Just curious about the next generation of "euro" power metal bands

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Personally speaking, and based on recent releases, I think the "usual suspects" have left their best days behind them now:

Gamma Ray
Edguy
Stratovarius
Helloween

etc.

Let's face it, it's not as if their latest material is their best work to date, but that's ok -- it happens to the best of bands.

Blind Guardian may be the exception to the rule (not having heard the new album though obviously), as are Angra (most likely).

So out of curiosity, which bands do you think are going to deliver the next "Land of the Free", "Imaginations from the Other Side", or "Theater of Salvation"?

Who are tomorrow's headliners? :kickass:

Evil said:
but totally off the mark with Edguy

Agree 100%.

Brainstorm is the obvious choice of the next generation as they have already done a small headline tour. There is another one that I have booked for next year that is an obvious choice as well.

Glenn H.

Yeah I think you're off with Edguy as well. Their last album and new one are their best imo. And I also think you're wrong on Gamma Ray, the new cd is excellent. As for the future? Glenn's right with Brainstorm, Manticora is another good choice, Nocturnal Rites should be up there as well. Their last 3 discs are WAY under-represented in the Power Metal world IMO. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but i'm still waiting for something to really shine from anyone else.

Dream Evil or Manticora.

Possibly an Andy Franck creation.

Most likely, it won't be Symphony X, even though I think they could create a helluva metal anthem if they wanted to, but they're just not in the same vein as good ol' fashioned power metal. It would be awesome, though....

But I really think Dream Evil, because their riffs are so accessible and catchy yet genuinely good, their choruses are always singalongs that you can't help but shout along to when you're breaking the speed limit, and they have the attitude that's balls-to-the-wall METAL. Yeah, they're almost the embodiment of all the cheesy metal stereotypes. But that's why it's so good! They're the best parts of all of metal's great moments, wrapped up in one.

I would go out on a limb, and really risk my neck, and say...... RAGE. I wouldn't be suprised if they could still create an album with as much raw aggression and energy as Unity.

Harvester said:
Agree 100%.

Brainstorm is the obvious choice of the next generation as they have already done a small headline tour. There is another one that I have booked for next year that is an obvious choice as well.

Glenn H.

Agreed as well and I'll take Masterplan for $2000, please!

well while i do agree the latest works of those bands were, well, much less than i expected, well wait and see...especially with strato. i forget which, but one of them said they were going to start new material in january because they felt the most recent was, not what they wanted. i feel the same with edguy, i think they will return with much stronger material!

and yes, angra and especially blind guardian are exception!

angra rules, of course...blind guardian is my 2nd favorite band, and while we shall see how it goes without Thomen, i still believe they have, at the very least, 2 or 3 great albums left.

also, the "new era"...i think Tad Morose and Brainstorm, 2 of my favorties, have really made a HUGE rise in their last 3 albums (please listen anyone who hasn't!) they are kick ass.

and, while they unfortunatly dont get alot of recongition, Nocturnal Rites and Falconer are also awesome. NR has yet to dissapoint me with anything, their latest work is awesome too! NR is way under-rated and under-recongized in the our metal world i do think!

Falconer has 4 albums, and while the last 2 went down i feel, it was mainly because Mathias had left...but now, he has returned!

and, then of course Dragonforce who are taking quite a rise. a very unique Power Metal sound if i do say so myself...i think they are very promising, we should be able to enjoy some great years with them!

i would say Dream Evil, they do some quite awesome stuff...but their lead guitar Gus G left early the past summer. he is a great guitarist (other bands are firewind, nightrage, mystic prophecy), but i feel he was such an important part to the band, i look forward to a next release to see how their sound differs.

now, while Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Falconer, and Nocturnal Rites may not be the more orignally "euro-power metal", they play awesome music and i think each have a greatly unique sound of power metal.

i think we can really look forward to those 4 bands...Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Nocturnal Rites, and Falconer...as well as new works from BG, angra, and edguy!

Harvester said:
Agree 100%.

Yeah, although I'm not 100% happy with the new Edguy, they still deliver ... By the way Glenn, I spoke to Dirk from Edguy today, and he told me how much they appreciated playing at PP :headbang:

Harvester said:
Brainstorm is the obvious choice of the next generation as they have already done a small headline tour.

Unfortunately the headline tour wasn't that well visited here in Europe. Too bad, cause it's a kick ass live band.

Harvester said:
There is another one that I have booked for next year that is an obvious choice as well.

Ahh - but Manticora was 2005, not next year ... you are apparently forgetting that :) :) :)

Ok, in all seriousness:

* Someone mentioned Nocturnal Rites and Rage - I (unfortunately) think their time has run out. Nocturnal Rites never got that far, and Rage have been a medium sized band for too long now.
* I believe if Lost Horizon finds a good singer, they might be a band that can make it BIG. They had some good things on the debut album, (I didn't like the second disc though), and they are a great live band.
* Savage Circus will of course appeal to all the Blind Guardian fans, so perhaps they'll be a major force within a year or so. They have some festivals lined up around Germany in the summer, so it'll be interesting to see how they do live.
* I believe it's too early to count out bands like Stratovarius and Hammerfall - they just need to make one really good disc again, and their fanbase will increase drastically. They already are up there where people pay notice whenever they release something, so it won't take much to build further on that.
* Of course I hope it'll be some of the Intromental bands (hehe) that'll make it big time - I'll do my best to push 'em :)

c.

JayKeeley said:
Personally speaking, and based on recent releases, I think the "usual suspects" have left their best days behind them now:

Gamma Ray
Edguy
Stratovarius
Helloween

etc.

Let's face it, it's not as if their latest material is their best work to date, but that's ok -- it happens to the best of bands.

Blind Guardian may be the exception to the rule (not having heard the new album though obviously), as are Angra (most likely).

So out of curiosity, which bands do you think are going to deliver the next "Land of the Free", "Imaginations from the Other Side", or "Theater of Salvation"?

Who are tomorrow's headliners? :kickass:

Without a doubt, the future of Power Metal is Brainstorm and Tad Morose! Freedom Call has potential. So does FireWind if they can keep a permanent lineup. If Feinstein is a real band and not a project, they could be huge - John West was born to sing power metal! Masterplan and Thunderstone are coming on strong. Then you have the heavy hitters like Primal Fear and HammerFall who even though I dont consider either band's their last album to be their best, both have yet to reach their full potential.

I also thought Edguy's Hellfire Club was really good. Of the 4 you mention Edguy's future is very bright. Helloween, Gamma Ray and Stratovarius may have made better albums in the past but I wouldn't count them out yet. I think the future of power metal is looking up!:hotjump:

So just to be clear, I'm not saying that the "usual suspects" aren't delivering the goods anymore, I'm saying that their previous material is BETTER, in my opinion. :)

Evil said:
but totally off the mark with Edguy

So you think Rocket Ride is their best release to date? Interesting. If "Vain Glory" or "Theater" scored a 9/10, I'd give RR a 5/10.

Otherwise....

I would have thought Masterplan as well, but you know, their second album wasn't as good as the debut.

Falconer started off on the right track, then it all went south. Same with Nocturnal Rites -- seems like their first two albums are still their strongest material?

Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Rage....yeah all quality bands, but wouldn't they have done it by now? Same applies to Sonata Arctica, they'd probably go down better as a support act IMO.

I can see Manticora down the road perhaps, once they've played more live shows.

Lost Horizon...woah!! After that debut, I thought they were going to rule the world....that album kicks my ass.

What about Dragonforce? Are they progressively getting better?

JayKeeley said:
Same with Nocturnal Rites -- seems like their first two albums are still their strongest material?

Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Rage....yeah all quality bands, but wouldn't they have done it by now? Same applies to Sonata Arctica, they'd probably go down better as a support act IMO.

I can see Manticora down the road perhaps, once they've played more live shows.

Lost Horizon...woah!! After that debut, I thought they were going to rule the world....that album kicks my ass.

What about Dragonforce? Are they progressively getting better?

Dragonforce I dont think really got any better with their album, I mean yeah it is good, but its not really a progression.

Manticora I cant see being a big headlining act.

Have you heard the new Nocturnal Rites? IMO it fucking destroys I love that album, though I havent heard a whole lot of their back catalogue this release is truly stellar.

Power Metal is one wierd genre. It seems that even if you and someone share a common opinion on 10 PM bands, it's unlikely you'll agree on the 11th. Because there's so few variations within the genre's sound, people tend to latch onto very specific components of a band; vocals, guitar tone, subject matter, etc. They either love or hate bands based on, what would seem to outsiders, the most subtle of nuances.

I felt that the crème de la crème of Power Metal was Iced Earth. However, even though the songwriting quality didn't drop when Barlow left, the band lost a lot of its personality. Brainstorm was a band that seemed to have a bright future. However, on recent discs their sound has moved in a more generic direction, which I don't care for.

Of all the bands out there, I think Tad Morose and Pyramaze (aside from the aforementioned Angra) are among the genre's finest. Can either band break out beyond where they are today? Hard to say.

Zod

P.S. - if you consider Nevermore to be Power Metal (which some people strangely do) than all conversation about all other bands is unnecessary.

In my opinion, Kamelot, though not European, are the premier power metal band at the moment, not because of popularity but because of quality and consistency. Also, I think some of the more creative older bands such as Blind Guardian have plenty more to contribute. Even when bands like that start to fade away there will be 100 more to take their place. Whether those bands live up to the legends or not remains to be seen.

Harvester said:
Agree 100%.

Glenn H.

I think Glenn enjoys teasing up with cryptic hints ALMOST as much as he enjoys the festival himself :)

manowarfan1/Jeff

The_Kinslayer said:
In my opinion, Kamelot, though not European, are the premier power metal band at the moment, not because of popularity but because of quality and consistency. Also, I think some of the more creative older bands such as Blind Guardian have plenty more to contribute. Even when bands like that start to fade away there will be 100 more to take their place. Whether those bands live up to the legends or not remains to be seen.

Dammit, how'd I forget that. Absolutely correct.

Harvester said:
Agree 100%.

Glenn H.

Does DREAMTALES or TWILIGHTNING ring a bell, or even NOCTURNAL RITES??? oh Shit i forgot THUNDERSTONE.