Interesting review of ProgPower USA on metalcrypt.com

Sure it was a guy? Because those nails are awfully pretty for a metal boi. ;)

That said, I'm sorry, but the fact this person left before SA and was already home by day 2 says his/her opinion isn't worth shit, which is all they were talking about. No specifics (saying bad sound doesn't count, what's bad about it?), means little worth. If I were grading this as a persuasion paper, s/he would have failed it.

To me, this reads as though the writer had an agenda. In other words, he came looking for a shitty time, and he left having experienced it. Then he published this "review." Or maybe he was a bootlegger who was thwarted by Glenn's no-digital-camera policy and tighter security and discovered that he couldn't make an illegal buck later on.

Whatever his issues (and it does sound like he has some personal stake in this matter...like he was -- or believes he was --- personally wronged somehow), anyone who's been to a PPUSA knows how well-run and enjoyable it is. Those who haven't will likely, after reading this, ask around or do some research to see if others echo his sentiments. Finding no one, they'll write it off. Or maybe they'll even buy a ticket to see for themselves. :)

Bottom line: If this ass clown intended to damage Glenn or his festival with this review, it'll backfire on him.

The guy bought a ticket so he has the right to complain about actual festival issues. I take those seriously and work towards improving them the next year. For various reasons, things don't always go as planned. I adapt the best I can on the fly. That was the case more times this year than in the past few years combined. However, the guy loses all credibility when he makes his personal attacks and states claims that simply aren't true. He seem to have a personal axe to grind with me for whatever reason and that's ok. The day he becomes relevant within the industry is the day I will stop and take him seriously.

For the record (for those newbies that are unaware):

1. Sound problems will never go away. This is a festival setting and we adapt to every band on the fly without true soundchecks. Some bands use their own engineer so that explains the difference in quite a few bands. I fly in the engineer that works for Helloween, Edguy, and every other major band in Europe. He does a tremendous job for the challenges he faces. I will say one thing though. You can't polish a turd no matter how much wax you have.

2. I do not sell the ProgPower USA dvds. I do not make a single dime off of them. What I get is the hard copy of the entire show from a single camera. That's it. The venue does everything else. They make money off them because they give me a good deal in other areas in exchange. While I can indeed control the ads, I did not see anything wrong with it between the sets. I was not even aware it was on for Virgin Steele. I can tell you that they just flipped the switch from the normal live camera to that because VS would not allow themselves to be recorded.

3. I make no secret that this is a business for me. This is a very difficult job and very risky. I paid the price in the beginning by being in debt for a few years and now I reap the rewards for my hard work throughout the year. I feel no shame in that.

4. My advice to the guy is simple. There are plenty of other festivals in the States that you can attend and support. If you cannot find one that fits your needs, then show some guts and do it yourself.

I'm not losing any sleep over this.

... No specifics (saying bad sound doesn't count, what's bad about it?), means little worth ...

To his credit, his second paragaph said a little bit more than "it was bad sound."

Anyway, if he had listened to Firewind and Primal Fear, he would be singing a different tune. The sound was pretty damned excellent from my position :)

Why even create such a hellspawn mixture if you never have any problems selling tickets?

That reminds me. I've always wondered why Glenn chose Prog and Power metal as the two genres he would base his festival around. Why not Deathpower? Or Proggoth? Or just Prog? Or just Power? I'm not complaining, since Prog and Power metal just happen to be my favorite genres, but I'm wondering why those two fairly distinct genres and not say, two other genres or one genre or three genres(Deathpowergoth?)

And as a followup, after building the Progpower name with the best in prog and power metal, why are you expanding it to include more and more bands outside those genres?

If I come up with a professional and polite way to reply, I'll edit this comment. Until then, I'll sit here utterly speechless.

How is Into Eternity "mainstream" and Redemption is a "fringe metal" band yet they BOTH joined Dream Theater on a national tour this summer.... and the "mainstream" band opened for the "fringe metal" act?? I'm confused. :Smug:

The guy seems to really like Virgin Steele...and I think him being disappointed with their performance, combined with the sound issues and his ignorance of the taping issue completely ruined the show for him.

I've seen Virgin Steele before and they sounded awful then too...and I don't really know anyone who's seen them and liked them...so...

Edit: And Glenn...I'm going to quote Donald Trump here and say "Always get even. When somebody hits you, you hit them back fifteen times harder."

That reminds me. I've always wondered why Glenn chose Prog and Power metal as the two genres he would base his festival around. Why not Deathpower? Or Proggoth? Or just Prog? Or just Power? I'm not complaining, since Prog and Power metal just happen to be my favorite genres, but I'm wondering why those two fairly distinct genres and not say, two other genres or one genre or three genres(Deathpowergoth?)

Call me silly, call me crazy, but I think it might, just might, mind you, be because Glenn likes those two genres most of all? :lol:

(Well, aside from Jimmy Buffett)

And as a followup, after building the Progpower name with the best in prog and power metal, why are you expanding it to include more and more bands outside those genres?

Glenn addressed this in another recent post, saying something like "ProgPower is in the unique position of being able to gain exposure to well-deserving bands...."

More simply put, Glenn books bands for his festival that he knows are good, talented bands. Some of them -- I'm guessing you're referring to Volbeat and Riverside -- might fall a bit outside the norm for 'prog-metal' or 'power-metal.' They will not fall outside the norm of being talented bands who will kick butt, though; I expect them to land squarely in that target.

Indifference, or a lack of response, is often considered very frustrating
and irritating to critics that are baiting a hook only to reel it in empty. :cool: :lol:

I'm not saying that Glenn should write a retort or debate the points or anything...but I would argue that letting anyone take shots at you just makes you look like a shmuck...and one person can gain momentum with the bandwagon effect.

Just whenever the opportunity presents itself, make sure to kick this guy in the teeth. Figuratively of course.

from the pic in the editorial, it certainly appears that it's a girl, giving the finger.

You make so much more of an impact, when you don't respond to these things - Glenn is doing the right thing! The rest of us can call the asshole an asshole on Glenn's behalf, and hope that this loser's buttcrack will itch for the rest of his life, while his arms grow 2 inches too short to scratch it.....

Later,

L

Wow, I hate to be a dick but I've learned a bit more about our reviewer. Lord Requiem / Anthony Brock (abrock@angelfire.com) has a habit of writing reviews that are misinformed and that people hate. I'm reading some not nice things about him on the Metal Coven webzine after he gave Textures - "Polar" a 0 out of 5 and called it a nu-metal album. The review has since been removed from Metal Crypt.

A little bio of the author written in 2003/2004. Maybe it'll help us understand where he's coming from.

"I'm a 23 year old college student, writer, and musician. I've lived pretty much everywhere in the world; you name it and I've either lived there or spent time on holiday or visiting for various other reasons, some of the more interesting locations include Hong Kong, Zaire (Now called the Democratic Republic of Congo), Belgium, Puerto Rico, and of course the good old UK. I only had a passing interest in metal for many years, mainly early Queensrÿche and other 80s metal, with a little bit of euro power metal (Helloween and company), but I didn't know much about the underground scene until the last couple years when I started getting heavily into Euro power/prog like Lost Horizon, Sonata Arctica, Thy Majestie, and Crimson Glory. I still have a love for my brit rock roots, some of my favourite bands today continue to be Oasis, U2, Manic Street Preachers, and Embrace, but now I have finally found the music that scratches the itch that brit rock never scratched, and its good to be into metal.

I'm enjoying the community of underground metal a great deal, as most people who listen to our style of music are generally very knowledgeable people who came to listen to underground metal styles such as symphonic, power, doom, and black as a result of years of searching through various styles before finally finding the perfect genre.

Metal is all about being honest with yourself, making decisions for yourself without caring what people think about you. We don't care for posers and fakes, and generally we are respective of other people's opinions and ideas. (though, like any community, there are idiots who just spew idiocy and hate because they have nothing better to do.)

I'm glad to be a part of that community. Long live Metal!

Favourite metal bands: Lost Horizon, While Heaven Wept, Dark Moor, Iron Maiden."

Indifference, or a lack of response, is often considered very frustrating
and irritating to critics that are baiting a hook only to reel it in empty. :cool: :lol:

well said Tammy. I had something like this happen within the last week due to a post of mine on these very forums. Someone was banned, so he came after me through MySpace instead - knowing how to reach me through there since he couldn't touch any of us here any longer. I never gave him the luxury of a response. I just let him wallow in his own misery, hate, and self-induced delusions of grandeur, then I blocked him on MySpace as well. :cool:

but back to the matter at hand - whoever the person is who wrote this scathing dissertation (I wouldn't call it a 'review') apparently also has some 'hate' issues. And he/she said it best at the end of their own bio:

though, like any community, there are idiots who just spew idiocy and hate because they have nothing better to do.

:guh: really now? you don't say? :Smug:

*shakes head ruefully*

This year? Volbeat, but I guess you can call that the oddball, a concept which Glenn explained years ago. Epica and After Forever are goth. JOP doesn't seem to me to be either prog or power, although I get why Glenn would have Jon Oliva at his festival. We're seeing more and more bands that use death vocals, most of which are also neither prog nor power, although they skate close to prog at times: Orphaned Land, Raintime, Epica, Mercenary, Into Eternity. Some were oddballs, but some were not, and the amount of death vocals increases with each festival. Nevermore is thrashy doom metal. Jorn is classic rock for the most part, although he does have a presence in some power metal and prog projects. His set though, mainly consisted of his solo, classic rock-style stuff though.

I guess the response could be that most of the bands I've mentioned are actually prog, since you can categorize almost anything as prog if you want to enough. But that raises the question of why we're seeing an increase in prog at the expense of power. This year's lineup only includes one straight ahead power band so far, the lowest number ever. ALl of the other bands are prog, power/prog, and Elvenking, our first folk power metal band(which is wonderful, I was wondering when we'd get one of those).

Call me silly, call me crazy, but I think it might, just might, mind you, be because Glenn likes those two genres most of all?

You mean he didn't do it because I like those two genres most of all?:)

Although if I put together a festival it would include AOR bands as well. But new ones, not 80s bands.

More simply put, Glenn books bands for his festival that he knows are good, talented bands. Some of them -- I'm guessing you're referring to Volbeat and Riverside -- might fall a bit outside the norm for 'prog-metal' or 'power-metal.' They will not fall outside the norm of being talented bands who will kick butt, though; I expect them to land squarely in that target.

Well, I can only speak as a fan that this is miss more often than hit for me. And it actually keeps me away from the festival when Prog and Power bands are getting 45-60 minutes and the bands who have one foot in other genres are getting 75-90. Last year was cool with Sonata, Primal Fear, and Pagan's Mind making up 3 of the top 4, and although I complained about After Forever when they were announced, they were awesome at the performance. But VII, in that case we had 3 of four bands not really prog or power, and judging from the DVD, nothing in the headliners' performance would have won me over.

I admire and have the utmost respect for Glenn, and he just proved it again, that he is the class act of the metal festival promoters. He said it perfect "Until he is/she is someone to reckon with in the business I am not going to loss any sleep over it". All the concerns brought out by this person have already been addressed multiple times by not only Glenn but some of the crew members that fought the battle in the trenches. And many times have the issue of the DVD been explained. So basically this person had a personnel vendetta against either Glenn or the festival itself. As one who has done a festival and suffered through the problems and all, yes you want good reviews, but you don't loos sleep when someone says they didn't enjoy it, until they do it and put their butt in the crosshairs, then you listen to what they say, but you don't loss sleep over it, and you try harder.

Okay, this person is bitching about rank commercialization (Glenn has often pointed out this is a business he needs to make money at to sustain it, and anyone who doesn't understand that is just ignorant)... and then they have a banner ad at the bottom of the review? lo-fucking-l

I think we sometimes have a very insulated little community here, so I could understand how ProgPower might get a bad review that leaves us all going "whu??" while still being valid, but this "review" holds no water. There is little about it that has any validity at all; it's simply an emotional rant. It's like going to see the first hour of a 2-hour film, then complaining about the theater and the other movie-goers, and ripping the movie producer for all of it.

Shaye

Sound quality has been pretty bad at most festivals I've been to, ProgPower included. It is just something I have come to expect from festivals. My saving grace is that I only paid $70 for two tickets for both nights through the miracle that which is ebay.