METAL CHURCH Rejoined By Singer MIKE HOWE

Wish they hadn't touched this track. He sounds decent, but no reason to re-record material from a masterpiece because honestly there is no way he can recapture the power of his youth. I will await new material patiently. :)

I agree but i think this was recorded just whet the fans appetite and show that Mike can still belt it out..which he can..sounds awesome

Won't lie, had a little chill run down my spine listening to this. Cannot wait for new stuff.

Sounds pretty good, given how many years have passed. There also might be rights issues with prior record labels that play into a decision to re-record.

I would have to say that Mike sounds better than "decent" on this re-recording, Matt. I understand that you have a sentimental attachment to this song, but you can't fault the band for wanting to show that their old, formerly retired-from-the-music-business singer still has pipes. That's the important thing: after 22 years, this guy still has tremendous pipes. The recording and mixing methods for 1989 and 2015 couldn't be more different, so that's another factor to consider here. For what it's worth, I'm digging how the band is sounding today, and I can't wait to hear new material from them.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Badlands is one of my favorite metal songs ever! I think Howe and the band sound great on this re-recorded version. I have to admit, I'm biased, but I enjoyed hearing Jeff Plate bang it out on the drums on this too!

~Brian~

I agree but i think this was recorded just whet the fans appetite and show that Mike can still belt it out..which he can..sounds awesome

Exactly. This recording was not done over a long period. They just ripped it out quickly probably from their home studio.

Won't lie, had a little chill run down my spine listening to this. Cannot wait for new stuff.

Ditto !!

Sounds pretty good, given how many years have passed. There also might be rights issues with prior record labels that play into a decision to re-record.

I don't expect this to be on the new release. Having said that, I don't have any "inside information" so it is simply a gut feeling.

Badlands is one of my favorite metal songs ever! I think Howe and the band sound great on this re-recorded version. I have to admit, I'm biased, but I enjoyed hearing Jeff Plate bang it out on the drums on this too!

~Brian~

Jeff does a good job. Those are huge shoes to fill. Kirk is an elite drummer. In fact, I would say "Blessing in Disguise" is practically a clinic on how to be a super badass drummer.

Bryant

METAL CHURCH - FIRST OFFICIAL PHOTO OF NEW LINE-UP POSTED

5627484F-metal-church-first-official-photo-of-new-line-up-posted-image.jpg

RETURNED SINGER MIKE HOWE - "KURDT DIDN'T WANT TO CARRY ON WITH METAL CHURCH UNLESS I CAME BACK"; NEW EPK STREAMING

About his return Mike Howe remarks: "Kurdt Vanderhoof got a hold of me in August 2014 and he proposed me coming back to the band. He didn’t want to carry on with Metal Church unless I considered coming back. I told him that I was open to it, but I wanted to see what kind of music we could come up with. We went back into the studio and started writing songs in the vein of Hanging In The Balance, and he sent them to me over the internet and I was like ‘damn!’ He was doing great work, so he sent me another batch, which was good if not better than the others. So I said to him that ‘I can’t say no to this.’ So I started writing lyrics and we were getting together it morphed into this.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hear an "instant classic" but it is MORE than promising enough for a blind buy. There aren't more than a handful of singers I like more than Mike. His voice has changed ever so slightly. He has a little darker color to his voice. The highs don't have that youthful edge, but it hasn't changed that much all things considered. I think Metal Church also needs to pull Jeff Plate aside and tell him to just "go for it" as well. One of the things that really "Blessing in Disguise" (Metal Church's greatest release in my ear) and Joe Metal band also ran were the drums in Blessing. Even by today's standards, Kirk put on an absolute clinic. The drums were also quite high in the mix much like mid era Metallica. I believe Jeff is a very talented drummer or he wouldn't have been playing for TSO. I hope he gets a big role. Metal Church just seems "right" with loud technical drums.

I'm really impressed by Mike Howe. I hear the same voice as 22 years ago, which is quite unbelievable for a guy that disappeared from the scene. I'm looking forward to that album quite a bit.