oooh DragonCon has metal!

so basically...
if you 'draw a crowd' and kiss ass to TPTB, you get to play D C.

Dude, I realize that you're bitter about your band not being invited back to play Dragon*Con umpteen years ago.

That being said,......yeah. If you draw a crowd, or build an audience at the event, sure, there's a good chance you'll be invited back. Playing 'on the cheap' helps. As for 'kissing ass to TPTB,' gee....I guess you don't know about the fabled Harlan Ellison Incident, do you? Or the incident last year with the Fire Marshal. If anyone's ass was kissed last year, it was his, and it wasn't Rogue or CXS doing the kissin'.

all im saying, is they arent playing anything that we havent heard before. *sarcasm* and thankfully we get to hear it every year....

Ahh. How many CXS shows at D*C have you seen?

Here's the weird thing. It's a festival atmosphere and anyone can watch, leave, come back, go to the hotel bar, go to the show in the other ballroom, go to the drum-circle, go to room-parties, go bar-hopping, go to the new 24-hour cafe, or do whatever. It's not like someone's holding 1,500+ people in the ballroom at gunpoint.

'bitter' is if i was 17 i would take it personally. You either get the music or not.
'umpteen years ago', would be 2001 BTW

ive seen CXS at LEAST 5 times..they never cease to amaze me...here..this is our body eat it, and go buy 20 hole doc martins and join our fanclub.

Change the thing up a little.

at least i know i can get a Ham and Swiss Sub at the '24 hour diner' and have more variety in the menu than on the bands at D.C.

You couldn't be more wrong, but....nevermind. You're not coming anyway. :lol:

+1

I've seen the Cruxshadows 3 times live and I have their DVD. I think that they are great value live ... and I adore The Last Dance too. The Dragon Con line-up looks great to me as a fan of Goth and Metal stuff. I wont be there either but I wish the organisers good luck!

at least i know i can get a Ham and Swiss Sub at the '24 hour diner' and have more variety in the menu than on the bands at D.C.

Well, that's not a diss on the Dragon*Con band lineup at all; the menu at that place is HUGE. :lol:

But taking your dismissive comment more seriously, the Cruxshadows really are quite different stylistically from The Last Dance, neither is that much like Bella Morte, and none of the above sound like Ghoultown or Voltaire. None of them sound at all like Emerald Rose or Three-Quarter Ale or The Lost Boys (celtic/folk stuff).
We're also taking a chance and booking TTD and Vainglory this year.
Plus, there are several other bands on the bill (Serpenteens, Luchagors, Calabrese, etc.) with whose stuff I'm not that familiar but who are also heavier than, say, CXS...and of course, the original plan included Stolen Babies as well. So, I feel confident about dismissing your 'lack of variety' comment out of hand.

I am really excited about seeing Calabrese and the Serpenteens. My personal tastes run towards horror punk as of late, and Calabrese is one of the best bands in that genre that I have ever heard, great hooks and energy. Serpenteens are opening, and while I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, their newer stuff has a swampy hard rock sound that reminds me of Danzig's early solo material. Serpenteens play at midnight on Sunday/early Monday, and Calabrese go on afterwards. While the "true metal" fans are hoping that Vainglory/TTD opens the door for more of a metal presence at DragonCon, I am hoping these two bands do the same for horror rock.

I'm just glad Jeremy and Jamie from Heaven & Hell Records did all the legwork to bring Vainglory and Twisted Tower Dire to play live. They also set up several meet and greets with members of Hallows Eve, Overlorde and others, along with giveaways and contests. If you go by their booth in the vendor area, stop by and say thanx if you have a moment.

And BTW no matter what else you hear, Heaven & Hell brought them. No one else locally or nationally had anything much to do with it. They should be appreciated for the huge effort they've made to bring metal to Dragon Con. :headbang:

Hopefully it will go over well enough to make metal a regular thing at the event.

I'd love to go to all the nights for the shows heh... but not going to buy an all 'con' badge for it... with an expectation of only showing one day to the vendor room. In future years I might try to game in some way... but didn't plan for it this year. But maybe some silly card game or more to my liking... a computer game tourney.

So might see some there on Saturday night and then Sunday in the con... and then Sunday night. We'll see.

When we began working on this idea and pitched it to Dragon Con. We never wanted to start a metal vs. goth war. That was the last thing we ever wanted. Personally I’m a big fan of old goth rock and once swarmed among them. Now I’m just to fat to wear ruffled shirts. And goth rock is now disco with funny names.
Needless to say, although the spooky appeal is at D*C for these bands, I can see how they would get tiresome for some people. I also recall the Cruxshadows first time there when there was not a crowd. I could put it on UTUBE if any one likes to it So they may have built one, but it is not fair to led people to believe it instantly happened. Still it is not difficult to change up. There are many bands out there who would jump at playing an event like Dragon Con. Some bands even better than past bands.. In the early stages of this I was talking to Lordi’s people and one of the guitarist of After Forever about this (who happened to have contacted me about it). A few labels offered bands, some bigger names than Vain Glory or TTD. So it’s not that difficult find them. And there are many with gimmicks. I wanted a band that had themes of wizards and warriors and there is not much better out there. The more I hear “Axes and Honor” I come to believe it is the greatest metal anthem ever. But after all it is called Dragon Con. So why not musical act that sings about a dragon? Adds up in my head. I’m just overlly gracious that when I finally spoke with the head program director that he liked the idea saying he wanted something new and thought the idea was “brillant”. And he wondered why he had never thought of it. That’s what he told me anyways.

Most also consider the people who may show up cause there is nothing else they find interesting that night besides seeing the goth group. Not suggesting that that is why the numbers are large. Still could be a fact if there is nothing else to decide on. Well hopefully this year there will be something. For all I know it may not work. But Dragon Con. Has never really had a “heavy metal” band since Iced Earth. Please do not suggest Gene Loves Jezebel as a metal band? This year we will see how it goes.
But it does look like there is a whole audience that maybe looked over That would be the people who just want to rock. I noticed them the first year I was a vendor there. I also understand that it is not a “music festival’ But it this was entirely the case then there would not be so much focus exclusive on any band or musical act that wears eyeliner. But both can co-exist. Heavy metal/rock culture can offer up a Voltaire and a Poppy Z just as easily as a glove smoke filled building full of funeral going teens shoe gazing while a Madonna remix with a Halloween back noise. Yep, that gothb these daze.
I really look forward to seeing Bella. Wanted to for years so I believe I will this weekend.
Well I’m done with this, forums make me feel like I’m still trying to sneak peaks at my dad’s Hustler cause I don’t have a girlfriend. So I’m out rock on peps

For those curious, the Heaven & Hell/Exploding Neds booths will be in the Grand Salon at the Hilton.....facing from the front of the hotel to the back, this is the room on the right side, one floor up from the lobby.

Of course, the room on the left will also hold Exhibitor Booths, and the big room down below the lobby will hold the dealers' tables and the Comic Artists Alley.

Link to 2.4 Mb pdf of the Pocket Program: http://www.dragoncon.org/pdfs/DC07-ProgBook-FINAL-web.pdf

Yep, that gothb these daze.

The music that falls under goth takes a lot of forms and so do the fans. So while you are right about a certain segment of the goths, it's not universal. Some of the hardcore death rockers hate that stuff even more than you do.

I come from a metal background, so I like the bands with "real instruments." Classic bands like Bauhaus, Sexgang, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and (relatively) newer stuff like In Tenebris, Faith and the Muse, and, yes, The Last Dance. I'm pretty much done with this thread, but I want my lasting legacy to those who know me as "that goth dude" to be: I don't listen to techno. That techno stuff is to the gothic music I listen to what nu-metal is to power metal.

Over and out. Hope to see some of you at DragonCon.

Hey everyone

Overlorde's bassist Kong will be at the Heaven and Hell booth Saturday at 2:00

In addition to some of the RETURN OF THE SNOW GIANT posters, we designed a nice color 8 x 10 for him to give away. The first promotional item featuring our new singer Chris Colfax. There is a limited amount so be sure to grab yours fast if you want one.

Our thanks to Jeremy and Hoyt (Rider of Theli for arranging this!)

...Overlorde's bassist Kong will be at the Heaven and Hell booth Saturday at 2:00

And yeah, we'll be there all day Saturday, but Kong will be at the Meet'n'Greet table at 2PM - wherever they decide that will be, depending on space - just look for signs or flyers telling where the band members will be hanging out during their allotted time.

Hope to see you all there as well as at the Vainglory and Twisted Tower Dire shows later that night! :kickass:

Just to make sure everyone is perfectly clear on this - I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BRINGING METAL BANDS TO DRAGON*CON. It was all H&HR. Kudos to them for the hard work and all their efforts.

If anything, all I did was talk Kong into wasting his time and money into showing up for nothing at all. Because unfortunately for him, due to health reasons he had to leave a couple of hours earlier than planned. Plus, who knew he'd be in a booth with three other bands at once? And who knew that we would be stuck in a three-hour line Saturday morning trying to get registered? I believe Dragon*Con owes me at least two hours of my life. I mean, jeez, who puts only four people taking money from about 10,000 people?! :rolleyes:

~Hoyt.

Just to make sure everyone is perfectly clear on this - I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BRINGING METAL BANDS TO DRAGON*CON. It was all H&HR. Kudos to them for the hard work and all their efforts.

If anything, all I did was talk Kong into wasting his time and money into showing up for nothing at all. Because unfortunately for him, due to health reasons he had to leave a couple of hours earlier than planned. Plus, who knew he'd be in a booth with three other bands at once? And who knew that we would be stuck in a three-hour line Saturday morning trying to get registered? I believe Dragon*Con owes me at least two hours of my life. I mean, jeez, who puts only four people taking money from about 10,000 people?! :rolleyes:

~Hoyt.

It would take something spectacular to get me back to another Dragon*Con. Two hours? They owe me like four hours. Three for registration and another for the lock out, because the fire marshall declared the hotel over crowded.

Good to see you again Hoyt. Derek, I went by Gothic Shadows but they said you weren't around right then. Never saw Paul, so he must have been pretty busy.

Yah the line sucks. Going later in the day is the way to do it.. afternoonish. I heard though you could but tickets at Subway this year... or discount passes maybe?

Yeah, I boycott D*C now, and if I do make it there, it's for my friend's room party, as I'm his security. It sucks, because I've always enjoyed the music (yes, I'm one of those gothy metal-heads for those who haven't met me), but they pissed me off the other year, and it's not worth my time for bands I can see elsewhere, without the headache.

At 1:30 pm the line still extended to outside. Any later and you wouldn't have time to do anything except the night concerts, which aren't worth $40 alone.

damn straight. My feet are still aching from that 3-hour line. And btw, the outside line was still wrapped around three sides of the Hyatt well after 3PM. Those folks had better been buying a three day pass. Because a Saturday only pass was not worth a 3 hour wait. I never even saw the dealer's room, and only half of the exhibitor's hall before it closed. I don't even recall seeing a sign for the dealers room, even where it usually was located on the street level of the Marriott. I also practically 'ran' through the Walk of Fame. Everyone was a blur in there.

Harsh lesson learned for certain.