New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

I have to side with O.O here. There isn't nearly as much of angry Russ in that tune.

That has me pumped for the rest of the disc.

This was a pleasant surprise, although when the song led off with A.R. (angry Russ) tones, I was thinking, "Here we go again..."

But, nice cleaner vocal tones on the chorus, and the guitar work definitely had a very classic SX vibe. Now I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

There is enough variation and less angry Russ to make my ears happy...

I might have to invest in a copy after all...

The guitar work throughout is just godly. Russ sounds great. I agree with SEK, I'd love to hear more from Pinella. The chorus doesn't have the huge hook SX usually delivers. Maybe it's grower? Still, it's good to hear them pay tribute to the greatest band ever.

Iconoclast made me love this band instead of just taking or leaving them. Actually, Iconoclast is a desert island album for me. Angry Russ rules and it was fast, heavy, and dark. Everything I love about metal. Nevermore doesn't have the anthemic choruses of Iconoclast, but it is just the first released tune. I love the speed and heaviness of the new song, but I want Angry Russ all the time. Iconoclast will never be topped.

I cannot think of another situation that comes close to the line draw in the sand by the two types of SX fans. The older, prog folk want the clean vox of yesterday before they became truly popular. The newer, power-oriented crowd that pushed them into the spotlight want the angry vox.

That this is even a debate is a testament to the crossover popularity of the band....and just how damn awesome they are.

I cannot think of another situation that comes close to the line draw in the sand by the two types of SX fans. The older, prog folk want the clean vox of yesterday before they became truly popular. The newer, power-oriented crowd that pushed them into the spotlight want the angry vox.

That this is even a debate is a testament to the crossover popularity of the band....and just how damn awesome they are.

They are an upper echelon band, no doubt.

The riffage reminds me of something Protest the Hero would do, except Michael Romeo is probably a million times the guitarist either of those guys are. Badass.

I'll take any flavor of SX, but you're right. I would definitely enjoy them re-recording A Lesson Before Dying, though. That song needs the shine of Russ and good production values.

The riffage reminds me of something Protest the Hero would do, except Michael Romeo is probably a million times the guitarist either of those guys are.

Oh I dunno about all that. Not taking anything away from Romeo at all, as he is one of my favorite guitarists. But Hoskin and Millar are both held in pretty high regard by the shred guitar crowd. Both are phenomenal guitarists in their own right. Once you reach that level of playing, it's like comparing fine chocolate. All of them are great...it's just a matter of personal taste.

I guess I did get into the band a little later than some. The Odyssey was the first SX album I ever heard, and that was already well on its way to Angry Russ territory. Then Paradise Lost hit and I'm like "FUCK YEAH! THIS DUDE RULES!"

I guess I did get into the band a little later than some. The Odyssey was the first SX album I ever heard, and that was already well on its way to Angry Russ territory. Then Paradise Lost hit and I'm like "FUCK YEAH! THIS DUDE RULES!"

I got into them right before The Odyssey dropped, so I too kind of fell into the "angry" Russ vibe first, but let's be real - it's a fucking insane criticism from "fans" of the band. Symphony X was never Yes or Porcupine Tree. They always played metal, always relied on being very very heavy. He's not doing screaming vocals any more than Dio or David Lee Roth would during their heaviest stuff. It's not some huge colossal change in the band's sound. People need to untuck their King Crimson shirts from their belts and get a grip.

I got into them right before The Odyssey dropped, so I too kind of fell into the "angry" Russ vibe first, but let's be real - it's a fucking insane criticism from "fans" of the band. Symphony X was never Yes or Porcupine Tree. They always played metal, always relied on being very very heavy. He's not doing screaming vocals any more than Dio or David Lee Roth would during their heaviest stuff. It's not some huge colossal change in the band's sound. People need to untuck their King Crimson shirts from their belts and get a grip.

Well, to my ears, Dio never sang as aggressively as Russell did on Iconoclast or Paradise Lost. And on older SymX albums, the vocal aggressivity was sparse and so much more effective IMO.
I feel like this about the King Diamond falsetto (and I'm not comparing the quality of the singers, I enjoy King, but Russell is a far superior vocalist). The falsetto is good for me on the early Mercyful Fate stuff, but can get tiresome when it's there almost all the time (like on some King Diamond stuff).

I don't have any King Crimson shirt... ;)

I have to say the new SymX song has a good mix of aggressive and melodic vox, even though I'd prefer it to be all melodic of course...