Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer's new solo project - Sons of Liberty

Here's my question: Did Jon's album cause anyone here (who wasn't already familiar with it) to research/investigate/check out his source material?
I was already familiar with some of it but I also read several of the links he posted that I had never seen before. Without getting into the political aspects since this isn't the correct forum, there are some specific points I agree with but neither the album nor the source material had any effect on my views.

However, the music is still why I didn't like it. If he'd written songs like "Creator Failure" and "Brainwashed" but with political messages instead of anti-religious messages, I'd be loving it even if the lyrical content did nothing for me.

Musically, I don't like it very much. It's more of the same slow, plodding stuff that was extremely exposed on Crucible of Man. Also, the repetitive choruses that are reminiscent of newer Iced Earth are there as well (I miss the choruses of old...these are just, different and I can't put my finger on what it is). Even when the guitars seem to kick in some low rumble and some good distortion, the riffs come off boring and uninspired. His vocals are not terrible, and they do not even really contribute to why I think this is musically weak. The melodies kind of suck, yes, and the music just comes off as wiffle ball when I'd rather get baseball. The lyrics, while simple, do not come off as uninspired...but...therein lies my biggest problem with this project.

And, of course, I do not agree with the message...at all. The conspiracy notions, the anti-Obama message, the non-hidden libertarian tones, this idea that all of a sudden with a party change America is marching toward its destruction, and this sense of "purpose" that somehow the MESSAGE needs to get out...fuck this. If you go to the website, it's even worse. Links to books by Ron Paul and Glenn Beck. Links to documentaries about how America is turning into a fascist country. Links to documentaries that say global warming is a hoax, anti-globalization propaganda, etc. etc. etc., the idea that you have to be super proud to be an American and only then are you a true patriot.:puke: I'm sorry, it's all too much for me. At least I know that there's no religious backing behind all this shit, or I'd be even more turned off...seriously. I'm not saying it's all right wing stuff, but it's too much stuff that just is not part of the way I think or feel.

Jon, I still love your body of work, man. But please please please remember how to fucking thrash and leave all this shit behind....soon.:cry:

Pretty much, this.

Really? So would you buy an Arghoslent CD, for instance?

When I first heard Hornets of the Pogrom, I was intent on picking up a copy of the disc. However, once I read the lyrics, I scatched the disc from my buy list. Same thing goes for music with religious and/or political messages I don't agree with. And it's for that reason, I won't bother with the Sons of Liberty disc. The message would completely deter my enjoyment of the music.

Zod

I don't think supprting the music by purchasing should also assume you are supporting the cause they are backing...but I can agree with that if lyrics are easily heard and I wouldn't agree with it would affect my listening, just because of that, not because I don't want to spread their word or anything..

Here's my question: Did Jon's album cause anyone here (who wasn't already familiar with it) to research/investigate/check out his source material?

Since I was already familiar with his source material, no, it didn't drive me to investigate anything further.

After two listens, it's really not driving me to listen to it further, either. Jon can still occasionally write a hook, but I'm really starting to think he's lost it as a songwriter.

No. The fact that he writes songs I choose to listen to, doesn't carry any political clout with me. In addition, I'm familiar with half of his sources already. And those that I'm familiar with would negate any need I might otherwise feel to become familiar with the other half.

Zod

Great answers, guys. That's what I was looking to discover.

It seems to come down to this: if people dig his source material, they may still like, embrace, and enjoy his new music - perhaps against their better judgment since it's not as heavy as traditional Iced Earth. If they don't, well, then the music's shortcomings become an issue.

Bottom line: Sons of Liberty may not win Jon any new fans and it may, in fact, leave a bast taste in the mouths of existing fans.

Interesting. Really interesting. Thanks for answering!

Bill

Bottom line: Sons of Liberty may not win Jon any new fans and it may, in fact, leave a bast taste in the mouths of existing fans.
I think an interesting complementary poll to this would be to pose the inverse question at the Alex Jones forums (or somewhere similar) - were they familiar with Iced Earth before being exposed to Sons of Liberty, and what their thoughts are on the project. It's entirely possible that he gained new fans through SoL, but people in that group aren't likely to be found at this forum since almost everyone here was already familiar with his music.

I really could care less about the source material. I love Jon's music, plain and simple. If I had the time, I may read a few links, but I don't listen to these songs for this particular lyrical content, even though I may agree with some of it.

The lyrical content prevents me from loving it, but I like it musically so far. Jeckyll Island has been the standout song to me so far (the one I'm hitting "repeat") on.

It does not surprise me that digging on the ideology makes the music way better than it might otherwise be for some people (e.g. Metalmilita2000). I have the same experience with other subject matters. Lyrics are huge to me and if I like something in spite of the lyrics, then it's unlikely to rank as one of my favorite albums. This is why cryptic lyrics work so well, every listener can bend them to serve their own purposes in their life.

I love Alex Jones website www.infowars.com it's the only place to get the real news, that and Coast to Coast A.M with George Noory

I have no comment on infowars (not very familiar with it), but I've been listening to Coast to Coast AM for 15+ years and I have to point out, this is like saying "The only sport I watch is wrestling because it's the only place to get actual athletic competition."

I don't agree with much of the political position (even though I consider myself a Libertarian. I think maybe I'm just a lot more moderate than most.) and I think Alex Jones is a pretentious nutjob.

But I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far of this! It's a little bit sloppy, But there's a brutally honest, anthemic quality going on (we the People) that vaguely reminds me of Manowar.