JORN brought the angels down @ Progpower

sinerchris said:
i'd have to agree that Jorn was spot on, vocally.

As for his stage presence, I wasn't feeling it. No offense, but wearing shades through most of the set (I left right after Straight Through the Heart, for reasons that are just too complicated) did not impress me. Look me in the eye and say "we brought the angels down". It would be much more believable. But whatever, still enjoyable, he sounded damn amazing.

Yes...thanks for mentioning the shades. That was bugging the heck out of me, too, but I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Certainly something to add to the cheers/jeers thread if not already mentioned. I hate that look.

yeah i had this feeling through Jorn's set that was kind of like "this kicks ass, man this is weird"

remember this is just my opinion, but in a way it kind of made him look older with the shades on.

Haha! IceQueen took the words right of out my mouth (or keyboard)! Jorn RULED. And his band of 3/5 Pagan's Mind kicked my ass too! It was funny when Tore Moren said to the crowd "I'd like to say hi to everyone from the porch," he spent pretty much his entire weekend mingling on that damn porch, LOL! What a show. What a weekend. *Explodes* :p

Jorn was great, but too much time was spent on solos that we could have gotten a couple more songs from Jorn which I would have preferred. I hate solos no matter how good or great they are.

Well, I think the solo spots are used to give the vocalist a small break, so I have no problem with them.

As for Jorn's set, I thought it was great and I'm not an old guy! :p I love the classic rock stuff and Jorn has that classic rock sound, so there's no better fit to cover tunes from Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, and Dio. I thought I was going to have a fit when he covered my all time favorite Dio song, "Straight Through the Heart". I could've left happy then! :headbang:

So, those of you that didn't like the cover songs....quit your bitchin'! :kickass:

I thought the cover songs were GREAT!!!!!!!!! I loved the DIO one and Whitesnake medley the most.

Jorn fucking ruled PERIOD.

I too could have done w/o the solos though.

As for sunglasses? Who gives a fuck! He could wear a freakin dildo on his head for all I care. His pipes is what Im there for!

And how about my Bros in Pagans Mind eh? Do they kick fuckin ass or what? Its about time they come back to PPUSA with PM!!!! I would go nuts!!!!!

DrumRman said:
Jorn fucking ruled PERIOD.

I too could have done w/o the solos though.

As for sunglasses? Who gives a fuck! He could wear a freakin dildo on his head for all I care. His pipes is what Im there for!

And how about my Bros in Pagans Mind eh? Do they kick fuckin ass or what? Its about time they come back to PPUSA with PM!!!! I would go nuts!!!!!

There we go! Also, the match-up of Tore and Jorn Viggo on guitar is flat out LETHAL! Great similar yet contrasting styles of playing. Also, I think Jorn Viggo has secured a spot up there with George Lynch in my fav guitarists list. What a monster!

I do'nt know which guitarist was which. The guy on the left side of the stage facing the audience was technically good, but too fast too noodle. Even on the more classic hard rock songs, he just wanted to noodle. Don't know if he's comfortable playing at all speeds. His guitar solo did nothing for me. It had no.. structure. But a lot of what he did was great, and I enjoyed his playing.

The guitarist on the other side of stage was different. He could play with soul, and did so on his guitar solo, which I enjoyed. Overall I enjoyed his playing the most. I'm guessing it was Jorn Viggo? The drum solos were fine. I don't know if they were needed. But maybe it gives some of them some time to rest during a long set. Instead of a marriage proposoal or a 'set change' we got a drum solo. <shrug>

Overall, I really enjoyed his set. It was a kind of music that I really love. It bridges the gap between what we now call 'classic rock' and modern prog/power metal.

Cheiron said:
I do'nt know which guitarist was which. The guy on the left side of the stage facing the audience was technically good, but too fast too noodle. Even on the more classic hard rock songs, he just wanted to noodle. Don't know if he's comfortable playing at all speeds. His guitar solo did nothing for me. It had no.. structure. But a lot of what he did was great, and I enjoyed his playing.

The guitarist on the other side of stage was different. He could play with soul, and did so on his guitar solo, which I enjoyed. Overall I enjoyed his playing the most. I'm guessing it was Jorn Viggo? The drum solos were fine. I don't know if they were needed. But maybe it gives some of them some time to rest during a long set. Instead of a marriage proposoal or a 'set change' we got a drum solo. <shrug>

You got it. That was Jorn Viggo on the right side. His playing like you stated is very soulful. On Sunday we talked about this briefly during lunch together. Viggo isnt just another shred freak who plays arpeggios all day with fast licks and scales (which I love that too).

Instead........ Jorn rather play with so much emotion and soul in his solos (just look at his facial expressions...so much feeling there). He makes the guitar sing, and soar IMO. Such class in his playing, and it shows you dont need shred to show how good you are. Funny thing is, Viggo can shred!!! He is just such an amazing guy both onstage and off. Im so honored to get to spend so much time with him over PPUSA weekend.

Thankfully I'll get to see him in Norway next year!!! :headbang:

Yes

Jorn Viggo is an animal on guitar. Probably my favorite single guitarist in the 4 years I have been to PP.

My apologies. I got them switched. I actually meant Tore was my favored one (one with the long hair). I really felt that some of his solos had more emotion during the set. Particularly his purely solo effort. Not to take anything away from Viggo. Sometimes he did, othertimes I thought he was just playing fast.. for the sake of fast.

I prefer Jorn Viggo to Tore Moren but seriously, they both smoked so it really does not matter

Cheiron said:
My apologies. I got them switched. I actually meant Tore was my favored one (one with the long hair). I really felt that some of his solos had more emotion during the set. Particularly his purely solo effort. Not to take anything away from Viggo. Sometimes he did, othertimes I thought he was just playing fast.. for the sake of fast.

Tore is/was the long haired maniac on the left side of the stage (facing from the audience). He is one bad motherfucker on the guitar and fun as hell to watch. I'm not a big fan of sunglasses on stage but you have to realize Jorn plays only a handfull of shows each year and i got the impression from meeting him that he is kinda shy and extremely laidback. So i don't think the sunglasses thing was to look all rock starry but kinda to ease himself into getting used to the crowd. Having alot of people direct all their attention on you is a really weird thing if your not used to it. Jorn is all about the music, not the image and that entertainment stuff. :)

OK - Yes, Jorn totally brought the angels down. Amazing, amazing show. It was incredible to see this unique set here. So THANKS to those who made it happen. Now on the guitar thing I just have to say that I love them both but I love when Viggo plays with that guitar pick in his mouth -- HAHA!
100_0958.jpg

Cheiron said:

Gotta agree with ya on this. I had been waiting for this thread to get to the point of talking about the band. Jorn is a hell of an artist but without a killer lineup to make you sound good live you might as well just stay in the studio. It's like he knew this when he recorded because the guys he has chosen to play his music take it all to another level. I thought they all were just so damn tight and they kicked my ass. On that note, as much as I love Viggo and the stuff he has done with PM, Tore was the one who really rocked me out. I thought his style of playing (at least in a live setting) matched up with Jorn's music just perfectly.

Jorn is thee voice of rock and Tore is thee hands of rock. And Jorn Viggo co-writes all the songs with jorn so he is the Brains of rock,lol.

I wouldn't call either Jorn a lyrical master! But musically, I love the songs.

Either way we all got to hear about the riding a unicorn with a rainbow shaker. So I was happy.