New Kamelot - Silverthorn

KAMELOT have launched an official web page dedicated solely to their new album, Silverthorn, due out on October 30th in North America, October 26th in Germany and October 29th in the rest of Europe via Steamhammer/SPV. It will receive its Japanese release October 24th via King Records.

The page features an album biography including production notes, tour dates and international pre-order links. Go to this location to check it out.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited for this album. Sounds really good actually. I have a feeling Tommy has re-energized the band, and I really hope we get to see a headline tour in the states sooner rather than later.

Check out Matt's review for The Metal Pit:

I’m sure that 90% of the reviews for the latest opus from Kamelot are going to focus on comparing new singer Tommy Karevik with the band’s former iconic vocalist Roy Khan (who left the band in 2010). After several listens to “Silverthorn, I can assure longtime Kamelot fans of two things. 1.) “Silverthorn” is the best Kamelot album since The Black Halo. It has a “brighter”sound with less gloom than “Poetry” and “Ghost Opera” and 2.) Tommy Karevik is a more than worthy successor to Khan. Of course being a fan of Karevik’s work with Swedish prog masters Seventh Wonder, I am more than familiar with Tommy’s style and vocal delivery. In fact, not only does Tommy meet my expectations on “Silverthorn”, he surpasses them. There are definite similarities between Tommy and Khan, most notably in their lower register deliveries. However, Karevik has a much stronger upper range in my opinion. Tommy doesn’t just fill the empty space left by Khan. He makes the role of Kamelot frontman his own and shines doing it.

After the short piano infused symphonic intro of “Manus Dei”, Kamelot shows they are firing on all cylinders with the soaring and uplifting “Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)”. This song was the perfect choice for the first single/video. Tommy definitely channels the “Ghost”(Opera??) of Khan with the first verse, but takes command during the anthemic chorus also featuring the talents of Amaranthe singer Elize Ryd with melodic vocals and Alissa White-Gluz of The Agonist providing the death growls. “Ashes to Ashes” has a more progressive metal feel to it with some impressive drum patterns from Casey Grillo and a very memorable chorus and Thomas Youngblood and Oliver Palotai engage in a intense guitar/keyboard solo battle. The next couple of songs bring out Karevik’s unique Seventh Wonder vocal style that I love so much. The progressive symphonic majesty of “Torn” has an intense verse and soaring and uplifting chorus. Then, in this reviewers estimation, the “crown jewel” of “Silverthorn”, the melancholy piano ballad “Song for Jolee” gives me chills each time I listen to it. A masterpiece of a song that brings memories of Karevik’s emotional “Tears of a Father” on Seventh Wonder’s Mercy Falls album. If you had one shred of doubt about whether Tommy karevik was the right choice for Kamelot, this song is guaranteed to erase all doubt!

“Veritas” has a “March of Mephisto” power metal feel to it with Tommy singing with intensity and a symphonic vocal chant during the chorus to give it a gothic metal feel. Elize returns to add her sweet melodies to the middle section of the song. The gothic metal of “My Confession” shows Tommy’s multi-faceted style, going from lower register to mid range and showing more versatility than his predecessor has on the last few Kamelot releases. The title track is a cinematic wonder with a driving drumbeat from Grillo, great metallic riffs from Youngblood and great vocals from Karevik. “Falling Like Farenheit” will get your head bobbing in rhythm as the song locks into a mid-tempo groove and another passionate vocal performance. Seeing a pattern here? The power metal with a gothic flair returns on “Solitaire” a fast paced and headbanging tune. The most progressive song on the album is the almost 9 minute “Prodigal Son” beginning with it’s mournful acoustic guitar intro and a few fantastically sweeping melodic solos from Youngblood, transforming into a symphonic mid tempo groove. The song changes tempos and moods telling a story all on it’s own. The crescendo of the song features a great harmony vocal from Karevik and company and ends with a furious drum rhythm. The album closes with the angelic vocals of Elize Ryd and a vocal chorus ending the album on an uplifting note. With “Silverthorn”, Kamelot has created a masterpiece that will not only silence the “Khan fanboys” but it will also propel them to the next level in the world of metal. Well done gentlemen, very well done!

Rating: 9.5

Here is another strong review from Dangerdog http://www.dangerdog.com/2012-music-reviews/kamelot-silverthorn.php#.UIFx1mmNNkI

5.0/5.0

Losing a talented, respected, and loved band member can provide unsettling results or grand opportunities for the future. Many thought Dream Theater would stumble when Mike Portnoy departed. Instead they persevered and released another excellent album. Kamelot lost Roy Kahn last year, but speculation to their undoing was largely unwarranted. They return with Seventh Wonder vocalist Tommy Karevik, and their tenth album, Silverthorn.

Karevik brings the same passionate, perhaps a bit more melodic, vocal style that his predecessor had; so the transition is seamless. Kamelot, of course, brings their ambitious and epic melodic progressive power metal once more.
Silverthorn, like most Kamelot albums, is based on a concept. Main composer Thomas Youngblood describes the story: “It’s the story of a young girl who dies in the arms of her two twin brothers, taking the three siblings’ big secret to her grave. The songs on Silverthorn talk about despair, a sense of guilt and the pursuit of truth ..."

Concerning the music within, without using the words predictable or typical, which would be somewhere between trite and demeaning, Silverthorn is pure Kamelot. Songs like Ashes to Ashes, Sacrimony, and Falling Like the Fahrenheit display their effortless skill in merging heavy metal with power and prog metal. Then with that latter song making it grand and cinematic with the symphonic wrapper. Then this orchestration forms the singular core of the emotional anthem, Song for Jolee, one of the best songs to display Karevik's vocals. Another is the three part Prodigal Son at the end of the album, where his early vocals are simply haunting. Then after a fiery guitar solo erupts, Karevik returns and vocals are nearly spellbinding, sending chills down your spine. Believe me when I say, and I was a huge Roy Kahn fan, Tommy Karevik is the right man for the microphone.

With new vocalist Tommy Karevik, Kamelot unleashes another epic, compelling and entertaining album of melodic progressive power metal in Silverthorn. Strongly recommended

Check out Matt's review for The Metal Pit:

I’m sure that 90% of the reviews for the latest opus from Kamelot are going to focus on comparing new singer Tommy Karevik with the band’s former iconic vocalist Roy Khan (who left the band in 2010). After several listens to “Silverthorn, I can assure longtime Kamelot fans of two things. 1.) “Silverthorn” is the best Kamelot album since The Black Halo. It has a “brighter”sound with less gloom than “Poetry” and “Ghost Opera” and 2.) Tommy Karevik is a more than worthy successor to Khan. Of course being a fan of Karevik’s work with Swedish prog masters Seventh Wonder, I am more than familiar with Tommy’s style and vocal delivery. In fact, not only does Tommy meet my expectations on “Silverthorn”, he surpasses them. There are definite similarities between Tommy and Khan, most notably in their lower register deliveries. However, Karevik has a much stronger upper range in my opinion. Tommy doesn’t just fill the empty space left by Khan. He makes the role of Kamelot frontman his own and shines doing it.

After the short piano infused symphonic intro of “Manus Dei”, Kamelot shows they are firing on all cylinders with the soaring and uplifting “Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)”. This song was the perfect choice for the first single/video. Tommy definitely channels the “Ghost”(Opera??) of Khan with the first verse, but takes command during the anthemic chorus also featuring the talents of Amaranthe singer Elize Ryd with melodic vocals and Alissa White-Gluz of The Agonist providing the death growls. “Ashes to Ashes” has a more progressive metal feel to it with some impressive drum patterns from Casey Grillo and a very memorable chorus and Thomas Youngblood and Oliver Palotai engage in a intense guitar/keyboard solo battle. The next couple of songs bring out Karevik’s unique Seventh Wonder vocal style that I love so much. The progressive symphonic majesty of “Torn” has an intense verse and soaring and uplifting chorus. Then, in this reviewers estimation, the “crown jewel” of “Silverthorn”, the melancholy piano ballad “Song for Jolee” gives me chills each time I listen to it. A masterpiece of a song that brings memories of Karevik’s emotional “Tears of a Father” on Seventh Wonder’s Mercy Falls album. If you had one shred of doubt about whether Tommy karevik was the right choice for Kamelot, this song is guaranteed to erase all doubt!

“Veritas” has a “March of Mephisto” power metal feel to it with Tommy singing with intensity and a symphonic vocal chant during the chorus to give it a gothic metal feel. Elize returns to add her sweet melodies to the middle section of the song. The gothic metal of “My Confession” shows Tommy’s multi-faceted style, going from lower register to mid range and showing more versatility than his predecessor has on the last few Kamelot releases. The title track is a cinematic wonder with a driving drumbeat from Grillo, great metallic riffs from Youngblood and great vocals from Karevik. “Falling Like Farenheit” will get your head bobbing in rhythm as the song locks into a mid-tempo groove and another passionate vocal performance. Seeing a pattern here? The power metal with a gothic flair returns on “Solitaire” a fast paced and headbanging tune. The most progressive song on the album is the almost 9 minute “Prodigal Son” beginning with it’s mournful acoustic guitar intro and a few fantastically sweeping melodic solos from Youngblood, transforming into a symphonic mid tempo groove. The song changes tempos and moods telling a story all on it’s own. The crescendo of the song features a great harmony vocal from Karevik and company and ends with a furious drum rhythm. The album closes with the angelic vocals of Elize Ryd and a vocal chorus ending the album on an uplifting note. With “Silverthorn”, Kamelot has created a masterpiece that will not only silence the “Khan fanboys” but it will also propel them to the next level in the world of metal. Well done gentlemen, very well done!

Rating: 9.5

Awwwww thanks for sharing Jen! :worship: It really is an amazing album! Tommy fits the band like a glove!

teaser for KAMELOT's new video for Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife) debuting Monday Oct 22nd

~Jen

Last edited by a moderator: