New Dream Theater

MelbCro

Feb 25, 2011

Thoughts? I like it a lot but its hard to really judge it properly as its a concept album, the context is an important thing we just don't get from an isolated track like this. Still I'm glad that they are actually tackling a concept album, as they've really been playing it safe since they went to Roadrunner so I'm glad to see them do something ambitious.

I know the general vibe here is that people are too cool for school when it comes to Dream Theater, but I really like the new song. It has a nice Six Degrees disc 2 feel to it. I know the new concept seems pretty ambitious and likely full of some cheese, but I am down for it. Seems like they are trying something new which I like since they got in a bit of a rut near the end of the Portnoy era.

DREAM THEATER GUITARIST JOHN PETRUCCI TALKS NEW ALBUM - "IT COULD BE NOVELIZED, IT COULD BE A MOVIE, IT COULD BE A MUSICAL"

Go to this location for the complete interview.

"...Dream Theater have revealed the cover art and tracklisting for The Astonishing, expected to arrive early 2016. The band has also opened up a mini-site for the album as it looks to a concept as it introduces some “characters” in the album and will be presented in two acts and looks to be a double disc effort...
...The band comments on the artwork: “This album cover extends an ominous invitation into the retro-futurist dystopian setting of The Astonishing. The deceptively beautiful yet chillingly totalitarian image is a bold harbinger of the visual components and ideas presented by the sonic story that is our most ambitious creative work to date. We are very proud to soon bring you…The Astonishing.”

DreamTheaterTheAstonishing.jpg

Tracklisting:

Act I
“Descent Of The NOMACS”
“Dystopian Overture”
“The Gift Of Music”
“The Answer”
“A Better Life”
“Lord Nafaryus”
“A Savior In The Square”
“When Your Time Has Come”
“Act Of Faythe”
“Three Days”
“The Hovering Sojourn”
“Brother, Can You Hear Me?”
“A Life Left Behind”
“Ravenskill”
“Chosen”
“A Tempting Offer”
“Digital Discord”
“The X Aspect”
“A New Beginning”
“The Road To Revolution”

Act II
“2285 Entr’acte”
“Moment Of Betrayal”
“Heaven’s Cove”
“Begin Again”
“The Path That Divides”
“Machine Chatter”
“The Walking Shadow”
“My Last Farewell”
“Losing Faythe”
“Whispers In The Wind”
“Hymn Of A Thousand Voices”
“Power Down”
“Astonishing”

I am so fucking excited for this. I am definitely not too cool for DT. Only DT and Rush sell out stadiums and huge theaters in the US when it comes to prog.

I am so fucking excited for this. I am definitely not too cool for DT. Only DT and Rush sell out stadiums and huge theaters in the US when it comes to prog.

Every Dream Theater disc brings the same general response, and only after a few listens we are usually a little more sedate. By the time the disc has sold a few copies we will already be looking for the next great prog cd of the year.

I'm a bit meh on this particular song,but it in reality just 1 part. ..I'm assuming the music I will emjoy from this will be found all over the placedge in various places

Reactions: Aish!
Every Dream Theater disc brings the same general response, and only after a few listens we are usually a little more sedate. By the time the disc has sold a few copies we will already be looking for the next great prog cd of the year.

not me - I am a DT super fan and make no apologies. I have seen them 50+ times

HISTORIC NORTH AMERICAN HEADLINE TOUR

"...Roadrunner Records’ group Dream Theater has announced via a live Facebook broadcast today their first North American tour of 2016, which will see the pioneering group performing an historic set in immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience. Set to kick-off April 14th at Quebec City’s Theatre Du Capitole, the spring trek will see the prog-virtuosos delivering a one-of-a-kind show in which they will perform their forthcoming double concept album, The Astonishing, live in its entirety. The momentous tour will continue through May with the band making stops at prestigious theaters throughout North America including New York’s Radio City Music Hall, Los Angeles’ The Wiltern, and Boston’s Orpheum Theatre with additional dates to be announced (see attached itinerary). Pre-sale tickets and VIP packages for the North American dates go on sale this Friday, December 18th at 10am local right HERE, with general on sale starting Tuesday, December 22nd. For up-to-the-minute news and ticket information please visit http://bit.ly/dt2016US..."

APRIL
14 Quebec City, QC Theatre du Capitole
15 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
16 Toronto, ON Sony Centre
18 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
19 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre
20 Hartford, CT Oakdale Theatre
23 New York, NY Radio City Music Hall
24 Baltimore, MD Hippodrome Theatre
26 Greensburg, PA Palace Theater
27 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theatre
30 Chicago, IL Chicago Theater

MAY
1 Minneapolis, MN State Theater
3 Denver, CO Paramount Theatre
7 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
10 Portland, OR Schnitzer

Last edited:
not me - I am a DT super fan and make no apologies. I have seen them 50+ times
Not sure if you misunderstood my meaning. I wasn't criticizing the new Dream Theater. I was saying, after a few listens we are not as rabid for DT as we were before the disc came out. We are pacified and start looking for something new that will create the same kind of response that new DT does. That doesn't mean anything more than...here's the new Dream Theater cd....Is there anything that can match it?

I read your response the opposite way you intended. It seemed to imply that recent DT releases lacked the ability to stay in your mind and so you wandered away quickly.

Reactions: Kez
As a fan of Dream Theater I am refusing to listen to any of the new stuff until the album is released. I want to experience the journey as a complete listen. There is no doubt that this album will take multiple listens to absorb what DT has created. Fingers are crossed....

Reactions: Bamafan
Looking forward to this and the upcoming live show. The only thing that is kind of bothering me is Mangini's playing... He needs to breathe more and have some feeling. It honestly sounds like a drum machine... But I am sure I will get past it once I hear the album.

Looking forward to this and the upcoming live show. The only thing that is kind of bothering me is Mangini's playing... He needs to breathe more and have some feeling. It honestly sounds like a drum machine... But I am sure I will get past it once I hear the album.

Well that's why they hired him, they wanted someone safe. If they were interested in something more creative and exciting they would have gone with Minnemann or Donati. Looking back now to me its pretty clear they made the wrong choice.

Well that's why they hired him, they wanted someone safe. If they were interested in something more creative and exciting they would have gone with Minnemann or Donati. Looking back now to me it's pretty clear they made the wrong choice.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with you on this... Just in listening to "The Gift of Music", I can just hear where Portnoy's fills would go, and it doesn't happen... I also miss all the updates and extras, he did for the fans...

Mangini certainly has the creativity and chops. I feel like the band is holding him back. Like Petrucci programs a drum machine for the demo and tells Mike "just play this." I don't know that I'd say I miss Portnoy. He'd become stale and predictable. And I was so sick of him feeling like he needed to sing on every damn song. Plus his unhappiness was actually starting to show. He needed the break.

All this being said, I can't wait to hear the new album. The last couple didn't disappoint, so I am hoping that streak continues.