Lies of Smiles - Cross & Claw - For non Ozzy era Sabbath fans

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I don't normally post about old albums but this one is completely unknown with members I've never heard of but heck they do an amazing impression of 80s Sabbath. The singer sounds like a perfect mix between Martin and Dio. It's not really something I love but some of you guys who love Dio/Martin are gonna wanna hear this unknown album that flew under the radar a couple of years back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the album directly from the band last year. This is good traditional metal stuff, but the album has only 6 actual songs, so that was a bit of a disappointment on that point.

Hi lads

Thanks for giving Lies a listen, its much appreciated.

Firebreath, I guess non of us have particulary big profiles.

Tony the singer worked with a band called Berlyn, however he has worked with some "names". Most of us are from the NWOBHM era, Pat O'Neill played in Black Rose. Myself, Keith and Chris worked with Pauline Gillan (Ian Gillan Deep Purple, sister) for many years. Mick Tucker who guested on the Fallen Track was my fellow guitar player in Axis. Fred Purser the producer (a great producer) was the guitar player in Tygers of Pan Tang.

Tony our Singer is out on tour with a band called Skiltron, an Argentinian, Celtic Rock band! Unusual but fun!

Labrek, sorry you were disappointed. Its an independent release, so we had a limited budget, we could have gone to 9 10 tracks but we concentrated on getting the sound right. In our defense the CD was priced competitively I thought. Fallen, Tower of Angels, Warhound, DFA all clock in at over 7-8 mins, with the link pieces I thought it fit together pretty well.

Fred Purser is a great producer, sure you will agree, but great producers aren't cheap. So for an independent release....? However that said, non of the guys are starving musicians, we all live pretty comfortably. We do it because we can, but obviously its good to recoup the recording costs. Cross & Claw broke even, thats great, I didn't care if it did or didn't. It doesn't make a difference to my life, we do it for fun. So my offer is this, if you email me on Liesofsmiles@ntlworld.com I will refund your money via paypal or however it works. I can't be fairer than that can I. A gesture of Anglo-Canadian goodwill.

Firebreath, JohnFrank email me on the above address, tell me what you think Cross & Claw is worth....you can have it for that price! Simple.

Keep rockin...and again many thanks for giving it a listen!

Davy Little
Lies of Smiles

I have listened to the album on Spotify, and there's some good stuff on it.

In some songs the singer reminds me of Rick Hughes, from the band 'Sword', which is a very good thing in my book (I really like both albums from that band).

Hi Davy. I surely don't want to be refunded. As I mentioned, I enjoy the album but only think it's a little on the shorter side in term of lenght. Traditional metal is myfave style and you recorded very good songs. I just wished there were more of them. Are you guys working on a new album as Lies Of Smiles?

'Cross & Claw' is about 41 minutes long: that's not very long indeed, but it definitely isn't very short.
The new 'Illusion Suite' album is only 38 minutes (sure, I would have loved if it had more songs, but fortunately it's a damn good one!).

Hi Labrekk

Hey I appreciate you buying it really. Its always a problem balancing out the quality with the budget, length of CD, Artwork..etc. I just don't want people to think they have been ripped off. I wouldn't like it...I guess as a band member I just have to make the decisions that I think will get the best results. I could have gone for a really cheap, 2 page cover, but again its the package, not so important these days of download, but hey, I'm an older fella and I still remember the excitement of buying a vinyl and appreciating the art work.

At the end of the day, I'm a fan, I listen to rock exclusively, Fave band, Blue Oyster Cult, now that is probably showing my age. Although UFO, Scorpions, some new stuff like Avantasia or Jorn gets played lots. I am suprised at the Sabbath links, that may be Tony as he is very Dio I think, great singer. And I did like the Dio era Sabbath and of course Dio as a solo artist. I guess all the influences show. Oh and of course Grand Funk Railroad, loved them too, Triumph another favourite, the list goes on!

We are rehearsing at the moment, should be in November again with Mr Purser at the helm. Tracks are sounding good, and I have spoken to Pat and Tony about length of CD after this chat with you and we certainly will put more tracks on this one and maintain the quality. What did you think sound wise, I was pretty pleased with the energy and the power. I do like working with Fred Purser he is a top man.

Great to chat! What a great forum for rock fans, brilliant.

Davy
Lies of Smiles

That's great news that a new album is in the works. The packaging and the production of the first one were very good. The main thing is that I'm just no big fans of intros and stuff. You know what I did to really enjoy your album? I just burned a CD-R of the 6 real tracks. That made it much more enjoyable for me. But I know lots of people enjoy intros and outros in their music. Keep us posted about the new album. Will it be released in 2013?

I really, really dig this sound. It's a great throwback with some modern touches, kind of like a contemporary Rainbow. Most definitely a future purchase. It's also kind of creepy how much Tony and I look alike. Great stuff Davy, much impressed.

:kickass:Hi Guys...

Labrekk, thanks for you comments, it's important, there will be more tracks on the new one, as for links and intro's, Yeh I get what your saying, I thing we were trying to link the story..........obviously didn't work :erk: But we do what we do...........and try real hard, but ultimately we do have artistic freedom as we are not kissing some graduates arse in a record company.....oh the joys of not listening to some over(under) educated little wannabe in an A&R tee shirt...........its liberating, trust me!

Letthewookiewin..........face book me Davy Little not a prob, we can then chat about buying the CD, its sold as much as its going to in terms of hard copies, downloads which I fought so hard not to do, but my friend Alan, from Albamsongss/Sony persuaded me...so hard CD sales died as they put it out on digital........so you can have it as a birthday pressie......hey FB me!

Randomaxe...Thank you it means a lot, same applies, facebook me or liesofsmiles@ntlworld.com I'm a fan of all rock music so to chat is great!

From the wilds of the North of England I salute you lads! :kickass:

I really, really dig this sound. It's a great throwback with some modern touches, kind of like a contemporary Rainbow. Most definitely a future purchase. It's also kind of creepy how much Tony and I look alike. Great stuff Davy, much impressed.

Hi Random Axe, yes its is amazing how much you look like "our" Tony! Thanks so much for your positive comments, I am happy with a contemporary Rainbow comparison...great stuff!

Holy smokes! This is awesome and way up my alley! It doesn't remind me of Black Sabbath though, although I can see the Dio/Martin comment though. Must get a copy of this.

Hi SF Metal Man.....thanks for your positive comments it means a lot! Yeh I don't see the Sabbath thing myself and Pat our main writer is a Van Halen type of guy, but Tony and myself like Dio Sabbath, and certainly Tony Martin Sabbath, I think he was criminally underated, oh and Jorn and Rainbow........the list goes on! I guess Tower of angels and Fallen Tony and I wrote the lyrics and asked Pat for a vibe......so thats what we got! Email me liesofsmiles@ntlworld.com

Cheers! :kickass:

Hey Davy, so do you think your new album will be ready to be released in 2013?

:kickass:

Hi Labrekk, well we are hard at it at the moment, so as Pat says "with a fair wind we will make November" however the pressing plants close in UK 30th November and don't open again until January, there is artwork to sort etc, although I have started early on the ideas this time, I can't see a 2013 release. The problem is we all have pretty comfortable lives so we do it when we can, Chris our bass player and keyboard players spends half his year in Spain......so we tend to meander through stuff rather than have a plan and of course, there are families to consider...and we have other business stuff going on, LOL not very rock n roll I know! But...it will mean the product should be strong.

Thanks so much for you interest, its really appreciated, great to chat on here!

Cheers

From the Wilds of England