My review of MANOWAR in MN, 2/9/2014

Sword, Joey does that because he can. Furthermore, he knows that you'll pay $75 for him to do it. Manowar should try to be like Steely Dan and just put out CD's and screw touring.

Why would they stop touring when they can apparently command $75 per ticket and still draw decent-sized crowds?

Sword, Joey does that because he can. Furthermore, he knows that you'll pay $75 for him to do it. Manowar should try to be like Steely Dan and just put out CD's and screw touring.

What CDs are they going to put out? Are they going to rerecord the rest of their old albums? Two of their last three CDs have been rerecordings of old albums, and the one CD of new material was far from their best work, and they even released two different versions of that one. Honestly, I think Manowar is out of ideas for recording new material, but they still make a ton of money touring, especially in Europe. Oh, and Steely Dan tours the US every couple years, far more often than Manowar does.

What CDs are they going to put out? Are they going to rerecord the rest of their old albums? Two of their last three CDs have been rerecordings of old albums, and the one CD of new material was far from their best work, and they even released two different versions of that one. Honestly, I think Manowar is out of ideas for recording new material, but they still make a ton of money touring, especially in Europe. Oh, and Steely Dan tours the US every couple years, far more often than Manowar does.
I never knew Steely Dan toured. I was saying that if Manowar is coming with crappy live shows, and remembering that SwordLord is a PROMOTER and a FAN of Manowar, and he is saying that their live effort sucked, maybe it is either time to re-tool the live set or just stick to recording.

If anyone was wondering how many posts would it take, during a discussion of a Manowar show, until someone brought up Steely Dan, the answer is 20.

Excellent, I can cross that one off my list! Now I just need to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop!

Huh? Their live performances far outweigh their studio material nowadays. After the last album (especially the production) they should be banned from recording.

I never knew Steely Dan toured. I was saying that if Manowar is coming with crappy live shows, and remembering that SwordLord is a PROMOTER and a FAN of Manowar, and he is saying that their live effort sucked, maybe it is either time to re-tool the live set or just stick to recording.

Yeah but his review wasn't saying as a performance it sucked. He was saying that the audio was screwed up (which is the soundguys) and that they were cheap in doing a small set.

You especially look at their European shows and they are far from a bad live band.

The Manowar show doesn't surprise me, thanks for the review. My state (FL) has not been "blessed" with a date on this tour, not sure if I would pay $75 to see them anyway. I've seen them twice before and was underwhelmed both times. First time was in a club, we were just warm-up fodder for a European tour. Band played and then disappeared afterward onto the tour bus. Absolutely zero fan interaction. We hung around for quite a while to get an autograph, but it was definitely not going to happen. Second time was when they toured with Rhapsody, who of course stole the show from them. Fabio was cool enough to take photos and sign autographs before he was summoned by Demaio to the tour bus. I am still a fan however. I don't hate them for being who they are.

Btw, saw Steely Dan last year here in Orlando, my fourth time seeing them. Ticket was fourth row, cost $100 and was worth every fucking penny. Show sold out and they rewarded us with 4 extra songs beyond the setlist they had been playing on for that tour. The band is tight. Best show I saw all year.

I wonder if the venue bashing stems from touring the New York clubs in the early days. In the upcoming Twisted Sister documentary, they talk about how they would bash venues so bad that owners wanted to kill them after the shows but they felt the fans like it. Perhaps Joey is trying to be funny but I've never found him to be funny. Dee Snider tearing into someone while on stage on the other hand is freaking hilarious.

Not happy about the setlist being short especially given the price tag but it's still Manowar and I'll see them anytime I can.

Let's face it...the Manowar "schtick" works better in Europe than it does here. They can't get away with a lot of their antics in the US like they do in another countries. It doesn't come off well with American audiences. And that is why the band will never be bigger in this country.

Regardless, I am still a Manowar fan even though I am not happy with all of their antics.