Listening differently...

Slayer // Reign in Blood. Half way through the second song, I considered swapping this out of my List of 5, in favor of some other unappreciated classic. I found all of the lead play exceedingly abrasive; from Araya's vocals to the guitar solos. However, I stuck with it. After five spins, I can say I've almost begun to appreciate this record.

Taken overall, this experiment was likely overly idealistic. I've begun to confirm my listening habits haven't shifted as a result of abundance, but merely evolved to meet my changing music needs. Whereas a single record could once satisfy the limited listening experiences of my teenage mind, I now require more sustenance to feed that hunger.

I wanted to stay away from just putting my input in...... "hey Greg listen to this" kind if stuff. You aren't going to make a lot of progress with people tugging at you to listen to their favorites, including me, although I have superior taste. >:p~
In all seriousness though, you really picked a very raw effort from Slayer. It is a fan favorite mind you, but since you are starting to appreciate it, I will recommend trying out "Seasons in the Abyss" on your next endeavor.
Now think about that statement for a minute. This IS Bryant. I would much rather you listen to some classic Accept, Metal Church, or the latest Vanden Plas, which didn't click with you, above any Slayer. Having said that, I think there is a reason Slayer is legendary among metal fans..... they never released the same album twice, yet stay distinct. Seasons is about the opposite of RiB in Slayer's standards.
Didn't get much of a buzz on my listening habits reply, but due to that, it makes me literally crawl through stuff I like. Therefore, I utterly and completely DO NOT understand where you are coming from. In fact, there are lots of songs I have listened to literally hundreds of times and I couldn't name the lyrics to you, though I know every inflection of the voice and could sing along with the song.

I've begun listening differently too. But my path is different than limiting myself to X amount of albums. I've limited myself to voluntarily listening to music only when I can devote all my attention to it. We are surrounded by so much of it all the time that it starts to lose its magic. So I don't have pandora on at work. I don't listen to music when I'm driving to work in the morning. I only listen when I'm at home in front of my stereo and my head is clear and my attention is ready to focus fully on the music, to really pay attention to all the elements that mix together to make it.

I've begun listening differently too. But my path is different than limiting myself to X amount of albums. I've limited myself to voluntarily listening to music only when I can devote all my attention to it. We are surrounded by so much of it all the time that it starts to lose its magic. So I don't have pandora on at work. I don't listen to music when I'm driving to work in the morning. I only listen when I'm at home in front of my stereo and my head is clear and my attention is ready to focus fully on the music, to really pay attention to all the elements that mix together to make it.

How do you make it through a day!

My job doesn't really allow many chances to listen to music so it's not bad. I get through the day by focusing on the task at hand, dealing with the situation I'm currently in. Then when I get home I'm excited to go to my listening room and really REALLY listen, to give the music the space it deserves.

In all seriousness though, you really picked a very raw effort from Slayer. It is a fan favorite mind you, but since you are starting to appreciate it, I will recommend trying out "Seasons in the Abyss" on your next endeavor.
I very well may check out some additional Slayer records when all is said and done. But with regard to picking the out and out classic, it's hard to choose anything else from Slayer's catalog.

Now think about that statement for a minute. This IS Bryant. I would much rather you listen to some classic Accept, Metal Church, or the latest Vanden Plas, which didn't click with you, above any Slayer.
Although I don't doubt I could have developed a deeper appreciation for Accept, giving that Wolf has become one of my favorite live guitar players. However, I was looking to find bands/records that I should have / could have gotten.

Didn't get much of a buzz on my listening habits reply, but due to that, it makes me literally crawl through stuff I like. Therefore, I utterly and completely DO NOT understand where you are coming from. In fact, there are lots of songs I have listened to literally hundreds of times and I couldn't name the lyrics to you, though I know every inflection of the voice and could sing along with the song.
Care to elaborate? I'm not sure I'm following you on this point.

For me, I already do some of that. I just can't listen to music at work, because it's too distracting. And morning just isn't a time when I feel like listening to music. Good luck with your experiment.

I very well may check out some additional Slayer records when all is said and done. But with regard to picking the out and out classic, it's hard to choose anything else from Slayer's catalog.

Although I don't doubt I could have developed a deeper appreciation for Accept, giving that Wolf has become one of my favorite live guitar players. However, I was looking to find bands/records that I should have / could have gotten.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure I'm following you on this point.

I actually cringed as I replied with the Slayer thing. I didn't want to start a "Hey Greg listen to this" thread. However, even back when Slayer released their early stuff I felt they were a little........ ehhh.... hard to find the adjective..... unrefined, is the best I can come up with. "South of Heaven" and ultimately "Seasons" gave a more full listening experience.

Well I am glad you like Wolf so much. He is truly a great.

As far as how I look at vocals....... they are simply another instrument. It doesn't mean I don't like what the lyrics say at all mind you, but it is the presentation ten fold above the actual words sang. There are MANY MANY songs (more than not, in fact) I could sing to you, but couldn't actually recite the lyrics of, without singing them in my head first. On my really favorite releases, I pretty much know exactly what EVERY instrument is doing.... instrument including the vocals.
Back to the Accept for one moment. One of the reasons I love Accept's "Metal Heart" so much is because of the "hidden" guitar tracks. There is an incredible amount of guitar riffs and fills hidden deeper in the tracks that you don't really notice until multiple listens.
Another example and I touched on it on another thread is AC/DC. At first listen, stuff like "Back in Black" is "three chord rock" on steroids...... and to many very intelligent metal fans it still sounds that way, but they haven't listened close;y enough. The phrasing of the chords between the brothers Young and how they can both compliment and contrast each other as well as the incredible discipline of the rhythm section is mind numbing, not something simply "nostalgic." Given, they had arguably the "world's greatest producer" record that one, but AC/DC still had to actually play it.
Tone is huge, from any instrument. Spacial relationship is also huge to create the right soundstage. There are a few of my "favorite" releases with far from great production, but they are few and far between. Most that are tend to have a band member or two that is SO elite, they can make up for it. "Blessing in Disguise" does not have elite production, but both Mike Howe (singer) and Kirk Arrington (drummer) put on a clinic of how to pretty much kick ass as a metal singer and drummer.
To go more modern... Vanden Plas and Pagan's Mind both have incredible production, but incredible musicianship as well. If you notice, both Jorn Vigo and Stephan Lill have a LOT of traditional metal in their style. They both still play traditional power chord based riffs. Why ? Because it sounds good. It helps gives a full soundstage unlike single note stuff many modern bands use. Enough rambling..........

Moi