New Kamelot - Silverthorn

I received my copy on Sat. I gotta say, for only a few bucks more, the Deluxe Box version of the release is pretty awesome. Not only do they give you a bonus instrumental cd, you get the album in a book version, and additional book with the story of Silverthorn, and a poster. You definately get your money work. I think the cd will take a few spins to sink in, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

I received my copy on Sat.
Same here, although I had it delivered to my office so it was sitting here when I came in this morning.

I gotta say, for only a few bucks more, the Deluxe Box version of the release is pretty awesome. Not only do they give you a bonus instrumental cd, you get the album in a book version, and additional book with the story of Silverthorn, and a poster. You definately get your money work.
The packaging is very nice, although it's a bit funny that they went to the expense of doing hard binding for both the CD and the book with the story behind the album, and then slipped the bonus CD into a cardboard sleeve. Not a complaint, but a bit of a juxtaposition considering how nice the rest of the packaging is. As you said though, it's very much worth the extra few dollars.

I think the cd will take a few spins to sink in, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.
On first spin, I was a bit underwhelmed with the composition side of things. Tommy sounds fantastic and the album is by no means bad, but it seemed to be lacking in memorable songs. I'm hoping that with continued listens, it will grow on me.

Here is my review on the new Kamelot.
The Good.
-Great vocals
-Interesting concept
-flows nicely
-great dynamics
The Bad:
-The production on the guitars are thin and weak at times (im peresonally not a fan of the producer)
-The lyrics can be abit over the top and odd at times
-Tommy's voice wasnt used to his full potencial
- I think the last track could've used some vocals or at least be 2 mins shorter, because the dead air in the track is dumb.

favourite songs: Ashes to Ashes, Prodigal's Son,
Least favourite: Continuum, Sacrimony
Id give it a 8/10.

The Good.
-Great vocals
-Interesting concept
-flows nicely
-great dynamics
The Bad:
-The production on the guitars are thin and weak at times (im peresonally not a fan of the producer)
-The lyrics can be abit over the top and odd at times
-Tommy's voice wasnt used to his full potencial
- I think the last track could've used some vocals or at least be 2 mins shorter, because the dead air in the track is dumb.

favourite songs: Ashes to Ashes, Prodigal's Son,
Least favourite: Continuum, Sacrimony
Id give it a 8/10.

I have to pretty much agree with you. I have listened to the album 4 times now since getting it last night (I work from home).

My biggest complaint is how hollow some of the songs sound. This complaint is more focused on the guitars and not Tommy's voice. Edit: I'm enjoying the album much better on my headphones in the library. Going to turn up my sub at home.

That said, the songs in the middle and end of the album are fantastic. "Song for Jolee," "Veritas," "My Confession," and "Falling like the Fahrenheit" are my standouts.

In all, and because of those four songs, I'm giving it a 8/10. I'm a tad underwhelmed, but at the same time, excited for what the future of Kamelot may hold.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the "thank you" to Tore Ostby in the booklet? Any details on this? I was primarily looking to see if there was any shout out to Roy, didn't see one.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the "thank you" to Tore Ostby in the booklet? Any details on this? I was primarily looking to see if there was any shout out to Roy, didn't see one.

Why would you expect them to send a shout out to a guy that screwed them over and cost the band a shitload of money because of a canceled tour?

Why would you expect them to send a shout out to a guy that screwed them over and cost the band a shitload of money because of a canceled tour?

D'oh. Good point -- I completely forgot about the tour aspect..

Afterwards, I always took it as a somewhat amiable parting after the whole "health concerns" aspect.

I must be very wrong. Case closed on Khan.

D'oh. Good point -- I completely forgot about the tour aspect..

Afterwards, I always took it as a somewhat amiable parting after the whole "health concerns" aspect.

I must be very wrong. Case closed on Khan.

Yeah man, it went beyond the health concerns... And I'm not sure it was that amicable...

Umm..yeah... And my question stands.

Ok, I figured they would at least acknowledge a guy that contributed to every album up to that point, He basically WAS an original member from pretty much the beginning. The same reason anyone would look for a Khan acknowledgement in Silverthorn, I thought the same of Poetry for the Poisoned as far as Glenn Barry goes. Bands thank former members all the time in the next album, especially long standing members of great significance. I'm sure they have reasons for not doing so, I'm not judging them either way for not mentioning them. I wasn't expecting to see and thank you to Glenn in Silverthorn.

Ok, I figured they would at least acknowledge a guy that contributed to every album up to that point, He basically WAS an original member from pretty much the beginning. The same reason anyone would look for a Khan acknowledgement in Silverthorn, I thought the same of Poetry for the Poisoned as far as Glenn Barry goes. Bands thank former members all the time in the next album, especially long standing members of great significance. I'm sure they have reasons for not doing so, I'm not judging them either way for not mentioning them. I wasn't expecting to see and thank you to Glenn in Silverthorn.

Would you expect Queensryche to thank Chris DeGarmo (not to mention Tate! :loco:) when they release their next album? He was an integral part of the band, but no, you wouldn't expect a "thank you" in the liner notes because DeGarmo was in the past, the liner notes are generally for thanking people involved in recording and promoting the band in it's current form. I would have been surprised to see Glenn Barry thanked in Poetry.

Would you expect Queensryche to thank Chris DeGarmo (not to mention Tate! :loco:) when they release their next album? He was an integral part of the band, but no, you wouldn't expect a "thank you" in the liner notes because DeGarmo was in the past, the liner notes are generally for thanking people involved in recording and promoting the band in it's current form. I would be surprised to see Glenn barry thanked in Silverthorn.

All things aren't created equal, I don't always fully expect every band to thank all of their former members for past contributions. But with that being said, past members may not partake in the current recording, but they do have a lot to do with where said band is as far as success at the moment. Usually when you see a long time member split from a band, as long as it's not bitter, it's common to see something like "Thank to Roy S. Khan for all the great years, we wouldn't be where we are with out you" or something to that affect. Like I said, I'm not judging.

"I would be surprised to see Glenn barry thanked in Silverthorn."

Yeah, so would I.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Helloween acknowledge departed band members in any of their liner notes (with the exception on Ingo of course) and they've had many important members leave throughout the years. I just don't think it's customary.