My top picks of 2004... so far.

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
I hate trying to decide on shit like this, because it's rare that I'll purchase something and turn my nose up to it... much like the way I am with food! LOL!

so... here's my picks in no particlualr ranking order.

Asperity - The Final Demand

Brainstorm - Soul Temptation

Magnitude 9 - Decoding The Soul

Annihilator - All For You

Atrocity - Atlantis

Jaded Heart - Trust

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Hypocrisy - The Arrival

Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi

Prototype - Trinity (yeah, yeah... but MY version was released in 2004, when I bought it, so it stays!)

Threshold - Subsurface

Nocturnal Rites - NEw World Messiah

Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones

TNT- My Religion

Skyclad - A Semblance of Normality

Seventh Key - The Reigning Fire

Dio - Master of The Moon

Asia - Silent Nation

Cans - Beyond the Gates

I'm sure I've missed a few..... and I've still got a stack of unopened CD's released this year I've bought in the last 3-4 months, and have yet to get to them. I like to absorbe most albums, and take my time on them.

So what are all yours?

\m/
Dustin

Dustin said:
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Dio - Master of The Moon

I find these to be very mediocre/average...but tastes differ. :wave:

My personal faves of 2004:

DARK AGE - Dark Age (for my THE best album of 2004)

HYPOCRISY - The Arrival

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (this new album sounds more than ever "back to the roots")

CRADLE OF FILTH - Nymphetamine (although not as good as the last album, but nevertheless a very strong album)

ZILLION - Zillion (a refreshing good hardrock album)

PERZONAL WAR - Faces (the album Metallica should have released...)

CREMATORY - Revolution (yes, they are back!)

FEAR FACTORY - Archetype

SECRET DISCOVERY - Pray

MARILLION - Marbles (well...just not as good as I believed, but still a little better than average)

BlackChest said:
I find these to be very mediocre/average...but tastes differ. :wave:
...oh, the Iced Earth I can understand, but DIO? Avarage? LMAO! :tickled:

HYPOCRISY - The Arrival
Something that's on both our lists ;)

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (this new album sounds more than ever "back to the roots")
I love everything up to Joshua Tree, after that, I lost interest. If it sounds anything like their early "rock" albums, I'll have to check it out!

CRADLE OF FILTH - Nymphetamine (although not as good as the last album, but nevertheless a very strong album)
Still havn't purchased this one yet... but I wasn't too cray about the last one, I took far too long to get into for me, so this might be one tha 'll be low priority.

ZILLION - Zillion (a refreshing good hardrock album)
Really!? You never cease to suprise me Jens. :Spin:
I have been looking to buy this album for months, but it's hard to find over here in the states. If you like this one, Then I'm definately going to have to pick it up!

PERZONAL WAR - Faces (the album Metallica should have released...)
LMAO! :tickled: :D
Well, I don't have this one yet, but if it sounds anything like Diffrent but the same (which kicks serious ass!), then I'll agree! I've got this on my list to get real soon. I love this band, and they sound like what metallica would be today if they didn't sell-out. I totally agree.

CREMATORY - Revolution (yes, they are back!)
I don't own anything form these guys, but every song (and one music video) I've heard from them I have liked a lot... so I guess I'll start with this album!

FEAR FACTORY - Archetype
....is it really that good? the song they have a video for did nothing for me, but I have always liked this band. In fact, I thought Obsolete was brilliant, and I know many fans hate that album. Who would have thought there would be a Fear Factory without Dino? :D

MARILLION - Marbles (well...just not as good as I believed, but still a little better than average)
hmmm... the last Hogarth-era album I bought was This Strange Engine, and it was a huge disapointment. I guess I'll never get over hearing Marillion without Fish. Musiclly, would you say this one is worth getting, being that I haven't bought anything form them for over a decade? :cool: I actually have it on my wish list and am thinking about getting in in the next week.

A very good 2004 list Jens! :hotjump:

\m/
Dustin

I got three albums this year. Three. :erk:

The good news is two of them are absolutely fantastic (Nightwish's 'Once' and, of course, Katagory V's 'A New Breed Of Rebellion'). And the other one's good... just, IMO, not entirely great, although it has its moments (Iced Earth's 'The Glorious Burden').

I've not been hanging out with Dustin enough to pick up on more stuff, that's my problem! :tickled:

I guess 2005 will be a tremendous and awesome METAL year, 'cause I'm looking forward to the following new albums by RUNNING WILD, KATAGORY V :) , SOILWORK, PARADISE LOST, DARK TRANQUILLITY (although I own it already as a Promo I have pre-ordered the limited edition since a few weeks already) and the TRIBUTE TO RUNNING WILD and many more...

"U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" - I love everything up to Joshua Tree, after that, I lost interest. If it sounds anything like their early "rock" albums, I'll have to check it out!

It's definitely more rocking than the last few albums, but listen to it before buying. I always was kind of a U2 fan, but had lost my interest in them as well when they released their POP album...but the last was okay and this new one is ROCKING good again (IMO).

ZILLION - Zillion - Really!? You never cease to suprise me Jens.
I have been looking to buy this album for months, but it's hard to find over here in the states. If you like this one, Then I'm definately going to have to pick it up!

It's awesome, I like it. I liked the SUPARED album as well, which is kind of like this one here, just without Kiske's voice. The bass (played by Jens Becker) is very strong here!

PERZONAL WAR - Faces - Well, I don't have this one yet, but if it sounds anything like Diffrent but the same (which kicks serious ass!), then I'll agree! I've got this on my list to get real soon. I love this band, and they sound like what metallica would be today if they didn't sell-out. I totally agree.

Although I think the 2nd half of that album is a little boring it's still one kick-ass album. PERZONAL WAR is definitely a band I think they will become more famous soon.

CREMATORY - Revolution - I don't own anything form these guys, but every song (and one music video) I've heard from them I have liked a lot... so I guess I'll start with this album!

If you've never heard something from Crematory, DON'T start with this album, because they integrated lots of Techno-Stylish-Elements here (which fits perfectly) but it's a different kind of Crematory. Get their "Awake" or "Act Seven" album before.

FEAR FACTORY - Archetype - ....is it really that good? the song they have a video for did nothing for me, but I have always liked this band. In fact, I thought Obsolete was brilliant, and I know many fans hate that album. Who would have thought there would be a Fear Factory without Dino?

IT's still FEAR FACTORY and stronger than ever (IMHO). "Obsolete" wasn't as good as their masterpiece "Demanufacture" and "Archetype" can't reach it, too. Nevertheless, a piece of art worth buying and listening/headbanging to. :D

MARILLION - Marbles - hmmm... the last Hogarth-era album I bought was This Strange Engine, and it was a huge disapointment. I guess I'll never get over hearing Marillion without Fish. Musiclly, would you say this one is worth getting, being that I haven't bought anything form them for over a decade? I actually have it on my wish list and am thinking about getting in in the next week.

That's really difficult...if your last Hogarth-era album was "This Strange Engine", I can not recommend this one to start again or continue with. I always liked Marillion with and without Fish and I never miss a concert when they are touring Germany. Try instead "Anoraknophobia" or "Marillion.com", because both albums are very refreshing new with lots of different elements (Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Techno) but still are sound like Marillion. The new album is very quiet.

BlackChest said:
I guess 2005 will be a tremendous and awesome METAL year, 'cause I'm looking forward to the following new albums by RUNNING WILD, KATAGORY V :) , SOILWORK, PARADISE LOST, DARK TRANQUILLITY (although I own it already as a Promo I have pre-ordered the limited edition since a few weeks already) and the TRIBUTE TO RUNNING WILD and many more...
:kickass: :worship:

It's awesome, I like it. I liked the SUPARED album as well, which is kind of like this one here, just without Kiske's voice. The bass (played by Jens Becker) is very strong here!
wow, that's strange you brough up SUPARED.... I was looking to pick up that album, but can't seem to find a place that carries it. I love Kiskes voice, and I'm now accepting the fact that he's no goingt o be in any "hellloween-ish" type bands anyrime soon. :D so, same situtation with the ZILLION, I fogot that Mr. Becker is on that! I'll have to nab both of those.

Although I think the 2nd half of that album is a little boring it's still one kick-ass album. PERZONAL WAR is definitely a band I think they will become more famous soon.
I think they kick Metallica's ass up and down! :headbang: They are Germany's aswer to Metallica in fact!
We were listeing to the first album today... the guys I work with are insisting I buy the 2nd album now as well, which I already have on order. :cool:

That's really difficult...if your last Hogarth-era album was "This Strange Engine", I can not recommend this one to start again or continue with. I always liked Marillion with and without Fish and I never miss a concert when they are touring Germany. Try instead "Anoraknophobia" or "Marillion.com", because both albums are very refreshing new with lots of different elements (Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Techno) but still are sound like Marillion. The new album is very quiet.
hmmmm......I'll have to give it a shot. I was listening to "this strange Machine" yesterday while I was sick in bed, and it's fairly decent now that I listen to it, but still hard to swallow sometimea. But, I'm willing to give the Hogarth stuff another shot. I'll have to track down those other albums you mentiond first though. ;)

\m/
Dustin