New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

Interesting stuff. Not my cup of tea really. But definitely interesting. I do hear strong prog elements in the songs 'The Last Baron', 'Hearts Alive' and 'Sleeping Giant'. More than a little Rush influence coming in here and there. Doesn't really trip my trigger enough to make me want to run out and part with my hard earned money. But I can definitely see how they would be considered prog based on this music. Odd. Because the material I heard, which must have been pretty recent...say in the last year, was not proggy at all to my ears. Have they changed up/dumbed down their sound to some degree?

I am not a big fan by ANY means, but I have a couple of their older albums, and am loosely familiar with their newer material. It's gotten less complex, less deathy, but still bears a vague resemblance to the fringes of modern prog metal.

They remind me of where Chuck Schuldiner would have headed prior to his untimely death.

Adrenaline Mob is to my ears, radio rock played by metal musicians. I bought their debut and probably listened through it twice. Just couldn't get into it.

And while Chuck was definitely getting more progressive with his sound, it was still very much in the death metal tradition. I think where Gorguts is now is where Chuck was headed with Death. Or perhaps he would have abandoned Death and continued with another Control Denied project, to which I would agree with your observation.

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

Well that's something a bit different.

Epilepsy warning in that video. Not sure who thought all those white flashes was a good idea, but they're an asshat for it.

giphy.gif

I have to say that I'm digging these first two songs. "Nevermore" took a little bit longer to grow on me, but "Without You" was an instantly enjoyable song. The only problem I have so far with this album is the sub-par lyrics. They seem to be slapped together without much forethought, whereas the lyrics on their previous albums have a little more of a poetic feel. It doesn't help that these songs were presented in a lyric video format (am I the only one who finds these things to be annoying?). Thankfully, Russell Allen can sing Roget's Thesaurus and sound amazing.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Wow, great song! The warm and melodic Symphony X has returned. Sometimes I feel Symphony X get a bit carried away trying to be heavy and aggressive, when a song like "Without You" is really what they do best.

I'm halfway through and holy shit. It's metal very much so. Also proggy. There're a number of spots that recall the much vaunted SX past, and as many that show their newer aggression.

If you are or were an SX fan there's something here for you. I'm smitten with them all over again. And those riffs!

This is the third album in two weeks to give me total shit eating grins.

EDIT: Particular standouts for me: Overture+Nevermore, Charon, Run with the Devil, Legend.

Yeah .. it's pretty top notch stuff again from Symphony X. I think I like To Hell and Back the best, but the disc is full of strong tunes. It's also got a little less Angry Russ than the past few, so that should make some pretty happy. I think Angry Russ appears on four tracks, and in one or two of those it is very minimal. Good disc .. another winner from Symphony X.

Britt

I'm liking it. I've gone through it about four times today. Mostly at work through headphones with some distractions, but over all it's solid. Does anyone else feel like some the literally references are feeling forced though? Maybe it's just me.

Jaydub, Metulhed, LaneMiller, Melbcro, and Glenn just off the top of my head. Add in anyone whose username is based on PoS, DT, or the like and the list grows.

There're lots of fans of both. There are lots of fans of one or the other. I like both, but skew far more prog. I don't think either side really has a majority.

The Purveyor of Evil and I have a good debate on this general topic. He calls my prog metal "wussy" metal and I call his power/death preference "mindless" metal. We have a great time with it. Actually, SX is definitely one band that we both love. I'll gladly take either Sir Russells.

I actually just my physical copy of Underworld today and first impressions are that this has true CLASSIC potential. I loved SX's last few album, but there is definitely an Odyssey/V approach taken with Underworld - more proggyness and more epicness. Also, there is a greater variety of style, allowing Mr. Angry and Mr. Melodic to come to the front. I noticed that all three Mikes contributed to the writing, which may explain the diversity.

Bottomline: I love. Time will tell just how close to the top of my annual Underworld makes it.:Spin:

Yeah that's one thing that sinks in after the first spin finishes. This disc feels very large. I don't really want to say epic because it's such an abused term, but...maybe that's the right word. Bombast and crazy and awesome and WOOOHOOO SYMPHONY X ON 11!

The Purveyor of Evil and I have a good debate on this general topic. He calls my prog metal "wussy" metal and I call his power/death preference "mindless" metal. We have a great time with it. Actually, SX is definitely one band that we both love. I'll gladly take either Sir Russells.

I actually just my physical copy of Underworld today and first impressions are that this has true CLASSIC potential. I loved SX's last few album, but there is definitely an Odyssey/V approach taken with Underworld - more proggyness and more epicness. Also, there is a greater variety of style, allowing Mr. Angry and Mr. Melodic to come to the front. I noticed that all three Mikes contributed to the writing, which may explain the diversity.

Bottomline: I love. Time will tell just how close to the top of my annual Underworld makes it.:Spin:
Come on, Lane, you know you love Cannibal Corpse.