LOL - The Jesus Metal Explosion.

just out of sheer curiosity, I looked at the video while the song played. One question:

Why am I never shocked that these bands are Lily White in both wonderbread blandness and (pardon me for the blatant racism) skin color?

I get the notion of Gospel coming from an underclass of ex-slaves and oppressed minorities. Sure, that's aspirational, and most times secretly coded.

But Clearly Northwestern European-derived (North, Central, and South) Americans have NOTHING to be oppressed about. In fact, they WERE the Oppressors! The whole thing looks and sounds phony, cynical, mean spirited, and trite. Which pretty much goes for any Evangelical christian anything of the 20th and 21st century.

Email the band and ask them their take on it.

just out of sheer curiosity, I looked at the video while the song played. One question:

Why am I never shocked that these bands are Lily White in both wonderbread blandness and (pardon me for the blatant racism) skin color?

I get the notion of Gospel coming from an underclass of ex-slaves and oppressed minorities. Sure, that's aspirational, and most times secretly coded.

But Clearly Northwestern European-derived (North, Central, and South) Americans have NOTHING to be oppressed about. In fact, they WERE the Oppressors! The whole thing looks and sounds phony, cynical, mean spirited, and trite. Which pretty much goes for any Evangelical christian anything of the 20th and 21st century.

Not that I disagree with you, but they're Finns, not Americans...

Also, here's the original version - I looked up the lyrics and they're a Finnish translation of Isaiah 58:3-9:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading this earlier and everyone was talking about how Christian issues and Biblical views to not work well in Metal, and i have to disagree. Yes with in this genre most all the Christian lyrics are very cheesy, but arent most lyrics in this genre cheesy?

let me just throw some Christian bands from other genres that use Christianity to wrote some great metal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLsfR9CvdHU&feature=related[/ame]

and the last one is straight old testament.

Just cause bands like HB and Narnia write cheesy lyrics it doesnt mean that all Christian Metal is lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Nifty, Becoming the Archetype. Did an on-air live interview with us at WREKage last week. Not my first choice for metal but it wasn't bad. And I was praised by them.......for wearing a Cynic t-shirt. :heh: )

Ahem.

I disagree. Despite my feelings about the bible as an atheist, the bible is a perfectly ripe source for lyrical inspiration. There's any number or dark and poetic themes contained within.

Yep, especially if you simply tell your song from the 'dark' standpoint. Case in point, Metallica's "Creeping Death," which is of course a longtime Easter favorite. :lol:

(Nifty, Becoming the Archetype. Did an on-air live interview with us at WREKage last week. Not my first choice for metal but it wasn't bad. And I was praised by them.......for wearing a Cynic t-shirt. :heh: )

Ahem.

Yep, especially if you simply tell your song from the 'dark' standpoint. Case in point, Metallica's "Creeping Death," which is of course a longtime Easter favorite. :lol:

Easter?? That's more of a Passover song, doncha think? :tickled: (Yes, some Christians celebrate Passover!)

And in a case of "all publicity is good publicity", the mocking thread has brought them at least one new fan. I bought the album based off this song. Totally digging it :headbang:

Interesting thread. About the original video, I like HBs other stuff and posted it around when it came out, but I think it may be because HB may be Calvinistic their message sometimes comes off as too forced and in your face without a desirable subtlety that would make it more artistic, poetic, and thoughtful. Then again, something may be lost in translation from the original Finnish language. I agree the Bible has tons of content to use as inspiration for metal lyrics and metal is more so to do with the style of the musical structure, where as the metal-ness of lyrics is another issue, debatable. Interesting to see what people consider metal lyrics vs non metal lyrics. To those of you who celebrate Easter, Happy Easter/Passover/Happy Ressurection Sunday!

It came from them watching the 10 Commandments drunk and probably stoned. People read too far into shit....

It's like an even worse version of Delain.

Sorry if that offends Delain fans, but they're even further away from being 'metal.' False. I will avoid this.

Sorry if that offends Delain fans, but they're even further away from being 'metal.' False. I will avoid this.

Appreciate your opinion, but I guess not everyone thinks art should be divorced from beauty, nor subscribes to what seems to be a very narrow and negatively connotative view of metal. Don't know that I've thought about whether if Delain is a metal band with pop sensibilities or a pop band with metal sensibilities, but I like them regardless.. though, while I could be wrong, I'd tend to think they're the former because of (the majority of) their songs dependence on distorted crunchy guitars and approach.

Appreciate your opinion, but I guess not everyone thinks art should be divorced from beauty, nor subscribes to what seems to be a very narrow and negatively connotative view of metal. Don't know that I've thought about whether if Delain is a metal band with pop sensibilities or a pop band with metal sensibilities, but I like them regardless.. though, while I could be wrong, I'd tend to think they're the former because of (the majority of) their songs dependence on distorted crunchy guitars and approach.

I appreciate your use of a thesaurus, but not everyone thinks the female vocals + soft rock with a distortion pedal classifies as art OR beauty. Metal can be beautiful without flowerly backing music.

Some just don't like Delain. Others do. Personally, I fall into the first category. Nothing wrong with either taste difference.

To those of you who celebrate Easter, Happy Easter/Passover/Happy Ressurection Sunday!

You too!

This whole thread made me realize that I've never written a bible-inspired song. I don't know if I ever will, but if I do it will be a little less obvious. I'm just not comfortable throwing my praises around, but if you are, there isn't anything wrong with that.

Now, writing a song about someone who goes to war for their beliefs (the Crusades, the Inquisition..) that's another story, entirely. And not one that would neccesarily paint the crusadors in a positive light.

This whole thread made me realize that I've never written a bible-inspired song. I don't know if I ever will, but if I do it will be a little less obvious. I'm just not comfortable throwing my praises around, but if you are, there isn't anything wrong with that.

I think something based off the story of Noah's Ark might make a great song. God wiping out nearly the entire human race??? Come on!

I think something based off the story of Noah's Ark might make a great song. God wiping out nearly the entire human race??? Come on!

I think you're right. I'd probably do it from Noah's perspective.. can you imagine being told to save your family while the rest of your friends all drown? Can you imagine the guilt? Such a f'ed up story, when you really think about it. I'll bet there's a part of Noah that envied the dying.

Ehh, I don't think they're quite that bad (the Finnish version of the song, anyway) - I hear way more Nightwish influence, tbh. Still not that heavy, but heavier than Delain, at any rate.