New Kamelot - Silverthorn

Fingers crossed for possible early purchase at PP!!! Can't wait for this.
I would be very pleasantly surprised...six weeks before the street date is a pretty long time. Redemption's "This Mortal Coil" came out 10 days after last year's fest and InsideOut/Century didn't break street date, and that would've been hundreds of guaranteed sales to their core fanbase.

I wouldn't pretend to know the exact marketing strategies that Kamelot and Steamhammer/SPV have in place, but selling it at PPUSA would almost guarantee an online leak*. Yes, it will leak anyway eventually, but - and this is a genuine question, I don't bother downloading leaked albums or paying attention to them - do most albums leak that long before street date? Also worth considering is that the original release date was going to be September, but they pushed it back to October. Whatever the reason for the delay, it was an intentional decision that they likely didn't take lightly.

* That's not a knock on Glenn, the fest, or the vast majority of attendees, but much like bootleg videotaping, all it takes is one asshole.

do most albums leak that long before street date?

Most labels nowadays do digital promos via different online services, and the files are watermarked so it has really been a great way to stop albums leaking that early. In the past most labels would send physical CD's usually in slipcase cardboard sleeves and that's why the albums would leak so early as these "press" people would rip the discs, and toss it online.

I would be very pleasantly surprised...six weeks before the street date is a pretty long time. Redemption's "This Mortal Coil" came out 10 days after last year's fest and InsideOut/Century didn't break street date, and that would've been hundreds of guaranteed sales to their core fanbase.

I wouldn't pretend to know the exact marketing strategies that Kamelot and Steamhammer/SPV have in place, but selling it at PPUSA would almost guarantee an online leak*. Yes, it will leak anyway eventually, but - and this is a genuine question, I don't bother downloading leaked albums or paying attention to them - do most albums leak that long before street date? Also worth considering is that the original release date was going to be September, but they pushed it back to October. Whatever the reason for the delay, it was an intentional decision that they likely didn't take lightly.

* That's not a knock on Glenn, the fest, or the vast majority of attendees, but much like bootleg videotaping, all it takes is one asshole.

It would be tough to generalize when "most" albums leak... it really depends on the specifics of that band / album / label, etc. Kamelot is high-profile enough that an October release means some chance of a rip floating around online sometime in September. Those who want to download it will find it if it is available... those who aren't interested won't download it even if it is. Fear of someone ripping and uploading it is probably not a logical reason to forgo the hundreds of copies they would sell at ProgPower.

Of course, it's also possible that the album simply won't be ready until October, in which case it wouldn't be physically possible to sell it in September anyway. Then again, who knows... While This Mortal Coil wasn't available 10 days before street date at the fest in 2011, Snowfall On Judgment Day was sold at the The Laser's Edge table 1 month before street date in 2009. Also, at ProgPower III in November 2002, The End had Nightingale - Alive Again available at their table, even though the street date wasn't until February 2003.

Kamelot is high-profile enough that an October release means some chance of a rip floating around online sometime in September.

SPV (Kamelots label) is really good at keeping things under wraps when it comes to promos. They did an excellent job with Malice, Lita Ford, Axel Rudi Pell, (even Pagan's Mind last year), and many others. As I stated above they use a pretty good online digital promo outlet which uses watermarked files. Its been pretty successful so far.

I'd be curious to learn how long it takes a singer like Tommy to learn an entire set's worth of material.

It seems like some musicians can learn their parts incredibly fast. I'm guessing maybe new vocalists may have a more difficult job than other band members, because they have to learn lyrics in addition to a melody (and some vocalists play an instrument too). However, there have been tours where a band member has a sudden emergency on tour, and they've been able to bring in someone else with seemingly only a couple days notice. I saw a show a few months ago where the vocalist / bassist of one of the opening bands got sick after the previous gig (or something), so the band's manager learned the bass and vocal parts in the tour van in a matter of hours while riding to the gig and was ready by the time the band went on stage. Although in this case, he was their longtime friend / manager, so I'm guessing he already had some familiarity with the material.

I think there are those examples where the new band members if a friend, fan, roadie, who already has a significant familiarity with the music and can build upon that rapidly. However, for a vocalist to learn twenty songs worth of lyrics? That seems like it would take a lot.

True... but I guess with Kamelot, Tommy Karevik had been in the band for at least a few weeks by the time the announcement was made public, so he had some extra time to learn the songs. It's still impressive even with a few weeks, though.

There was also the Anthrax / Testament tour earlier this year, where Charlie Benante had to leave abruptly mid-tour due to a family member being hospitalized, and Gene Hoglan stepped in and played drums for Anthrax the next day. Of course, there were no lyrics involved there, and also, you know, it's fucking Gene Hoglan, heh.

I'd be curious to learn how long it takes a singer like Tommy to learn an entire set's worth of material.

In case you haven't already seen it, here's an interview in which he skirts that subject:

Kamelot didn’t have a singer for nearly two years and during that time a lot of things were unsure. But it also meant that I had time to think things through in case I was asked. With that said, it’s impossible to be fully prepared for the roller coaster ride that was set in motion once my name became official.

~Jen

In case you haven't already seen it, here's an interview in which he skirts that subject:

Kamelot didn’t have a singer for nearly two years and during that time a lot of things were unsure. But it also meant that I had time to think things through in case I was asked. With that said, it’s impossible to be fully prepared for the roller coaster ride that was set in motion once my name became official.
Thanks Jen.

The speed with which my wife continues to respond to all things Tommy just *baffles* the mind...
Baffles you or worries you? :loco:

My wife would likely respond to Russel Allen queries with the same frenetic pace.

What do you guys thinks about the 2 album covers and about the album being a concept album? Seems there are a lot of concept albums coming out these days. I personally think this will be the best selling Kamelot album ever. I know there are a lot of loyal Khan fans out there but IMO you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until Tommy gets "broke in" with Kamelot and be prepared for goosebump overload. DANG THAT GUY CAN FRICKIN' SING!!!!!!

Kamelot France published an excellent interview today with Thomas.

The interview also includes a behind the scenes look into the Sacrimony video shoot (with an acoustic teaser at the end!)

Last edited by a moderator: