Might be a problem...

Good point about the A/C. In years past, I was shocked when I noticed that the air in the venue/bowl area was actually cooler and drier than the air backstage....I've never witnessed that at a concert venue, and it was really cool....pardon the pun.

Another vote for A/C this year! :kickass:

My advice to those people who want to survive standing:
1. Pace yourself.
2. Drink no more than 2 bottles of water per day of the festival (unless you plan on investing in some adult diapers).
3. Try to get on the rail, it's a lot less unpleasant than standing in the 2nd row as it gives you something to lean against.

4. If you're on the rail and can't leave, pay some kind band sponsor, like, $50* to bring you ice-water between sets. :lol:

-=-=-=-
* granted, $49.50 of that $50 was to pay for the hotel room, but the stunned onlookers didn't need to know THAT part. :heh:

Or, don't stop drinking until the festival is over. Sobering up has a horrible effect on your ability to keep drinking.:kickass:

Zod
:lol::lol: I saw more than a few people suffering from that problem (Drew!) They should take a lesson from Tore, the porch king.

Actually SharkBlack made a good point above: Remember to EAT! That's always my downfall. Even if I pace the booze, forgetting to eat can be a killer to your stamina. I usually find Wednesday and Saturday to be the bigger partying days for me. Not as much is going on Thursday during the day, so I can get a lot of sleep and Saturday is the finale. As long as you wait until about the 3rd set to pick up the pace, you'll have plenty of energy for the end. I try to keep it light the other two days to avoid having a hangover for any of the big show days.

In regards to the heat, I was *bitched* at by multiple bands in the early years for the room being too cold. Vocalist have a hell of a time with it being cold. The last time Kamelot played. Roy had on an Arctic coat, scarf, and headgear backstage in order to be ready for the temp in the room.

Thus, it's a bit warmer now and will remain that way for the forseeable future.

Ahh... Glenn brings up a good point. It did feel warmer last year, which I already understood, so I tolerated it. My problem was MY OWN DEODORANT! Yeah, that was me STANKIN up the room for Zero Hour and Vision Divine. Sorry folks.

I'm surprised I haven't heard Swordlord revealing his battle secrets! That boy outlasted EVERYONE! Crazy kid...

Also, I'd recommend that youz frontrow guyz do three things:

A. Cargo pants with pockets on the thighs, and put a bottle of water into each pocket. My army issue BDU's have paid for themselves in cargo capacity value. I'll never wear regular jeans to the show again!

2. COMFY SHOES. Make sure you're gellin' before you get there. Your back and feet will love you for it. Yes, you too can be gellin' in your steel-toed shit-kickers. Nobody will know you're a sissy. ;)

D. Soak your heads between sets. Yeah, you'll mess up your fine hairstyles for pickin up da ladies later that night in your striped shirts and seashell necklaces at the hip hop club. *snicker* But if you just splash some water onto your head and cool yourself down every once in a while, it really keeps down the chances of overheating. Take a rag with ya, get it a bit wet, then soak your head. The rag is more necessary for the shaven-headed folk. Long haired freaky people need not apply. ;) I'm not talking about emptying a whole bottle each set, just about a mouthful is enough each time.

Thats odd. I had no idea vocalists were such ninny's. lol.. Seriously though, I guess that explains it. too bad they don't have fans or something in there. I guess the heat isn't a major issue to those sitting for the show either, just those of us who like to stand for 3-4 bands a night.

I suggest then, if the AC cannot be cranked, that you have your crew come out and hose the crowd down in beer :D

Also, good call on the Cargo pants Bryan. I'll definitely do that this year.

C'mon, what's all the wining about here! SACK UP! This is a metal festival! You want a real challenge? Try Music Midtown (RIP). You start Friday at about 5:00 and go until 11:00. Then return Saturday at 1:00 to go until Midnight in the hot sun. Come back Sunday from 1:00 to 11:00 again. All outside, all with moshing, crowd surfing, and projectiles. THAT's serious stuff!!! I did that for 6 years straight...and I miss it!

In all seriousness though, does anyone find that if they sit down they actually lose energy? Last year my wife was doing fine through Thunderstone. We sat down for some of Epica and she was DONE. When she stood back up she was good again. Thinking she was awake and good to go, she sat down about 1/2 way through Jorn's set and was again gone. Anyone else have the same problem?

The key word here is PACE YOURSELF. You know you are going to drink so EAT A FULL MEAL so that by the time you get to Centerstage you can begin to drink on a full stomach. STAND ONLY FOR THE BANDS YOU TRULY WANT TO STAND FOR, take a break. Walk around in between sets, you will give your muscles a break plus the Lobby is cool a place to hang. The heat will make you want to drink more so that is good. Be glad you are not a girl and have to do this is heels (even though I did have flats with me)..lol..

This metalchick wears her very metal tennis shoes for the fest. :p You might see me in my boots for the Showcase night, but that's a big if. I will wear boots to the preparty cause I know I can park it in a seat easily if needed.

This metalchick wears her very metal tennis shoes for the fest. :p You might see me in my boots for the Showcase night, but that's a big if. I will wear boots to the preparty cause I know I can park it in a seat easily if needed.

:lol: Love it. I might be packin' me VANS this year!!

Eat well, sit alittle while and I must say to make sure you wash your hands. Why you ask? It is very common with all the germs going around and being inside of a building for so long 2 or 3 days straight with so many people, it is very common for people to be sick for a week or so after one of these fun filled fests.

A lotta good advice on pacing.

I suggest the following: leave on Monday.

I did that last year and found it far preferable to getting up Sunday morning after a couple hours' sleep and stumbling to the airport.

Plus, I got to hear the maids make funny comments as they slogged through mountains of beer bottles and pizza boxes in the adjoining rooms!

"How can they drink this much!":kickass:

haha i was tired as hell this past one as well. i had to stand for the first two bands of the first night, than sat.

for the second night i would have nothing less than being on the rail for all of Epica cos they fuckin rule, and did great. it would have been more manageable if thunderstone/vision divine didnt completely surprise me and get me much more excited and into it than i anticipated

I did that last year and found it far preferable to getting up Sunday morning after a couple hours' sleep and stumbling to the airport.

Plus, I got to hear the maids make funny comments as they slogged through mountains of beer bottles and pizza boxes in the adjoining rooms!

"How can they drink this much!":kickass:

Just think if I hadn't bagged up those TWO HUGE trash bags prior to them getting to our room. :lol: I bet those things were a good 50 lbs each...

I find that I have the same problem someone mentioned in that I lose energy if I sit down, and even doze off, especially for later sets. That happened to me at times last year during Jorn's set, so I ultimately had to just stand up. Now, I almost always stand during metal concerts, because I simply enjoy it more than if I'm sitting down... but I was so fatigued by the time Jorn's set rolled around last year that I figured I'd sit for a while. This wasn't a result of drinking, as I don't drink much, but mainly due to my travel schedule last year being so tight that I got *very* little sleep. Of course, midway through Jorn's set was not exactly when I wanted to catch up on that sleep, so I forced myself to stand up for the remainder. Needless to say, I will be arranging my travel schedule differently this year, heh.

Still, having gone for all these years, I've pretty much worked out what works best for me. During performances, I almost always stand. However, I have no interest in being on the front rail for 8 hours straight. I actually prefer standing about halfway to 3/4 of the way towards the back of the floor area. I find this gives me the best sightlines and the best acoustics.

Also, I hate staying inside the theater during set changes... I find it incredibly annoying to stand there seeing vague silhouettes onstage through the black curtain, looking at my watch, and getting more and more pissed off that it seems to be taking so long to set up. I sometimes did that for the first couple years, since that's what I was used to doing at regular concerts. However, now I head right for the exit the moment a band leaves the stage, and mill around in the hallway, the vendor's room, or outside the venue, talking to people (and making sure I give my feet some rest time). This way, the next band is on in seemingly no time at all, and I can head in right as they start. And since my preferred position is in the middle part of the floor (as opposed to highly coveted spots like the rail or the center seats), I can easily get back to right where I want to be.

I'd rather head out on Sunday and save on the hotel bill, but I will definitely NOT be booking another 10:20 a.m. flight! :zombie:

It's also important to "pace" after you get home. This year, I'm taking off work the following Monday *and* Tuesday. :)