New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

I like aggressive russ vocals, I just think they let the pendulum swing too far in that direction. I think Symphony X got as heavy as they could get, hopefully now they are subtly exploring different sounds

I generally prefer a 50/50 mix of clean and aggressive - I listen to Paradise Lost more than anything else in their catalog, with the occasional shot of The Odyssey.

And I realize I'm saying this about Symphony X, but oh my god the lyrics make me wish I didn't understand English.

C'mon now. SX was never all melodic. 'Smoke And Mirrors' anyone?

Come on indeed, you really compare the level of aggressivity of the vocals in that particular track with the "general" vocal style on Iconoclast? No Angry Russ found in Smoke And Mirrors in my book. I just played the track to be sure. And then played Bastards of The Machine from Iconoclast. We don't talk the same level of aggression in the vox IMO.

BTW, I enjoyed every SymX album, including the last 2 ones. I can enjoy Angry Russ, I'd just like the angriness to be toned down a bit.

Me too, but I really hope for more melodic Russ (a la When All Is Lost) than angry Russ on Underworld...

But I know it most likely won't be the case and that I should play some Allen/Lande or Level 10 for my melodic Russ fix... :D

I agree 100%. I am fine with some "angry Russ" because he does that well, but he has such a beautiful voice, it seems like a waste to hear only the rough stuff. Russ actually reminds me quite a bit of Paul Rogers when he sings melodically. Some may raise eyebrows or what not, but Rogers is a living legend. That is a compliment in the highest.

Bryant

I got into them right before The Odyssey dropped, so I too kind of fell into the "angry" Russ vibe first, but let's be real - it's a fucking insane criticism from "fans" of the band. Symphony X was never Yes or Porcupine Tree. They always played metal, always relied on being very very heavy. He's not doing screaming vocals any more than Dio or David Lee Roth would during their heaviest stuff. It's not some huge colossal change in the band's sound. People need to untuck their King Crimson shirts from their belts and get a grip.

I agree get rid of the KC shirts but I must say that some of you who think the aggressive singing is best for the band really need to take their ear plugs out...

tmf13-sx-06.jpg

I will respectfully disagree with you, friend. Angry Russ for President!

I am always entertained when "prog" fans are offended by a band NOT doing the same shit over and over again.

LOL me too... and having been a Sy-X fan since TDWoT came out (but Impulse was out and I had to "settle" for Damnation Game :) ) I think this band has the most finicky fans of any prog/prog metal band. IMHFO, this band has NEVER put out a bad cd, and everything in their catalog has plenty of merit, even the debut. If this makes me a Sy-X mark, so be it, they are one of a few bands who have never disappointed me over the years, and unless they put out a cd of Emo Dubstep Polka tunes, (that might even be cool!LOL) I don't see this changing anytime soon. Looking forward to the new cd, and being able to base any opinions on hearing the WHOLE thing....

Actually, I am tired of Russ' lack of variety of vocals on the last two albums, so it isn't about not doing the same shit over again for me.

And yeah, put me into that preference of 50/50 mix of angry/melodic vox....
But I'm ok either way. He does have one of the best voices, and I'd sure like to hear more of that...Lets wait to hear all of it before dismissing it....

I think this band has the most finicky fans of any prog/prog metal band.

Have you heard of this little band called Dream Theater? :lol::p

But seriously, I really like Iconoclast, so we are really splitting hairs here. But then again Symphony X and Dream Theater should be flattered that they have fans that are passionate enough to be this obsessed and petty. The alternative is other bands that would beg for a substantial number of fans to overanalyze the minutia of anything they would do.