New Kamelot - Silverthorn

So you rank it fourth, behind two albums that also lacked on the "Power Metal-esque songs", but don't consider The Fourth Legacy, Karma and Epica some of their best material, when they're full of these "power metal" songs? That doesn't make sense...

Probably should've explained it better.

I'm not calling the three albums I ranked it behind "power metal albums", but I thought they had more of those elements than Silverthorn did. I'm not saying I wanted Silverthorn to be a power metal album, but the two "pm" songs on that album were at the beginning and towards the end. As I was listening through it, I thought a pm-esque song in the middle would've helped it flow a bit better.

I think some of their older albums have great songs but as complete pieces of work I enjoy their four newest albums more than their older material.

:fu: trying my friend!!! Due to a medical condition, I haven't been able to drive since July and I won't be behind the wheel again until the end of December! Trust me it sucks! I'm going stir crazy! o_O

I had no idea bro. I hope everything is ok and that you feel better soon. We'll be waiting. :)

One observation I've made is Thomas Youngblood has stepped up as far as his guitar solo compositions go. He's always been good, but I feel his solos have been more interesting lately. Unless Sasha Paeth has something to do with that, the credits aren't ver specific about his contributions.

I'm not calling the three albums I ranked it behind "power metal albums", but I thought they had more of those elements than Silverthorn did. I'm not saying I wanted Silverthorn to be a power metal album, but the two "pm" songs on that album were at the beginning and towards the end. As I was listening through it, I thought a pm-esque song in the middle would've helped it flow a bit better.

I think some of their older albums have great songs but as complete pieces of work I enjoy their four newest albums more than their older material.

I agree, this album could have use one more PM song. But I also think this album is leaps and bounds better than Ghost Opera as a complete piece of work. Poetry, is a great album but I skip a lot if the middle tracks on that one. IMO, nothing touches their 1999-2005 period. Everything before The Fourth Legacy was a dud.... IMO.

I just got my copy yesterday, and am digging the album so far. I'd say it's as good as the last two at least. There are some songs midway through that kind of fade into the background, but there are some strong songs too. Tommy seems like a good fit, but I'd like to hear him when he's not trying so hard to match Khan's style. Honestly, he's got more range and emotion; it's a shame to hold him back.

I give them major props for the presentation of the box set version too. It really is a Deluxe Edition.

I just got my copy yesterday, and am digging the album so far. I'd say it's as good as the last two at least. There are some songs midway through that kind of fade into the background, but there are some strong songs too. Tommy seems like a good fit, but I'd like to hear him when he's not trying so hard to match Khan's style. Honestly, he's got more range and emotion; it's a shame to hold him back.

I give them major props for the presentation of the box set version too. It really is a Deluxe Edition.

To me, Song For Jolee sounds like they said, "Hey Tommy, do your thing on this one". He has a very distinct/unique voice (duh) in general which is awesome.

I think that with this album though, they had to be careful to let him go too far with his own thing else it wouldn't have made a good transition for the "casual" fans who were Khan fanboys/girls. Plus I don't know if his wordy style with the Seventh Wonder stuff (which I love with them) would work fully with Kamelot's stuff. I'll be interested to hear the next album (yes, already!) to see how his voice evolves at that point.

So far loving this one!

Everything before The Fourth Legacy was a dud.... IMO.

Haha agreed. I have no interest in anything pre-Khan. Heard a few songs with Vanderbilt and am content to never hear them again. Seige Perilous wasn't any good? I haven't heard anything off it yet but from what I hear Kamelot started sounding like Kamelot on The Fourth Legacy, so I might just skip SP.

Haha agreed. I have no interest in anything pre-Khan. Heard a few songs with Vanderbilt and am content to never hear them again. Seige Perilous wasn't any good? I haven't heard anything off it yet but from what I hear Kamelot started sounding like Kamelot on The Fourth Legacy, so I might just skip SP.

I liked Siege Perilous. It's not a classic by any means, but it's worth getting if you like the Khan stuff.

It's worth getting for collection reasons, but nothing on it has ever caught my ear. 95% of it was written before Khan joined. The production is terrible compared to T4L. You can't even hear Khan the way you'd like to.

One observation I've made is Thomas Youngblood has stepped up as far as his guitar solo compositions go. He's always been good, but I feel his solos have been more interesting lately.

I think he's *always* been stellar and has written incredible solos throughout the history of the band....that guitar solo break in "I Love You to Death" brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear it. I've always maintained that Youngblood is one of the most underrated guitarists in metal, and he always brings it live, too.

Hey Ghost see ya here talkin about it like over in that other place :) I echo the Album of the year statements. I was a doubter of Kamelots' future after Roy left.Tommy makes that go away though seeing he does a great Roy but also adds his own elements and is a great front man. I like this album almost as much as The Black Halo. I am actually glad they dont do much of the power metal stuff, as they have evolved Into their own sound. Youngblood has definitely stepped up his guitar tone anyway it has so much balls on this one!

Hey Ghost see ya here talkin about it like over in that other place :) I echo the Album of the year statements. I was a doubter of Kamelots' future after Roy left.Tommy makes that go away though seeing he does a great Roy but also adds his own elements and is a great front man. I like this album almost as much as The Black Halo. I am actually glad they dont do much of the power metal stuff, as they have evolved Into their own sound. Youngblood has definitely stepped up his guitar tone anyway it has so much balls on this one!

Haha.. Hey Moonchild, MP Forum Represent! I agree with your opinions about the Tommy And Roy comparisons. On first listen he sounds a lot like Roy, but as you become more familiar with the album, more and more of Tommy shines through. I think he needs to sound like Roy somewhat, just because it's a huge part Kamelot's sound. I also don't want Tommy's Seventh Wonder singing style with Kamleot, I'm not a huge fan of the way he sings with SW (too wordy), but I like the way he's sounding with these guys.

I just wanted to mention, that I do think My Confession has a classic mid pace power metal vibe to it, and it could have been on any of their albums starting with Karma.

Also I dont think the Tone is paper thin at all, I think his guitar growls on this one, but production is always in the eye of the beholder (see the last dream theater album) unless its blatantly bad like st anger or vapor trails.