Manilla Road's debut album INVASION

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Ok, so most of you have figured out I am a Manilla Road fanboy by now. Most of you are probably saying, No shiznit Jasonic, what you gonna tell us next, that you like Trouble and Candlemass??? :lol:

Anyhow, I was listening to Manilla Road's debut INVASION this morning in the car, and realized that this might be the band's proggiest most experimental release.

Check out the clip below for the song FAR SIDE OF THE SUN.
I can not help but think of HAWKWIND, esp the first couple minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people in this forum are asking themselves who the hell is Manilla Road, or who cares? Just doesn't see like a very popular one around these parts like say Savatage who seem to be worshipped here.
I myself am a big Manilla Road fan. Considering getting a tat of the skull even.
It makes since that the earlier album is a little more "proggy" considering the time it came out. Not as say proggy as Legend was. But to mention the word progressive when talking about these bands I think will be lost on most people seeing what people consider progriessive rock and metal now. But that is an on going debate.
I thought 'Meta' was kind of terrible. In fairness haven't list to either one in years. 'Crystal Logic' is where it's at.:headbang:

Agreed, though for a lot of people around these parts, I would think they might prefer the earlier proggy stuff, than say their more trad metal or even thrashier stuff (Like Out of the Abyss). This was the reason for posting it here.

It always amazes me when I hear these under rated bands early work, and go, "Damn! who was doing metal like this in 1979????" Sure, of course there were many other bands at that time laying the groundwork for metal, but I think MR took things to a different level.

A tat of their skull logo would be killer!

I think a lot of people in this forum are asking themselves who the hell is Manilla Road, or who cares? Just doesn't see like a very popular one around these parts like say Savatage who seem to be worshipped here.

I like Manilla Road, but I'm not sure why some of you get so bent out of shape because Savatage is regarding so highly around here. For one thing, Glenn is a huge fan and he's exposed alot of his audience to them over the years. Also, it's beyond me how anyone could like bands like Manilla Road and not like Savatage, at least early Savatage! Savatage shouldn't be brought into this thread, but you brought them up.

With that said, I like Manilla Road and do think the band was ahead of their time. Crystal Logic was my first experience of the band, due to Jasonic's recommendation. I haven't heard this early effort, but it sounds interesting. The band's catalog is a little pricy to buy, thus making it difficult to get many of their releases, at least for me.

~Brian~

I like Manilla Road, but I'm not sure why some of you get so bent out of shape because Savatage is regarding so highly around here. For one thing, Glenn is a huge fan and he's exposed alot of his audience to them over the years. Also, it's beyond me how anyone could like bands like Manilla Road and not like Savatage, at least early Savatage! Savatage shouldn't be brought into this thread, but you brought them up.

With that said, I like Manilla Road and do think the band was ahead of their time. Crystal Logic was my first experience of the band, due to Jasonic's recommendation. I haven't heard this early effort, but it sounds interesting. The band's catalog is a little pricy to buy, thus making it difficult to get many of their releases, at least for me.

~Brian~

As I said in another thread, it isn't because Savatage is talked about. It's simply due to the extent they are talked about that pisses some people off. I love Savatage but for crying out loud, 3 ongoing threads about them is a bit much, don't you think?

Savatage was just the first band that came to mind. And as far as what Glenn likes well who cares? You say that if to suggest that everyone here should like what Glenn likes. Interest cause the forum has always given that impression.
I was merely trying to say that here things are pretty consistent with pretty much the same sounding bands here and doesn't stray to much. But I do believe that if Glenn (speaking of) said he liked Manilla Road or put them on that fest everyone in this forum would fall in line. I'm sure that several would disagree but it would happen. But that is not the point nor do I want to get into that.
Also I was not hinting that I did not like Savatage, I do have much and have since 'Hall of the Mountain King'
I have always found it interesting that early metal bands here in America like Manilla Road got looked over because of the N.W.O.B.H.M. Granted America was no where close to producing that as many bands as the U.K.; bands but to be honest any band regardless if they sounded like Venom or Bad Company over there was tagged N.W.O.B.H.M. Still the few coming out where as strong as what Britain was offering up between 78 to 83.

Savatage was just the first band that came to mind. And as far as what Glenn likes well who cares? You say that if to suggest that everyone here should like what Glenn likes. Interest cause the forum has always given that impression.
I was merely trying to say that here things are pretty consistent with pretty much the same sounding bands here and doesn't stray to much. But I do believe that if Glenn (speaking of) said he liked Manilla Road or put them on that fest everyone in this forum would fall in line. I'm sure that several would disagree but it would happen. But that is not the point nor do I want to get into that.
Also I was not hinting that I did not like Savatage, I do have much and have since 'Hall of the Mountain King'
I have always found it interesting that early metal bands here in America like Manilla Road got looked over because of the N.W.O.B.H.M. Granted America was no where close to producing that as many bands as the U.K.; bands but to be honest any band regardless if they sounded like Venom or Bad Company over there was tagged N.W.O.B.H.M. Still the few coming out where as strong as what Britain was offering up between 78 to 83.

They'd be a good oddball choice...not to say they're odd sounding exactly, but you know what I mean. Yeah, it's interesting how a lot of US bands with that NWOBHM or Sabbath sound got the shaft. The only band I think with that type of sound that made it in the US would be Queensryche.

That's not what I meant at all. Over the years, he's supported both Jon and Zak in their Sava related endeavors, so naturally some of this crowd will be won over by the music, if not before. Damn dude, get off of your high horse. :rolleyes:

I did not mean to led this to a talk about Savatage. Damn I could have used any name that it constantly worshiper here.

If this forum is so bad and so un-enlightened, then why do you hang out here then?

~Brian~

PS - Jason, I really do apologize...back to MANILLA ROAD.

Yeah, it's interesting how a lot of US bands with that NWOBHM or Sabbath sound got the shaft. The only band I think with that type of sound that made it in the US would be Queensryche.

Dude....I hate to keep ripping into your posts, but seriously????

You hear Sabbath / NWOBHM in Queensryche???????????

"un-enlightened"? I like to point out that I never said that nor did I carry on as if on any "high horse".
I don't hear much N.W.O.B.H.M. type vibe in Queensryche either. Actually I think they were a little more uqniue than most of the British bands around 83. By '83 the N.W.O.B.H.M. had basically ground steal are started to just produce clones it seemed. Not speaking from my "high horse" there just going on my option that happens to be a keen to most reviews of the time.

Dude....I hate to keep ripping into your posts, but seriously????

You hear Sabbath / NWOBHM in Queensryche???????????

DEFINITELY NOT SABBATH!!! I'm not that crazy. :lol: I do hear some NWOBHM in Queensryche, though mostly vocal delivery. Sorry, I should've clarified that. My main point was that most US bands that had a similar sound to either Sabbath or Priest/Maiden, etc. never really took off.

I'm glad they abandoned the space rock. I found Manilla Road much later (last couple years or so), but that early stuff, I don't know, its not unique enough. I prefer the epic doom metal phase, when I'd say they were most progressive because they were basically inventing something.

DEFINITELY NOT SABBATH!!! I'm not that crazy. :lol: I do hear some NWOBHM in Queensryche, though mostly vocal delivery. Sorry, I should've clarified that. My main point was that most US bands that had a similar sound to either Sabbath or Priest/Maiden, etc. never really took off.

Well, I certainly agree that many US cult bands vocally were influenced by NWOBHM. Sorry, I misread your post.

Thanks for posting Jasonic, very kewl. It sounds dated but in a kewl way, most everything does prior to 1984 because of production limitations at that time.

My favorite release = Manilla Road - (1986) The Deluge
My favorite Manilla Road song = "Dementia"

1495.jpg

Hey Jason, do you know of any good places to get their discography? I've been interested for some time, but everywhere I look they're ridiculously overpriced.

you won't get the deluge as it's out of print but the rest is recently reissued from Iron Glory, SKR and Sentinel Steel records should have some. First 2 albums come together, Roadkill and Out of the Abyss together(but Out of the Abyss comes cheap, not legendary of the 80s 4). Open the gates is OOP too, Crystal Logic and Mystification reissues are everywhere for like 12 bucks, Voyager is getting rare now, but all of their stuff from Spiral Castle is easy to find, cept Voyager.

best song is definitely Astronomnica :kickass: