Jeff Scott Soto Confirmed for ProgPower USA XVI

At MelodicrockFest, JSS hung out all weekend....signed all autographs, and put on one hell of a show. Sang during Eric Martin's acoustic set....just a class act all around. I can't wait to see what he can do at Center Stage.....I'm thinking we are all in for a treat.

Forget the rabbits... this is pulling an Absolute Miracle out of the hat,... Jeff Scott Soto as a replacement for Morgana Lefay is miraculous Glenn... you've managed to replace a quality act with what for me is an OUTRIGHT MONSTER!!!... well done Glenn... best Festival Replacement ever.

I listened to a W.E.T. song at work this morning. I really don't think this is my kinda stuff. I'll likely not partake in JSS's set. I'm okay with that. Plenty of kickass stuff at the fest already.

I listened to a W.E.T. song at work this morning. I really don't think this is my kinda stuff. I'll likely not partake in JSS's set. I'm okay with that. Plenty of kickass stuff at the fest already.
so based on a SINGLE song??? SMH....

I recognize the name because I pay attention to Blabbermouth and this forum, but I am honestly not too familiar with his body of work. I remain a bit ambivalent, in the same way I was when Jorn was announced. I know that lots of people dig him. But I don't know if I have time to gain an appreciation for his work to be super engaged in his set.

I do know who he is, so I'm happy for the people who are excited. I'd pay full price for a ticket for Falconer and Anathema, so the rest is a bonus. I'll watch from the back until I decide if I'm digging it. Otherwise, I'll hang in the lobby like I did for Pain of Salvation.
Own any old Yngwie albums?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Force
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_Out

I mean I looked at a setlist from a recent show. It was a lot of "W.E.T." and "XYZ" stuff, with some stuff by Talisman and then a couple of covers of other bands (Rolling Stones and Prince among them). All I could find were shitty cell phone recordings via Youtube on the setlist.fm links. The only song that was an actual studio recording was one of the W.E.T. songs. And it was a 80s-style power ballad, which is my least favorite type of "metal" song. He sounds like a good singer, but so is David Coverdale and I don't really like Whitesnake, so I don't know if I'll look further into this guy. And I have heard some old Yngwie stuff, but it's kind of Yngwie's guitar playing that I dig, and not really caring much about who is singing the songs.

I think honestly my viewpoint on this man's music is informed by the fact that I didn't grow up listening to anything he's done. He's clearly a talented and productive musician who's kept busy over the years, but I don't own any of his stuff, nor do I think I have the time to properly appreciate his body of work. Therefore, I'll likely be bored by his set because I'm just not familiar enough with the material. It's not a complaint; like I said, there's enough kick ass stuff at ProgPower that I'm as excited about this year as I've been about any year. I'm sure there will be some sets I'm pumping my fist at that some of you will amble off and get dinner.

how in the hell is that possible?? the man has been on albums like Yngwie Malmsteen since 1984...

I'm a casual listener of a very specific type of probably obscure metal, and I don't tend to bother with bands that have huge back catalogs that I'm not already familiar with. I'm not what you would call anyone's target audience.

The most I know about Yngwie Malmsteen is that he once played the Star Spangled Banner and is a bit of a dick.

I will recognize up and down that this is a great replacement and a big grab for ProgPower. I will also say that my opinion is largely based on the music I listen to all the time and listened to before I got into metal. If we were to, say, have David Gilmour play ProgPower I'd squeal like a greased-up pig because I was obsessed with 70s/80s Floyd as a kid and as a teenager.

That said, the reason I was overwhelmed looking at the setlist is that I really didn't recognize ANYTHING other than the Black Sabbath and Prince covers. Clearly the guy has range if he's doing Prince and Dio in the same concert. I will give him a couple songs, as I did with Pain of Salvation, and if I'm not digging it I'll find something else to do.

The new album is a but heavier and contains collaborations with guys like Jason Bieler and Gus G. Hope to hear some of it live...

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, JSS is one those guys that could sing the damn phone book and make it sound good! I honestly never thought I'd get to see him perform a career spanning solo set...I'm pumped about this myself!

~Brian~