It's that time again: predict the actual lineup

I only have a few :)

Brainstorm
Tad Morose
Morgana Lefay
Vintersorg or Borknagar ... I think either of these would make a great Oddball band ... they are both Progressive in their own right and have Wonderful Clean vocals along with the growls :)

urinalcakemix said:
Yea, I think there should be a way to have the signings before and after the show, not DURING the show, not only does that hurt the band but the fans as well (Do I want to meet my favorite band, or check out another band?), and for the band having to compete with another band for heads in the crowd versus autographs really puts a burden on everyone. Hell, open the doors an extra hour early for signings or something, Im sure something could be done to help this conflict in the future, if anyone actually sees it as a true "conflict"

We'd all love to get autographs, meet bands, get beer/booze, take a piss, shop for merchandise, and STILL catch every band. But it's just not ever gonna happen. And I'm not sure if its a competition for heads in the crowd as much as it's simply impossible to be everywhere at once, and you've got to make certain sacrifices. I guess this is just something I've come to accept with the territory at PP, and it doesnt bother me at all.

Harvester said:
The heavyweights were so starved for a decent American show that I was able to pull off something truly special for PP 3. Those days are over as the touring opportunities are wide open in the States to a certain extent if you don't mind scaling down. Think about all the bands that have had the doors opened for them since PP 3.

As for the future, there will indeed be years with smaller, unknowns in the opening slots. CM was the exception as that was strictly my choice because I loved the disc so much. However, a festival needs *name* bands in order to put asses in the seats. So far, so good..however it will get more difficult in the future and all good things do come to an end. I just hope that end doesn't come for a while.

Glenn H.

I view this as a double-edged sword. On one hand, you bring in bands for PP that you hope will be well received. However, a band gains momentum from a show like PP and maybe another album later they are "too big" to play PP again for free, or for the money offered. Also, if many of the previous headliners continue to achieve financial/commercial success, which I would certainly wish for all great metal bands, this poses a problem too. The bigger they get, the harder it is to bring them back for similar costs. End result is a shrinking pool of "legitimate" headliners if other bands fail to mature into this role.

That being said, if Glenn can routinely produce bands like Circus Maximus out of nowhere, then this won't be a problem until further down the road...

urinalcakemix said:
Do I want to meet my favorite band, or check out another band?
This is what I don't get about the signings. I too would like to meet some of my favorite musicians. But I don't want to meet them while standing in a line to meet them. That dynamic just doesn't appeal to me. There isn't a single person I'd stand it a line to meet. Mind you, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I just don't see the appeal.

Zod

I actually look forward to seeing what Glenn throws at us. He has never disapointed and always has some pretty cool surprises. I do have a feeling Evergey will be back however :devil: and would love to have a couple bands like Machine Men and maybe a Pantommind or Tears of Anger play, but again after reading Glenn's thoughts who knows whats going to happen?

Bear

Let's see how I do today...
I'm going to leave holes for someone else to fill in...

Pre-party:
Overlorde
Suspyre
________

Special Guest:

Day 1:

Pyramaze
Brainstorm

Day 2:

Theocracy
Threshold
Within Temptation

Add to it! :headbang:

One band that absolutely seems to get no play on these boards is Nocturnal Rites. I think as far as Power Metal goes they are quite solid, and definately deserve a Prog Power invite in the near future. I think they are a #3 quality band. I don't consider myself a big fan of theirs, but I think they are quality, and for some reason seem to come in under the radar.

Britt

DarkTide said:
One band that absolutely seems to get no play on these boards is Nocturnal Rites. I think as far as Power Metal goes they are quite solid, and definately deserve a Prog Power invite in the near future. I think they are a #3 quality band. I don't consider myself a big fan of theirs, but I think they are quality, and for some reason seem to come in under the radar.

Britt

Hmmm.... I have "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and "The Sacred Talisman" and always considered them to be quite generic. Not horrible, but nothing that would want make me want to listen to them over (insert power metal band X). Perhaps a revisit is in order.

DarkTide said:

Britt

What about putting them in the #3 slot on Day One of my list right above?
So now the roster is...

Pre-party:
Overlorde
Suspyre
________

Special Guest:

Day 1:

Pyramaze
Brainstorm
Nocturnal Rites *added by DarkTide*
Morgana Lefay

Day 2:

Theocracy
Threshold
Within Temptation

Dark One said:
Hmmm.... I have "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and "The Sacred Talisman" and always considered them to be quite generic. Not horrible, but nothing that would want make me want to listen to them over (insert power metal band X). Perhaps a revisit is in order.
Try their new one if you can find it .... it's called Grand Illusion. I think it's pretty good. It isn't like NR is very inventive or anything, it's just that they are what they are ... a solid power metal band, with a decent back catalog. I'm just suprised at how rarely they get mentioned. It seems to me that they should have been to Prog Power by now. I don't find them any more generic than the typical power metal band. I think the vast majority of power metal bands are at lest partially generic.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Try their new one if you can find it .... it's called Grand Illusion. I think it's pretty good.

Will do. Thanks.

DarkTide said:
I don't find them any more generic than the typical power metal band. I think the vast majority of power metal bands are at lest partially generic.

And I guess that's my problem with the genre as a whole. It's a difficult task for me to find any true standouts.

The last power metal album that really had something going for it in my eyes was "Avantasia". So you can see it's been awhile since I've been excited about the genre.

sh0kr0k said:
So now the roster is...

Pre-party:
Overlorde
Suspyre
________

Special Guest:

Day 1:

Pyramaze
Brainstorm
Morgana Lefay

Day 2:

Theocracy
Threshold
Within Temptation
I'd move either Brainstorm, Nocturnal Rites, or Morgana Lefay to day two. Day one is looking a little power metal heavy with the addition of NR. I see Morgana and Brainstorm being a bit more popular than NR, so they should play higher on the bill than NR. NR seems like a solid #3 band to me, while Brainstorm and Morgana would fit also as a #3 or as a co-headiner.

Britt

Dark One said:
Will do. Thanks.

And I guess that's my problem with the genre as a whole. It's a difficult task for me to find any true standouts.

The last power metal album that really had something going for it in my eyes was "Avantasia". So you can see it's been awhile since I've been excited about the genre.

I agree man, but this is Prog Power, and over 50 bands have played the fest to date. Nocturnal Rites, or perhaps a band like Mob Rules seem to fit into this festival real well, but have yet to perform. I would expect them to be on the list of potential new bands to be added to the fest.

Britt

sh0kr0k said:
So now the roster is...

Pre-party:
Overlorde
Suspyre
________

Special Guest:

Day 1:

Pyramaze
Brainstorm
Morgana Lefay

Day 2:

Theocracy
Threshold
Within Temptation

As for the "oddball", I'd sure love to see Freak Kitchen. I think they would rule at a fest like Prog Power. I guess a #2 spot on day one or two would be pretty good considering the strength of your proposed lineup. They also could fit into a #3 I'd think given the right mix of bands.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I agree man, but this is Prog Power, and over 50 bands have played the fest to date. Nocturnal Rites, or perhaps a band like Mob Rules seem to fit into this festival real well, but have yet to perform. I would expect them to be on the list of potential new bands to be added to the fest.

Britt

Oh yeah totally - assuming Glenn digs 'em on some level, Nocturnal Rites or Mob Rules would absolutely be worthy power metal additions to the fest (I'm thinking as a #2, #3 might be a stretch) based on the type of fans that typically attend. They don't necessarily appeal to me on a studio level, but if they bring a lot of energy to the table, I could see them going over quite well at PP.

As far as power metal I'd like to see is concerned - I'd prefer the bands in the genre that have a darker or rougher edge to them like Iron Savior, Grave Digger, Excelsis (are they still around?), Savage Circus, older Blind Guardian (think Tales from the Twilight World), etc.

Dark One said:
Oh yeah totally - assuming Glenn digs 'em on some level, Nocturnal Rites or Mob Rules would absolutely be worthy power metal additions to the fest (I'm thinking as a #2, #3 might be a stretch) based on the type of fans that typically attend. They don't necessarily appeal to me on a studio level, but if they bring a lot of energy to the table, I could see them going over quite well at PP.

As far as power metal I'd like to see is concerned - I'd prefer the bands in the genre that have a darker or rougher edge to them like Iron Savior, Grave Digger, Excelsis (are they still around?), Savage Circus, older Blind Guardian (think Tales from the Twilight World), etc.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to hard edged power metal bands either. Savage Circus, or Persuader would be a big hit at Prog Power. Both have that old BG thing going on. I used to like Iron Savior several years back, but kind of grew past them a bit. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to them either.

One think I do know .... it's getting hard to think of bands that I would really go insane over seeing live. A couple of my biggies that haven't performed Prog Power, and maybe never will are, Ayreon/Star One, and Shadow Gallery.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Persuader

Good call - I'd like that as well.

DarkTide said:
I used to like Iron Savior several years back, but kind of grew past them a bit. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to them either.

I'm basing my opinion solely on the first two albums (s/t and Unification). Unification rules - but I shyed away from Dark Assault/Condition Red and onward based on both bad reviews and my evolving tastes.