Jon Oliva finally admits that Damond Jiniya is out of the band

Thinking about Skolnick, I remember back in the late '80's, there was some fly-by-night "metal" magazine that was basically a teeny bopper magazine with a heavy metal makeover. There was an article about how the writer thought that Testament should be huge, not because of their considerable talent, but because she thought that Alex Skolnick was cute.

Ah, the state of American metal journalism back then.

Alex Skolnick's jazz albums are godly. Check them out if you haven't already. Start with Standards for a New Generation. Jazz interpretations of rock classics. Awesome stuff.

Paul O'Neill is the problem here, plain and simple. The new Savatage record isn't recorded yet because PAUL CAN'T FIND THE FUCKING TIME. Jon has gone on record saying that on numerous occasions. Paul needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize Savatage can AND SHOULD go on without him if he can't find the time. I am so pissed off at that guy. (I tend to be a bit passionate about Savatage as they are my all time fave band).

That said, I can get by on JOP even if Savatage never does record another album. Despite what my buddy Batmura and others stated, I can hear alot of old Savatage in 'Tage Mahal. Sure, the production is totally latter-day Sava. But many of the songs are pure old-school. Hell, some songs were resurrected from the old days, tunes that never made it on the official releases.

Despite my current issues with Paul, I have no problem with latter-day Savatage. Poets and Madmen is my favorite Savatage album (I ignore the whole concept crapola Paul stuck in there at the last minute). The riffage on that disc just kills me! I loved Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan too. Savatage has never released an album lower than 4 out of 5 stars in two-and-a-half decades; that's why they are and probably always will be #1 in my hallowed halls!

Nightmare1z said:
You give Fight for the Rock 4 out of 5 stars?
Okay, they did have that one blunder! But the record company caused that. For the confines that Atlantic put them under, I think they did an admirable job! So, yeah, I'll give them 4 stars for making something that should've sucked into something that was pretty good. I still get a kick out of listening to that album from time to time.

NP: Russell Allen's Atomic Soul

SavaRon -
Just to clarify - Jeff Plate is still involved and actively playing- he is playing with Caffery on the solo stuff, as well as the TSO East thing.... You are right when you say Johnny Lee is not currently playing... (Unless he is doing TSO west this year)
He (Jeff) has one of the best work ethics and attitudes I have seen at that level. Some things are just out of band members control - this is a huge business after all.... and as much as we like to think music is just music, even metal (older metal) has to succumb to the corporate machine...

Nightmare1z said:
You give Fight for the Rock 4 out of 5 stars?

I'm probably one of the very few people that will say this, but I don't have a problem with that album. It's not typical Savatage, but I take it for what it is. An attempt to appeal to the mainstream music scene of the 80's...plain and simple.

I agree with TSO Outcast, Savatage's worst effort to me is 4 out of 5 stars!

I believe they'll be another Sava album. When? Who knows, but I believe they'll release a DVD sometime as well.

In regards to Jon's stuff, I love it. To me it sounds like a mixture of old and Zak era Savatage. There's something there for every Savafan!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering if he considered that bad album like everyone else.

I like the album, but probably view it as the weakest Savatage album in their catalogue. Some good songs on it like Fight for the Rock, Day after Day, Hyde, Lady in Disguise (I love that song), etc.

Just if you look at their catalogue, it's weird to see it between Power of the Night and Hall of the Mountain King. You could tell the label got involved... :)

Nightmare1z said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering if he considered that bad album like everyone else.

I like the album, but probably view it as the weakest Savatage album in their catalogue. Some good songs on it like Fight for the Rock, Day after Day, Hyde, Lady in Disguise (I love that song), etc.

Just if you look at their catalogue, it's weird to see it between Power of the Night and Hall of the Mountain King. You could tell the label got involved... :)

Yeah, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

So does anyone know what Damond Jiniya is up to? Is he looking for a new band to join?
He is an amazing vocalist, and I'd hate to see his talent go to waste.

Lost horizon is still looking for a vocalist... hmm.
I wonder if that would work....

On a side note, Lost Horizon needs to find another damn vocallist or they are never going to record their next album!

Robin