Kamelot Status for the Festival

Last time I saw Kamelot, Roy was also under the weather, and while he did perform, you could tell it was killing him to do so. I know that his decision was not taken lightly in the least. I hope that he recovers quickly.

Michael is an amazing singer as well, so I think this will end up being a kind of cool show in some ways. I think we should make him wear Roy's coat the whole show though.

On October 20, 2008, Kamelot played their third Minnesota show produced by yours truly at the Station 4 nightclub in downtown St. Paul to nearly 400 fans. Having grown their audience from less than 100 in 2006 to nearly quadruple that on a Monday night two years later, I was ecstatic. Roy was in top form and the show was utterly amazing.

The next day, I got a call on my cell phone from a blocked number. I answered it and to my surprise heard,

"Hello Nathan, this is Roy from Kamelot."

I could barely contain my surprise.

"Roy, how are you?"

"Well, I'm not good ... I'm very sick and I'm at some lousy hotel near the Mall of America. I need some cold medicine but there does not seem to be a ******** around here."

"Roy, stay put - tell me what you need and I'll go get it for you."

Within 5 minutes, I had tossed my theatre keys to my assistant manager and was flying up the street to my local Walgreens. 20 minutes later, I was knocking on Roy Kahn's door with 4 different kinds of cough syrup, two kinds of cough drops and dried apricots. Sick as he was, Roy invited me in and we chatted for nearly an hour. He then proceeded to take out his guitar and play a song for me that he was writing for his young son. I will never forget that evening and how amazing it was that Roy took some time for me even though he was not 100%.

This news is devastating to me and all of my thoughts and prayers are with Roy for a speedy recovery. I cannot imagine what he's going through and I can only speculate on the seriousness and the causes of it so I'm doing my best not to think about it.

As disappointed as I am that Roy will be unable to be in Minnesota for what will be Kamelot's best show ever (I have spared no expense to rent the *best* venue in Minnesota for their fourth appearance), I don't think they could have picked a better replacement. Michael is possibly the best metal vocalist currently performing that nobody knows about. I think he is going to kick serious ass with this material and I cannot wait to hear what he does with it.

Serious kudos to Thomas and the rest of the band for pressing forward without Roy. They would have been completely justified in canceling the tour but they didn't - fans will still be able to see and experience their amazing live performance. Bravo gentlemen!

I cannot wait to see KAMELOT at ProgPower and again in Minnesota for the fourth time on 9/25. I will always be a die-hard supporter of the King of American Power Metal -- the glourious KAMELOT!!!

Nathan Block
SwordLord Productions, Inc.
Serving the Minnesota Metal Community
2002-2010

As others have said, I was shocked when my Brother-In-Law called and told me the news earlier tonight... I was out and completely thought he was screwing with me. I am concerned for Roy and his health, and hope he makes a speedy recovery. While I am disappointed that I won't see him and the full band, how awesome is it for Kamelot to soldier on and to secure Micheal's talents for the tour. I've been fortunate enough to see Kamelot a few times already, and feel badly for those who were going to see the band for the first time as I know how you must feel. However, I have also seen Circus Maximus just as many times, and to all of you I say please give him a chance - He will more than deliver and I think we're all going to be in for a special treat - it will be a night to remember.

Nice to see everyone being so understanding and all, but there is another side to this coin.

I was to travel 700 miles, purchased VIP tickets for meet & greet, all for the purpose of finally meeting Roy Khan. I've paid not only airlines but VIP tix, hotel, rental car, this trip was going to cost me over $1200 dollars.

So, my response is NOT understanding, supportive, or happy.

My response is, NO NO NO NOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

This sucks more than anything has ever sucked.

I am going to cancel Tickets, Rental Car, Hotel, and Airfare.

A replacement singer for Kamelot? This is NOT acceptable! I'm sorry, you do not replace a god. It's simply NOT DONE.

Nice to see everyone being so understanding and all, but there is another side to this coin.

I was to travel 700 miles, purchased VIP tickets for meet & greet, all for the purpose of finally meeting Roy Khan. I've paid not only airlines but VIP tix, hotel, rental car, this trip was going to cost me over $1200 dollars.

So, my response is NOT understanding, supportive, or happy.

My response is, NO NO NO NOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

This sucks more than anything has ever sucked.

I am going to cancel Tickets, Rental Car, Hotel, and Airfare.

A replacement singer for Kamelot? This is NOT acceptable! I'm sorry, you do not replace a god. It's simply NOT DONE.

You're kidding me right? This news hits literally a week before their HEADLINING tour begins. Visas, tickets, buses, crew, etc... are already paid for. Not to mention the promoters who have secured venues and dates, and have already sent in their deposits. To simply cancel this tour or even postpone it, would be a logistical nightmare to everyone involved in the planning. Believe me, everyone involved here would be out a hell of a lot more than 1200 bucks. Life isn't perfect, things don't always go your way. You buy tickets for a show, plane tickets, rental car, hotel, etc... but there is never a guarantee that the show will happen, afterall, Roy is not a god, he is human just like all of the rest of us. You take what you can get (in this case, a very capable singer filling in for him, AT ROY'S REQUEST AND RECOMMENDATION, no less), OR you can suck it up and get over it. I'm not trying to be a dick (for once), but this is the reality of the situation. Kamelot cancelling this tour, simply put, would have put Progpower in SERIOUS jeopardy, not to mention putting all of the other promoters into a bind that could make or break them. Just my .02.

Dude...he's sick. Cancelling the tour wouldn't fix your hotel, rental car, airfare, etc. It sucks that you're out however much you're out, but you'd still be out the airfare and everything if they cancelled the tour. You may not be happy with it, but I don't understand how you can think doing the tour with a fill-in singer is somehow worse than cancelling...

You do what you feel is right, and I will do the same. My entire reason for going and spending extra for VIP tickets isn't going to be there. Therefore there is no reason for me to be there. It's just as simple as that.

You do what you feel is right, and I will do the same. My entire reason for going and spending extra for VIP tickets isn't going to be there. Therefore there is no reason for me to be there. It's just as simple as that.

Unless you got trip insurance, good luck on getting any of that money back. As for ticket refunds, they aren't going to refund your money because the band is still playing. That's the reality.

Honestly? Yes I did. Simply so an opposing viewpoint would be heard amongst the "show must go on" comments.

I understand that point of view, I simply do not share it. And I would bet a dollar that I am not alone.

On THIS forum, you ARE alone, and about to be even more so when Glenn gets wind of you.

I'm very sorry for your troubles, but your attitude stinks.

I bought Gold Badges for TWO DIFFERENT ProgPower festivals just to see Vanden Plas. For various reasons, they didn't make it. I went anyway, and had the time of my life. That's what we're all about here.

Take your whining elsewhere please. Again, I'm sorry for your disappointment, but you just don't get it.

Ban me if you wish. Not everyone is going to just accept this solution. That's reality.

You're kidding me right? This news hits literally a week before their HEADLINING tour begins. Visas, tickets, buses, crew, etc... are already paid for. Not to mention the promoters who have secured venues and dates, and have already sent in their deposits. To simply cancel this tour or even postpone it, would be a logistical nightmare to everyone involved in the planning. Believe me, everyone involved here would be out a hell of a lot more than 1200 bucks. Life isn't perfect, things don't always go your way. You buy tickets for a show, plane tickets, rental car, hotel, etc... but there is never a guarantee that the show will happen, afterall, Roy is not a god, he is human just like all of the rest of us. You take what you can get (in this case, a very capable singer filling in for him, AT ROY'S REQUEST AND RECOMMENDATION, no less), OR you can suck it up and get over it. I'm not trying to be a dick (for once), but this is the reality of the situation. Kamelot cancelling this tour, simply put, would have put Progpower in SERIOUS jeopardy, not to mention putting all of the other promoters into a bind that could make or break them. Just my .02.

That's pretty much right on the money as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes sh*t happens that just isn't anyone's fault and KAMELOT did the best they could to minimize damage. I side with the band's decision.

That's pretty much right on the money as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes sh*t happens that just isn't anyone's fault and KAMELOT did the best they could to minimize damage. I side with the band's decision.

And Arrears, let me even further reiterate something to you. This gentleman right here, Nathan, who not only one of my best friends in this world, but he is also the guy who sponsored Kamelot for progpower. I guarantee you he has a lot money riding on this than you do. From his sponsorship money for the festival to his own private mint he had to establish for their tour stop here, we are looking at thousands upon thousands of dollars. So, if anyone has the right to be pissed off here, it's him. guess who isn't pissed off?

Hope Roy is okay.

Not to make light of anything, but part of me was hoping to hear that Mark Vanderbilt was going to take over the vocal duties. :) That guy was awesome! At any rate, kudos to Michael in advance, for all the work he's going to have to do in order to take on this massive responsibility.

Dude...he's sick. Cancelling the tour wouldn't fix your hotel, rental car, airfare, etc. It sucks that you're out however much you're out, but you'd still be out the airfare and everything if they cancelled the tour. You may not be happy with it, but I don't understand how you can think doing the tour with a fill-in singer is somehow worse than cancelling...

Exactly. The dude IS FUCKING SICK!!!! Things like this happen and it's out of our control. Hell, it's out of everyone's control. It's an act of fucking God for crying out loud. Ardra, I'm sorry but as people have said there are many more people that have more to lose from this than you do. You are being completely 100 percent selfish. I would think as a fan of his, you would feel bad for him. I'm sure he's absolutely devastated he had to drop off the tour. I don't know what he has, but would you rather him show up to these shows sick as a dog and put in terrible performances? I think not. What REALLY PISSES ME OFF though was the fact that you signed up on this forum just to state this. That's one of the most absurd/selfish/idiotic things I've seen on this forum in a long, long time if not ever. How did you think we would respond? Okay, that's all. I just had to get that off my chest.

Exactly. The dude IS FUCKING SICK!!!! Things like this happen and it's out of our control. Hell, it's out of everyone's control. It's an act of fucking God for crying out loud. Ardra, I'm sorry but as people have said there are many more people that have more to lose from this than you do. You are being completely 100 percent selfish. I would think as a fan of his, you would feel bad for him. I'm sure he's absolutely devastated he had to drop off the tour. I don't know what he has, but would you rather him show up to these shows sick as a dog and put in terrible performances? I think not. What REALLY PISSES ME OFF though was the fact that you signed up on this forum just to state this. That's one of the most absurd/selfish/idiotic things I've seen on this forum in a long, long time if not ever. How did you think we would respond? Okay, that's all. I just had to get that off my chest.

Breathe grasshopper, breathe. Let your anger work for you, not against you, hahaha. How do you think I've gotten my asshole routine down so well? :rolleyes:

A lot of things running through my head on this one. First of all disappointment (because I've only seen Kamelot once before), hoping Khan is ok, thinking about how the PPUSA team must have felt when they heard this news, and intrigue about Khan's replacement. I've heard the name Circus Maximus before but hadn't heard their music. I checked it out on MySpace, and while I like it and like the singer's voice I'm concerned because the voices are quite a bit different and wondering how that will all work out.

Ban me if you wish. Not everyone is going to just accept this solution. That's reality.

It happened with Firewind and Epica on thier US tours before....look at it as a rare show with a different edge. The music is still the same but with some different vocals. You are able to get a rare glimps of a band you love doing something that will never happen again. Live with it and enjoy it. I am not even a fan of Kamelot but if I was going to see this show I would take it as something different and just look at the positive side of it. it isnt like this is the only show this is happening on...it is thier whole tour. You are going to a fest that has many other great bands playing. Enjoy the damn show and relax. Kamelot will be around again.