JORN brought the angels down @ Progpower

Aug 16, 2006
All i can say is thanks to Glenn Harvester for having the excellent taste and insight in bringing Jorn Lande all the way from Norway for a special night in Hot Atlanta. This was my 1st PP and it was truly something special to witness. I don't think i've ever met soo many cool and friendly people in one place before. HELL i even met Jorn in the parking lot of the hotel i was staying at. I went up to him, introduced myself, offered him a Amberbock and then proceeded to talk, take pictures, and drink beer with him and about 10 other fans for about an hour. He was staying at another hotel but just happened to be at ours then, how ironic.:headbang: Jorn was so down to earth and talked about his new dual-disc album he has coming out and the 2nd Allen/Lande album. He also adressed fans questions about ARK, saying there would be no more collaborations with that band or Masterplan, he wants to continue with his solo career and i agree with him. In my opinoin Jorn ruled PP 06. Did anyone else notice the apparent confusion on the final jam of "Stars"? To me it looked like that one singer grabbed the microphone out of Jorns hands when he was'nt expecting it and a couple singers seemed to miss their cues for their parts. I guess they were partying hard backstage all night,lol. it sounded KILLER though and i hope it's on the PP dvd. Was my 1st PP worth the money and drving almost 10 hours one way? HELL YEAH :headbang:

Glenn Harverster is THEE MAN! :kickass:

P.S EPICA completely blew me away!!!!

No.. two of the four mics set up weren't working ~ I was right up front and all the guys were as confused as you were... That's why they were bunchin' up at the mics...

Still kicked ass tho!!:kickass:

Jorn was the best indeed (thanks to Nevermore for bailing out). Savage Circus and Leatherwolf also made my days.

And special kudos to Freak Kitchen for being the best show on stage, those guys are masters of audience management, the fresehst thing at the festival for sure.

Thanks to Glenn indeed.

JenniferLynn said:
No.. two of the four mics set up weren't working ~ I was right up front and all the guys were as confused as you were... That's why they were bunchin' up at the mics...

Still kicked ass tho!!:kickass:

We thought maybe that was the reason, it kicked ass none the less. :headbang: I was about 3 rows back from the stage.

livingwithwolves said:
Great picture Ice Queen, i;ll post mine in about 4-5 days. By the way i think i may have seen you on the floor rocking out?:headbang:

Thanks!!

Oh Yeah, you probably did. I was up front, on the right of the stage
:headbang:

I was at the airport today and guess what band happened to be behind me in the longass security line? Jorn's band of course. I got to talk to all of them, Tore especially, because Jorn had a little trouble with security. They're such badass people.

I was especially shocked because I expected these guys to be totally worn out and sick of people. I told Tore he played a great show and he just kept on talkin! Instigated conversation with the fans is so rare these days. Those are super badass guys.

Btw, did anybody else notice the sign in Terminal D? The one with the African girl and the inspiring message. "Women, the world's largest untapped resource." Please tell me someone else sees more to this message than the ad wanted men to think. :rolleyes:

I hate to be the dissenting opinion here, but I personally thought he was lame, and not a fitting tribute to the three days of fantastic music.

For one, there was nothing power or progressive about it. We were sitting there actually joking that it sounded like Whitesnake, only lamer. THEN HE DID A WHITESNAKE MEDLEY! We were laughing our asses off about it. Except, the local Van Hagar cover band actually does Whitesnake better than Jorn does.

Don't get me wrong. I think he has a fantastic voice, and I freaking LOVE Masterplan. I just think his solo stuff, which I had not heard before last night, is lame in comparison. Yes, I know he performed Soul Burn, which was okay.

So there. I said it. Not the greatest introduction to the board, but I needed to get that out there. I probably would have not said anything except for the fact that I was completely blown away by most of the other bands at this, my first PPUSA show. I was just really let down at the end. If Epica, who put on an unbelievable show had finished the night, it would have been perfect.

A big thanks to all who put it on. We had a fantastic time, and it was well worth the trip from California to be there.

guardian26 said:
JORN was unbelieveable...I was in awe. Great work and thanks Glenn!! Thanks to Nevermore for making this possible!! Tungur Knivur!
Ditto on Nevermore & Frode and Glenn. Ah, Jorn. AMAZING.

pm4ever said:
I hate to be the disenting opinion here, but I personally thought he was lame, and not a fitting tribute to the three days of fantastic music.

For one, there was nothing power or progressive about it. We were sitting there actually joking that it sounded like Whitesnake, only lamer. THEN HE DID A WHITESNAKE MEDLEY! We were laughing our asses off about it. Except, the local Van Hagar cover band actually does Whitesnake better than Jorn does.

Don't get me wrong. I think he has a fantastic voice, and I freaking LOVE Masterplan. I just think his solo stuff, which I had not heard before last night, is lame in comparison. Yes, I know he performed Soul Burn, which was okay.

So there. I said it. Not the greatest introduction to the board, but I needed to get that out there. I probably would have not said anything except for the fact that I was completely blown away by most of the other bands at this, my first PPUSA show. I was just really let down at the end. If Epica, who put on an unbelievable show had finished the night, it would have been perfect.

A big thanks to all who put it on. We had a fantastic time, and it was well worth the trip from California to be there.

While you're entitled to your opinion, maybe you should do a little digging into Jorn's lengthy career and figure out what the connections to the setlist are before you run your mouth.

I wasn't elated with the set list, but I don't know that I'd flat out call it lame either. Cut the drum and guitar solos, throw in "Sunset Station," and a few full-blown Ark tunes ("Burn the Sun," anyone?) and I'd have been thrilled. Bottom line, Jorn souns great live, and despite not hearing everything I'd hoped to (when does that ever happen for anyone?), I'm glad to have had the chance to see him again.

pm4ever said:
I hate to be the dissenting opinion here, but I personally thought he was lame, and not a fitting tribute to the three days of fantastic music.

Haha... that's just fucked up. You are obviously either;

a) a newbie
b) clueless or,
d) a clueless newbie.

You should have your right to opinions revoked for having one that is so decidedly wrong. Whitesnake lame? No offense, but you have a lot to learn about music, bro.

Never said Whitesnake was lame. I've seen them. What I said was Jorn doing Whitesnake was lame, and that it wasn't what I personally (or the people I was with) would want to see at a ProgPower metal show. I can see that once a week at a local 80s metal tribute if I want to. I did see a lot of people enjoying it though, so hey, glad they had a good time.

This was not a bust on Jorn as a singer. As I mentioned, I love Masterplan, some Ark. Great voice. I think I understand his career pretty well. I also wasn't busting on the finale either. Actually have the Hearing Aid album sitting here in my collection. I actually enjoyed it, even though the problems.

What's fucked up is you can't allow someone their opinion.

^^
Go back and re-read what you wrote in your first post, and then try telling me you weren't shitting on anyone or anything. Please.

You know that whole bit about it not being what you say, but how you say it? Yeah...

pm4ever hit the nail on the head. Jorn is an amazing vocalist, but that set just wasn't what I wanted to hear at a ProgPower performance. Whitesnake is in no way, shape, or form lame - my friends and I have gotten absolutely blitzed by rocking out to the Whitesnake DVD while throwing back beers :kickass:. However, I just don't want to hear Whitesnake at ProgPower.

Actually, now that I think about it, let's say that Hansi Kursch did ProgPower this year, but just as a solo performance - no Blind Guardian. Hansi die-hards would be thrilled to come to hear Hansi just open his mouth. However, let's say he just performs cover tunes from his BG albums and other things of that nature, e.g. "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Barbara Ann", that Queen cover from Somewhere Far Beyond that I just can't name at the moment, "Immigrant Song" from D&W, etc. Those die-hards (myself included ... I am a die-hard) would probably enjoy it. But is that something that fits in a ProgPower set? No. So cut pm4ever some slack, please

It seems this is a tread by fanboys for fanboys. pm4ever is entitled to his opinion... even if you don't like it. I don't know about the angels, but Jorn brought me down at ProgPower. He played everything I'd care to hear from him in the first 15 mins. Well executed yes, but boooooring.

Spread Your Wings is the Queen cover :p

RiffDaemon said:
pm4ever hit the nail on the head. Jorn is an amazing vocalist, but that set just wasn't what I wanted to hear at a ProgPower performance. Whitesnake is in no way, shape, or form lame - my friends and I have gotten absolutely blitzed by rocking out to the Whitesnake DVD while throwing back beers :kickass:. However, I just don't want to hear Whitesnake at ProgPower.

Actually, now that I think about it, let's say that Hansi Kursch did ProgPower this year, but just as a solo performance - no Blind Guardian. Hansi die-hards would be thrilled to come to hear Hansi just open his mouth. However, let's say he just performs cover tunes from his BG albums and other things of that nature, e.g. "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Barbara Ann", that Queen cover from Somewhere Far Beyond that I just can't name at the moment, "Immigrant Song" from D&W, etc. Those die-hards (myself included ... I am a die-hard) would probably enjoy it. But is that something that fits in a ProgPower set? No. So cut pm4ever some slack, please