MegadetH Pledgemusic campaign...

OK, hasn't this whole crowdfinding thing gone too far? If you're one of the biggest names in metal and have a contract on a big label, you should not be going hat in hand to your fans. This just takes away from smaller bands who really do need that model to survive.

I don't know...... This doesn't seem any more egregious than charging extra for VIP passes or meet and greets with the band..... With the income from record sales drying up more and more, even well established bands have to find some sort of supplemental income. I don't think their is any sort of implication that "without your help, there might not be another Megadeth album"; rather, it's an opportunity for die-hard fans with too much money to get some perks with the new release.....

This is not the sort of thing I would ever participate in, but I don't have a problem with it either. Personally, I prefer this to the idea of selling "stock" in a song or band like Queensryche is doing. At least this is straight cash for material.

I don't know...... This doesn't seem any more egregious than charging extra for VIP passes or meet and greets with the band.....
This is not the sort of thing I would ever participate in, but I don't have a problem with it either. Personally, I prefer this to the idea of selling "stock" in a song or band like Queensryche is doing. At least this is straight cash for material.

I think this is where I fall. When I first saw it I was asking myself "is this bilking or fan service?" and given the nature of the offered items I think I'm veering more toward fan service. It seems a bit egregious because it's Megadeth, but other than that I can't really hold it against them.

OK, hasn't this whole crowdfinding thing gone too far? If you're one of the biggest names in metal and have a contract on a big label, you should not be going hat in hand to your fans. This just takes away from smaller bands who really do need that model to survive.

I don't think Megadeth is with Roadrunner anymore. Hardly anyone is with Roadrunner anymore.

Why endthread? Why do you think it's gone too far? If you don't want to send money to Megadeth for some perks, don't. Pretty simple too me.

I'm an outsider, and I don't understand how everything works, but what is wrong with smaller bands asking their fans to help release a disc? I've dropped a couple bucks on bands to help them get their music released and help them tour. I was happy to. Bands I don't like or care for, I don't send them money.

Jason, if your band wanted to put out a disc, but didn't have a label or money - you wouldn't ask for help from your fans? You'd just put it on the shelf and say screw it, crowdfunding has gone too far?

Just my $0.02.

To me, it's simple supply and demand. If Dave is willing to sell guitar lessons for $3,000 and someone is willing to pay for it, let them. It's not hurting anyone.

Yea, this is where I am with this. I might find some of it slightly distasteful, but as long as it is all above board and fans know exactly what they are paying for and bands deliver what is advertised. I can easily choose to ignore the ones that have very little interest for me.

Also I try not to judge too much, because we all know we are fans of some sort of band, film, show etc where we would gladly overpay for some sort of trinket, offer or special opportunity. Megadeth is clearly not that thing for me, I have not liked an album of theirs for decades. But don't laugh too much at the person paying for Dave's ball sweat, because one day you might pay for something that looks equally stupid to non-fans :lol:

But don't laugh too much at the person paying for Dave's ball sweat, because one day you might pay for something that looks equally stupid to non-fans :lol:
Exactly. It's all relative. If I have more money than I know what to do with, play guitar, and think the sun rises and sets on Dave Mustaine, why wouldn't I drop $3K for a lesson?

I'm with Justin on this. If Megadeth wants to have a sale and offer these things to their fans, fine. I have no problem with them doing that. All the power to them. Let them make all the money they want.

But the whole idea of crowd funding is to allow bands that otherwise would not have the means to release a product a way to do it. Megadeth certainly has the means to record and release an album. They do not need to do crowd funding to raise money to record an album, so why disguise this money making venture as crowd funding?

Pretty soon we'll see U2 and the Rolling Stones crowd funding their new album. If they want to offer items for sale...cool. But again, don't call it crowd funding. Just like big bands charging outrageous prices for concert tickets ends up hurting smaller bands touring opportunities by directing potential money fans might spend elsewhere, this kind of thing could do the same thing.

But the whole idea of crowd funding is to allow bands that otherwise would not have the means to release a product a way to do it. Megadeth certainly has the means to record and release an album. They do not need to do crowd funding to raise money to record an album, so why disguise this money making venture as crowd funding?

Pretty soon we'll see U2 and the Rolling Stones crowd funding their new album. If they want to offer items for sale...cool. But again, don't call it crowd funding. Just like big bands charging outrageous prices for concert tickets ends up hurting smaller bands touring opportunities by directing potential money fans might spend elsewhere, this kind of thing could do the same thing.

I'm with you, but even bigger bands need corporate sponsorship to fund bigger tours. Let's just say for argument sake, the next time Dream Theater tours, they want to do a bit bigger of a production (I don't know, a new laser fog machine that animates images or some garbage). What if they could get a corporate sponsorship to make it happen? This might carry with it gaudy signage, premium seats reserved for promotion, extra press to "promote" the tour/advertise, etc. Or what if they could fund the additional cost of the tour by doing things like crowdfunding where at least the fans who want to could do special things? One could argue that they could pay for the tour other ways, but perhaps a tour partly funded by the fans is more palatable than a corporate sponsorship.

I have crowdfunding fatigue too and I get where you're coming from, but I think there is some room to think about these issues too.

This is simply the outcome of sustaining a band in a market where album sales cannot be replied upon for revenue... and it's likely the new normal. I recall reading an article a few years ago, where the author envisioned a shift from a "small fish" to a "large fish" model. Whereas artists use to rely on a thousand people (small fish) spending $15 per record, they will now rely on a 150 people (big fish) spending a $1,000 on something more intimate. Crowdfunding is merely the realization of that shift.

One could argue that they could pay for the tour other ways, but perhaps a tour partly funded by the fans is more palatable than a corporate sponsorship.

Hmmm, aren't all tours partly funded by fans already through things called ticket sales? Aren't the fancy laser fog machines the reason you already pay $65 to see Dream Theater instead of $25 like you do for a band playing a club?

For the record, I think crowdfunding has it's place, especially with the new reality of the music business. Heck, I'd like to see some of those European bands do some kind of crowdfunding to make it possible to tour the states. So many European bands think they can't play the states because they think the ticket prices have to be in the $25 range, while some of us would gladly pay Iron Maiden type prices to see them.

Like I said, I agree wit you for the most part and I did not post necessarily to disagree or counter you,more thinking out loud. Like Zod said, I think the landscape for smaller or medium sized bands (which is honestly what Megadeth is now a days) to make a sustainable living in the time of low records sales is tough. Thus bands have got to be creative and there are going to be some disasters as bands explore that space

I love seeing all the tone deaf responses about crowdfunding when a band does it for only a couple grand, casually ignoring how frequent legendary game developers do it and raise literally millions of dollars in one month with no issues.