My review of MANOWAR in MN, 2/9/2014

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Tonight was my 10th time seeing Manowar on US soil – not an easy feat considering they tour the United States about once every 5 years. Also, as near as I can figure, it has been at least 15 years since they last played Minnesota – therefore it was a foregone conclusion that I would be attending the show to see one of my all-time favorite bands perform in my home state. As always, Manowar shows are a sight to see but, lately, by the end, they always end up being “pretty good” instead of amazing. This review will attempt to figure out why.

Mill City Nights was the perfect venue for Manowar – capacity, stage and ceiling height were all ideal for the type of show they put on. Upon walking into the venue, ambient orchestral music filled the venue, house lights were at mid-level while the stage lighting threw beams of alternating cool and hot colors on the stage and the audience. On the video screen behind the stage, the Manowar logo dominated the scene, making it very clear that only one band was playing tonight. This is by far the best pre-show mood setting I have ever seen by this band.

As usual, the band was late. The advertisement was for “8:00pm sharp,” but Manowar didn’t actually take the stage until about 8:20pm. This time, in addition to their familiar choral opening with voice of God intro, they had video accompaniment – smoke and flames on the backdrop introduced Manowar to Minneapolis. This, again, was a marked improvement over previous openings I have seen.

For the first few songs, I really thought that this might be the greatest Manowar show ever. As always, the band opened with their self-titled song which they have opened with every single show that I have ever seen. From there they went right into Blood of Mine Enemies which was a welcome addition to the setlist and I don’t recall having heard that before. The video accompaniment added to every single song either with live action video or a simple shot of the corresponding album cover. By the time the third song, Sign of the Hammer, came up, the crowd was at a frenzy and everyone was in full metal fury. Even the next offering from the rather weak 2012 offering Lord of Steel (they played the title track) came off much better live than I would have thought. The audience obviously was not that familiar with the track but it still was well-received. Manowar then launched into Dawn of Battle which is one of their most brilliant and under-appreciated songs since it was only featured on an EP. I had heard the song live before, but I never get tired of it. The majority of the audience had not heard it before and they responded with thunderous approval.

Right after the band performed Kingdom Come, a video was played entitled Fallen Heroes which was dedicated to a number of individuals who had passed that had influenced Manowar in various ways. I was pleasantly surprised at who was honored. Technical and musical pioneers and technicians as well as Ronnie James Dio and of course, Scott Columbus were all featured in an especially moving way. The band then did a very intimate take of Heart of Steel where Joey, Eric and Karl all sat and did the first verse in an almost acoustic manner. That was far and away the highlight of the show for me.

And that’s where it all started to go downhill. The soundman, who previously had the room dialed in, started tweaking the levels and never got it right again. Logan’s guitar came and went with an almost comical effect. At one point, the bass was so overpowering that it drowned out nearly everything else on-stage.

But the biggest disappointment of the evening was yet to come. Nearly every website that had reported the tour had said that Manowar would be playing the 1988 Kings of Metal album in its entirety as this was the 25th Year Anniversary tour. No such thing happened. Manowar played three songs off of it (all of which I’ve heard in previous sets) and that was it.

And then … Joey took the microphone.

After doing hundreds if not thousands of shows, you would think that Joey would be adept by now at public speaking. He isn’t. In fact, if anything, he’s gotten worse. Furthermore, he seems to confirm every bad rumor that has ever been said about him every single time he gets up to speak. First, he poked fun at the venue by relaying a series of situations that more than likely did not happen or if they did, were embellished for the sake of being on-stage. Why can’t he just say, “This is a killer venue, we’ve been treated great and we are so happy to be here!” Having done two concerts myself as a promoter at Mill City Nights, I can publicly state that it is an amazing venue to hold a show at and everyone is a top-notch professional and at the top of their game. The venue’s equipment is first-rate, the dressing areas are clean and spacious and my experience at MCN has been first class all the way. I have no idea why Joey has to make it seem like Manowar is some big heroic band for bringing in all their own gear. They are not the only band that does this. Even “smaller” metal acts like Kamelot have had lengthy production riders where I have had to rent small truckloads of equipment in order to give the fans the quality of show that was required. Manowar does this and it is reflected in the (very high) ticket price – Joey doesn’t have to draw attention to it with “fish stories” that now border on the ludicrous. He even said that the video projector that the band was using cost $100,000. Joey, I’ve got news for you – I’m a movie theater owner and my brand new state of the art Barco series 1 2K resolution digital projector cost $45,000. If you actually DID pay $100,000 for your tiny portable 1600 lumens video projector, you got ripped off! Instead of trying to justify the ticket price for the fans with lies, just be honest – just say, “Hey, this is an immense undertaking to put on a tour, we do the best we can, thanks for paying the price to come out and see us, we will try not to let you down.” And then deliver a great show.

Joey went on to give marriage advice to a male audience member (“get some road miles on her before you marry her”), said all of the Minnesota men were tough like New Yorkers and basically sounded like a buffoon. It has been said, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.” Somebody should engrave this on Joey’s bass guitar.

The encore was Warriors of the World which is easily one of Manowar’s best songs of all time followed by Black Wind Fire & Steel which has been played on every tour since 2005. 14 songs, barely a 90 minute set and only 3 songs off of Kings of Metal when we were promised the entire album. Not to mention the “technical difficulty” that followed Warriors which just has to be a stunt. They have “technical difficulties” where Joey comes out and rants about how they are going to fix it and soldier on – does he really think that’s cool? The mark of a good show should be that a band has rehearsed and checked their gear enough so that difficulties, especially ones that cause the show to literally cease, are kept to a minimum. Yet this has happened at every show I have ever seen. What is the deal?

When I saw Manowar in the 90’s, the band would stay afterwards and meet the fans and sign autographs, sometimes at their own peril! I remember meeting the band outside the tour bus in the middle of downtown Detroit in 1999! That is not a safe place to be at one o’clock in the morning! Yet the band sat there and took pictures and signed autographs. I have a picture on my wall right next to me of myself and Joey DeMaio from that very show. This doesn’t happen anymore. Now the band flees the venue and nobody gets to see them. Other bands do “AN Evening With …” shows that encompass 2 or 3 hours’ worth of material. With all of the sudio albums and EP’s that Manowar has, they could easily play this long. Why don’t they? For a $100 ticket, the price certainly warranted an extra 30 minutes worth of music.

It pains me to write this and feel this way, but after being a Manowar fan for over two decades, I think I’ve earned the right to rant. A band that calls themselves the Kings of Metal should be able to earn that title – not only with their recorded media but with their live shows. US fans have always taken a back seat to the epic shows Manowar has put on in Europe and yet again, we have to wonder if this band that we have all love so much will ever really show us that love in return.

Brutal. Going this week in Atlanta (haven't seen them before) and am very disappointed at the show length. Given your review and what I've read about the Chicago show, the 14 songs is obviously the norm.

I wonder if there's a reason behind the short set list.

It's a shame Joey still feels the need to do his little rants. When I do get a chance to see the band, I just treat it as an intermission; take a leak and grab a drink.

Thanks for the review.

I'd hate to be one of those people from Detroit who got screwed initially in Detroit, then drove all the way to Chicago to get screwed again..

This band is a joke.

FYI, the same "not fucking the girl because her bf is a brother in metal" conversation happened in New York City almost 10 years ago when they played with Rhapsody. I've also heard of the "technical difficulties" at *every. single. show* they play.

I think I'll use that $75/ticket on 3 other shows in the next month or so that are worth it. I'm sure Dave Meniketti'll deliver more for a whole lot less next month.

14 songs is a joke.

What was the complete setlist?

They played Kings of Metal (sans Crown which was simply the recording to close out the show, and Pleasure Slave which is excluded from the re-recording) in its entirety in Chicago.

Also, they played Blood on the tour they did in '02 with Immortal.

I do agree that it's a shame that the US doesn't get the epic performances that other countries do for Manowar. I also agree that the setlist was WAY too short, given the fact the tickets were so high plus there was no opening band to share that income with.

that being said, they performed great and sounded amazing in Chicago.

To each their own. If you don't like Manowar, it's easy to jump on the hate bandwagon. Bottom line, people have been hating on this band for a lot longer than the current haters have been around.

As a long time fan, I was glad to see them again after so many years, and look forward to seeing them again in November.

I am glad i didn't go to the Chicago show. Where did they end up playing? And when I say I'm glad I didn't go, it's mainly because of the short setlist. 75 min for over $75 is kind of a rip.

I am glad i didn't go to the Chicago show. Where did they end up playing? And when I say I'm glad I didn't go, it's mainly because of the short setlist. 75 min for over $75 is kind of a rip.

It was moved a couple blocks north down Milwaukee Ave (at Kedzie) to the Logan Square Auditorium. Its basically a large room on the top floor of a city three flat. With moving the show there, the capacity went from 1600 to about 800 leaving 200 ticket holders denied at the door!!!

They ended up playing at the Logan Square Auditorium. Not the best place for a show but with the short amount of time to make it happen it was a great show. Joey just ranted for a short time and it was hilarious.

I was bummed over the short set list as well. Literally the lights came up and that was it.

Looks like the rant in Minnesota was much worse. The rant in Chicago i thought was amusing and it honestly wasn't that long. Maybe a song length at max.

To each their own. If you don't like Manowar, it's easy to jump on the hate bandwagon. Bottom line, people have been hating on this band for a lot longer than the current haters have been around.

As a long time fan, I was glad to see them again after so many years, and look forward to seeing them again in November.

I definitely don't *HATE* Manowar -- anyone who knows me or has seen the t-shirts I wear to ProgPower or came to my Wednesday Ross the Boss show in 2010 knows that I am a big fan of this band.

As I thought my review made it clear, I loved the first half of the show. I just wish this band really delivered the goods live. From everything I have read online, their European shows are generally amazing while their US shows on the whole usually leave fans scratching their heads. This should have been a premium show as the tickets were a premium price. It wasn't. Maybe someday US fans will get that, but we certainly did not get it this tour ...

What was the complete setlist?

They played Kings of Metal (sans Crown which was simply the recording to close out the show, and Pleasure Slave which is excluded from the re-recording) in its entirety in Chicago.

I noticed on the setlist that they played it all, but not in order. Strange that they decided to reorder the album. I still can't seem to find the complete settlist for the Minnesota show. It sounds like they started the show with the same setlist as in Chicago.

With all due respect to Swordlord, I was at the show and they played the Kings of Metal album (not only three songs); they didn't play them in the original order, though. I do agree, however, with the brevity of the show. Fourteen songs in 90 minutes (a padded 90 minutes at that) is simply not enough for the price these tickets are going. If you look at set lists from shows last year, they are consistently playing 20-22 songs a night. To come to their homeland and play a short set is simply ridiculous. And the less time Joey spends on the mic, I would agree is probably better for all (although, it didn't seem as bad to me as this review makes it out to be).

I have to say, this setlist does seem ridiculously short. Setlist.fm indicates that when they toured from late 2012 to early 2013 (mostly Europe, but also 3 US shows), their setlist was consistently 22 - 24 songs. This tour isn't coming to my area, but I doubt I'd go even if it did. I'd like to see them live at some point, but I wouldn't feel great about paying top dollar for an abbreviated set. Even if I never wind up getting a chance to see Manowar though, the Ross The Boss show that Nathan put together at the ProgPower preshow in 2010 was a great time, and many classic Manowar songs were played.

Sword, Joey does that because he can. Furthermore, he knows that you'll pay $75 for him to do it. Manowar should try to be like Steely Dan and just put out CD's and screw touring.