oooh DragonCon has metal!

Wow. Last year it wasn't nearly as bad. When I came last year on saturday at about 10:30-11am there was no real line. Very odd.

Hopefully they get their act together better for next year.

And Magius. That's what I heard on 99x (concerning Subway). So not sure what the situation was there.

We arrived around 3:00 on Saturday, and went in the Hilton first (closest hotel to where we parked). We managed to get through the dealer rooms with no trouble, or badges (yay for blending into large crowds). We finally went to get our badges around 5:00, and it took about 30 minutes. We'll definitely be waiting until late in the day to get them next year. With all of the costumes and people roaming about, there's a good bit to keep you occupied with out needing a badge (depending on what you're interested in seeing).

It was cool running into Paul, Hoyt, Chris and several others while we were there!

--Mike

It was cool running into Paul, Hoyt, Chris and several others while we were there!

--Mike

Good to see you too Mike!

My wife and I went up Thursday to get our Tickets. Took about an hour. A friend of mine went Saturday morning around 9:00AM and took the same. Another friend went Sunday only and got his tickets in about 30 minutes so there is some hope for the morning goers!

That said...Twisted Tower Dire FUCKING RULED!!!!! Anyone else have thoughts on their performance? New singer is great and their energy was awesome. Hopefully we'll see them at PP in the future!

Wow. Last year it wasn't nearly as bad. When I came last year on saturday at about 10:30-11am there was no real line. Very odd.

Hopefully they get their act together better for next year.

And Magius. That's what I heard on 99x (concerning Subway). So not sure what the situation was there.

If 99X announced that they couldn't be more wrong. Dragon Con doesn't sell "tickets." One has to buy a "membership" and you can't buy a membership in advance if you only want to attend one two or even three days. Unless you buy a 4 day membership you have to get it on the day you go which requires:

1. That EVERYONE buying a membership has to show an ID. Therefor, everyone of 10 thousand people have to go through the line. One person can't buy a bunch of tickets for a party.

2. That all demographic information including Name, Address, Phone Number, e-mail, and the name or "alias" wanted on the badge has to be entered into a computer for all 10 thousand people.

3. A customized badge has to be made for all 10 thousand people.

Each of these takes place in a seperate station. And to do all this they had 4 cashiers. Two for cash and two for credit. For 10 thousand people.

Now that I've had a couple days to rest from the event, I'd like to thank the metalhedz who stopped by Exploding Ned's and Heaven & Hell's booths over the weekend. I did not know about all the hassle you folks went thru just to get in, so my apologies for you having to wait so long.

Having said that, I doubt I will do the event anymore for several reasons, but that one would be at the top of the list. I have always felt that inconveniencing attendees is the worst thing any promoter can do, and with the advent of online purchasing/registering, there is no reason DC couldn't do that to avoid those huge lines. Someone arrives at 10am, has to wait til noon or 1pm to actually get inside, thereby reducing the time they can attend by 2-3 hours. Totally irresponsible. If they'd get their act together at DC and do online ticket sales/registering, then I would definitely consider doing the event again.

Again, thanx to all attendees, it was great talking with you there as always. :worship:

Now that I've had a couple days to rest from the event, I'd like to thank the metalhedz who stopped by Exploding Ned's and Heaven & Hell's booths over the weekend. I did not know about all the hassle you folks went thru just to get in, so my apologies for you having to wait so long.

Having said that, I doubt I will do the event anymore for several reasons, but that one would be at the top of the list. I have always felt that inconveniencing attendees is the worst thing any promoter can do, and with the advent of online purchasing/registering, there is no reason DC couldn't do that to avoid those huge lines. Someone arrives at 10am, has to wait til noon or 1pm to actually get inside, thereby reducing the time they can attend by 2-3 hours. Totally irresponsible. If they'd get their act together at DC and do online ticket sales/registering, then I would definitely consider doing the event again.

Again, thanx to all attendees, it was great talking with you there as always. :worship:

Honestly, it doesn't speed things up that much. Go to a place like Otakon and you'll wait 3+ hrs in line whether you prereg or register there. My friend's convention in CT had about a 2 hr wait throughout most of Friday and they even have Thursday badge pickup for a few hours. When you've got a few thousand people all trying to get in at once, it's really hard to move people very fast even if you have half of them in your system already.

I bring forth these ideas in the forum to get discussion going along the lines of possible solutions. Hopefully some solutions will be brought forth, because in all honesty I don't see a brick wall here.

Honestly, it doesn't speed things up that much. Go to a place like Otakon and you'll wait 3+ hrs in line whether you prereg or register there. My friend's convention in CT had about a 2 hr wait throughout most of Friday and they even have Thursday badge pickup for a few hours. When you've got a few thousand people all trying to get in at once, it's really hard to move people very fast even if you have half of them in your system already.

I bring forth these ideas in the forum to get discussion going along the lines of possible solutions. Hopefully some solutions will be brought forth, because in all honesty I don't see a brick wall here.

I'm not saying no to prereg as that's how I always get my membership (especially since most give you discounts the earlier your register). Just saying that I don't think it's the fix that you think it'll be. The best way to make the lines move faster is simply more staff at the registration desk. Combine that with preregistering and dividing up those stations, and you will cut the line time quite a bit. From the discussion of there only being 4 people working the reg desk and everyone having to show ID & pay, I'm amazed the line moved as fast as it did, actually.

Your ideas "more staff at the registration desk. Combine that with preregistering and dividing up those stations" sounds great, and should be considered if not immediately implemented. Now we're getting somewhere. :headbang:

I'm not saying no to prereg as that's how I always get my membership (especially since most give you discounts the earlier your register). Just saying that I don't think it's the fix that you think it'll be. The best way to make the lines move faster is simply more staff at the registration desk. Combine that with preregistering and dividing up those stations, and you will cut the line time quite a bit. From the discussion of there only being 4 people working the reg desk and everyone having to show ID & pay, I'm amazed the line moved as fast as it did, actually.

...From the discussion of there only being 4 people working the reg desk and everyone having to show ID & pay, I'm amazed the line moved as fast as it did, actually.

there were actually 10 or 12 folks at the On-Site registration booths, but there were only 4 people stationed in the cashier (two for 'cash', two for 'credit') - and that's where the bottleneck was when I was in line between 9AM-Noon. Literally. I'm not kidding.

In years past I have always gone all four days and pre-registered months in advance to get the discount prices and to be able to pick up my badge(s) without waiting in a long line. This year I decided to go at almost the last minute, and for only Saturday in order to catch the metal bands.
The worse I'd ever had it at Dragon*Con in the past - many years ago - in an on-site line was maybe 45 mins-1 hour wait. And that's what I fully expected last Saturday morning. But three hours for any line is a little extreme, especially when a convention fully expects the bulk of it's registrants to register ON-SITE all in one day.

Again, harsh lesson learned. So while in line I checked the block to pre-register for 2008 for $45. I spent $40 for Saturday only this year. So I figure if I go next year for one day or all four days, the overall cost will be far less in time wasted. :zombie:

Just some more insight from someone on the battlefront this year. :p

lol. They're talking about DC on Conan O'Brian. It's the Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage segment. He complained about not getting the 4x6 badge that preregs got (like a 3 minute speal about it).

Doing away with demographic info and required ID on all 1 day passes would suffice. If you must have it, allow the attendees to hand in their info sheet and go. Let a clerk enter that stuff in a back office.
Why the Hell would you need to see an ID to put my name or "Magius" on a personalized badge?:rolleyes:

lol. They're talking about DC on Conan O'Brian. It's the Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage segment. He complained about not getting the 4x6 badge that preregs got (like a 3 minute speal about it).

Wow, that's pretty major publicity for D*C! (And remember, there is no such thing as 'bad' publicity. :))

BTW, as a reminder, Dragon*Con is almost entirely an all-volunteer event. It's easily the largest volunteer-run convention in Atlanta and probably for a loooong distance from here. Many of the ideas here would be great....if we were paying a lot of people substantial hourly wages or a yearly salary to implement them.

Another common suggestion: mail the tickets to attendees! And of course, even if only 5% lost them between now and next year, it'd be a colossal headache.

I don't quite understand how NOT requiring every individual ID to be shown, NOT requiring demographic information for 1 day passes, and NOT making individualized badges would require "paying a lot of people substantial hourly wages or a yearly salary to implement." I also fail to see how a volunteer transcribing information from a form in a back office, would cost more than a vounteer attendees have to stand in a second line to see personally. Both are free after all.
It might also occur to someone that if only four volunteers to work as cashiers can be found it's likely that Dragon Con has out grown it's all volunteer staffing. Dragon Con has exceeded 20 thousand attendees for at least 3 years straight, and since said attendees paid about $35 per day, one might assume they could afford a few $7/hr cashiers.

Wow, that's pretty major publicity for D*C! (And remember, there is no such thing as 'bad' publicity. :))

It wasn't really a negative statement. Just "nerd rage" about him drooling over the 4x6 badge with a full dragon, finding out he was waiting in the wrong line, and then only getting a pin on badge with a dragon's head because it was only for prereg people. And Conan afterwards was like "I'm sure the 2 or 3 people that understood whatever you just said feel for you." Search youtube and there's a video up of what this segment typically is like (it's about anime)

Also, it should be viewable on the NBC website by Friday (Tuesday's is up so I'm guessing sometime tomorrow)
http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/video/episodes.shtml
It was on in the first 15 or so minutes I think. And Clive Owen is the main guest.

I don't quite understand how NOT requiring every individual ID to be shown, NOT requiring demographic information for 1 day passes, and NOT making individualized badges would require "paying a lot of people substantial hourly wages or a yearly salary to implement." I also fail to see how a volunteer transcribing information from a form in a back office, would cost more than a vounteer attendees have to stand in a second line to see personally. Both are free after all.
It might also occur to someone that if only four volunteers to work as cashiers can be found it's likely that Dragon Con has out grown it's all volunteer staffing. Dragon Con has exceeded 20 thousand attendees for at least 3 years straight, and since said attendees paid about $35 per day, one might assume they could afford a few $7/hr cashiers.

I agree. It's almost like there's this sacred "policy" concerning registration that you're not supposed to complain about. The excuse (that I heard while in line) that "well, people are doing it" is silly because it's the only option. There's not an alternative.

From my understanding, you complain, they will listen. I know several people....roommate included (who you might have seen around Paul), who volunteer for D*C and I know that the registration is their albatross, though.

As far as the demographics stuff....well, I can kinda see where it's helpful, least as far as security goes. Cause a problem and they at least have an idea about who to nail and put on their "do not attend" list. Of course, that also requires people to notify them when their badge is stolen. Puts more responsibility on the attendee, plus, if you attend, they send you info the next year for pre-reg, in the event you want to attend the whole con. That stuff is nice, but some of us don't have time.

From my understanding, you complain, they will listen. I know several people....roommate included (who you might have seen around Paul), who volunteer for D*C and I know that the registration is their albatross, though.

Oh, definitely. Well, that and crowd-flow, especially late at night and when the big ballroom panels let out in the Hyatt.

I'm in the process of posting videos from the con right now....most of you can just smile and move on, though, since they're mostly from 'my' acoustic stage, the drum-circle, and (gasp) non-metal shows. (I thought I'd taken a vid during TTD's set, but apparently I only pressed the shutter button halfway down to 'set' it.)

I'll address the "four cashiers" thing in my after-action report, which I'll probably try to write up this weekend.