falls short, but I rarely hold political messages that I disagree with against the author, especially if they portray it well.

...but I rarely hold political messages that I disagree with against the author, especially if they portray it well.
It does seem that I'm in the minority on this. Although I don't much care if I'm in the minority, I am a bit surprised. To my mind, music should inspire. I just can't be inspired by music with a message I find un-inspirational.

Zod

Arghoslent is a great example, dude. I think they are a brilliant band, musically; but SHIT, their lyrics and backing ideology are just too much. It sucks, because if they're were just going on about "standard" death metal fare, they would still probably be one of my top 5 favorite death metal bands.

There are some NSBM bands that are actually fucking awesome too, but...no way will I ever use money to support that kind of shit. Ever.

Another question (not specifically directed at you or anything): If the album had the same music, vocals, and vocal melodies, but with anti-America lyrics, would it get the same level of hate?
I'm not sure I follow you on "anti-America lyrics" but for me, the major holdup with this album is the music, not the lyrics. He could be singing about elves, hobbits, unicorns, beer, baseball, how to repair the engine in a 1996 Honda Accord, or pretty much anything else you can think of - the fact remains that the songs he wrote wouldn't interest me.

For those that like the album - what are your favorite songs so far?

Mine:

Indentured Servitude - I love the verse melody that Jon sings, and these are probably his best vocals on the entire disc.

Don't Tread of Me - Awesome riffing with the lead guitar that appears throughout the song, which reminds me of Im-Ho-Tep from Horror Show. It's got my favorite chorus on the entire disc as well.

False Flag - because it's the most aggressive song, and Jon really unleashes hell, sounding more pissed off than ever.

For those that like the album - what are your favorite songs so far?

Mine:

Indentured Servitude - I love the verse melody that Jon sings, and these are probably his best vocals on the entire disc.

Don't Tread of Me - Awesome riffing with the lead guitar that appears throughout the song, which reminds me of Im-Ho-Tep from Horror Show. It's got my favorite chorus on the entire disc as well.

False Flag - because it's the most aggressive song, and Jon really unleashes hell, sounding more pissed off than ever.

I definitely agree on all 3 points. I loved We The People, but I now think that it is becoming my favorite on the disc. Also, Jeckyll Island, I really, really enjoy that song. I played that and Don't Tread On Me on the radio show I'm on sometimes, the other night. Everyone in the studio really liked both of them.

I have a question for everyone.

It seems Jon's album appeals to people who (a) already agree with his political ideology, or (b) generally like his stuff anyway. Some people say they don't like it because he's not aggressive enough. But I suspect it's possible that many of those who dislike Sons of Liberty do so because they don't like/agree with his ideology.

Here's my question: Did Jon's album cause anyone here (who wasn't already familiar with it) to research/investigate/check out his source material?

I just wonder if he's preaching to the choir and won't - as I suspect he wants to do - create any new converts to his brand of patriotism.

Bill