Pain of Salvation - In The Passing Light Of Day

After a few days with the full album, I really enjoy it. There are many amazing songs and emotional moments on this album. It really does sound like a natural progression for a band that has constantly changed their sound album to album (Rs1->Rs2 excluded). People that may have been put off by them going all in with the 70's retro sound will be pleased to see some more prog and heavy elements back. People looking to hear them rehash the style of Entropia or Remedy Lane will also likely be disappointed. This album does not ignore Scarsick and Road Salt sonically, but rather blends everything they have done in the past plus adds some new tricks. Having Ragnar in the band as a writer and vocalist elevates this album for sure.

Too early to rank the album in their catalog, I would say it will land somewhere in the middle. But that is pretty good for me since the order of my top 5 Pain of Salvation albums could change from day to day.

TLDR: Quality album, if you were turned off by the last couple albums give this a try, just don't expect it to sound exactly like their old stuff.

Color me impressed.

I was a total fanboy up until RS1/2. Even loved Scarsick. RS1/2 did nothing for me.

This album is really good, first listen in. They still have a LOT of the RS vibe throughout, but its better when mixed with other elements. Daniel is at his creative best when he's very close to the subject matter (Remedy Lane) or passionate about something (OHBTCL) and that really shows here as he puts his personal battle on display.

Can't wait to see how my perception grows and changes with more listens!

I heard a promo smart guy. Do you know what that is? Stop making assumptions without facts mate. My cd collection is over 2,000 cds , I support is my second name. Now back to you, can you handle the truth? AND YES I'LL PASS ON IT. Do you want me to repeat it again smart guy?

Please, repeat it again. I like to hear you squawk

I'm with MelbCro on this one. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. The truth is, this is going to contend for cd of the year. I have not been a fan of Scarsick or either RoadShit albums, and this cd is leaps and bounds ahead of the recent era. It's too early to compare this to the 1st four for longevity, but as a fan I will say...

1. Remedy Lane
2. The Perfect Element Pt.1
3. In The Passing Light of Day
4. One Hour By The Concrete Lake
5. Entropia
6. Be
7. Scarsick
8. Falling Home
9. Road Salt 2
10. Road Salt 1

Huh, number 3...

Well, people whose opinions I don't generally ignore have some faith in it. I will give it its honest due when it arrives. I just...don't really feel any hype for it, or have a ton of faith that I want will be there.

Color me impressed.

I was a total fanboy up until RS1/2. Even loved Scarsick. RS1/2 did nothing for me.

This album is really good, first listen in. They still have a LOT of the RS vibe throughout, but its better when mixed with other elements. Daniel is at his creative best when he's very close to the subject matter (Remedy Lane) or passionate about something (OHBTCL) and that really shows here as he puts his personal battle on display.

Can't wait to see how my perception grows and changes with more listens!

For me I hear the Road Salt elements in the rawness that's there in a lot of the songs but it does it without that 70's hard rock aesthetic and production.

After a few days with the full album, I really enjoy it. There are many amazing songs and emotional moments on this album. It really does sound like a natural progression for a band that has constantly changed their sound album to album (Rs1->Rs2 excluded). People that may have been put off by them going all in with the 70's retro sound will be pleased to see some more prog and heavy elements back. People looking to hear them rehash the style of Entropia or Remedy Lane will also likely be disappointed. This album does not ignore Scarsick and Road Salt sonically, but rather blends everything they have done in the past plus adds some new tricks. Having Ragnar in the band as a writer and vocalist elevates this album for sure.

Too early to rank the album in their catalog, I would say it will land somewhere in the middle. But that is pretty good for me since the order of my top 5 Pain of Salvation albums could change from day to day.

TLDR: Quality album, if you were turned off by the last couple albums give this a try, just don't expect it to sound exactly like their old stuff.

I think you can hear a lot of classic PoS, the heaviness of the album with the syncopated riffing is very reminiscent of Entropia and One Hour. Melodically, the emotion and moments of lush beauty do call back Remedy Lane and Perfect Element.

Huh, number 3...

Well, people whose opinions I don't generally ignore have some faith in it. I will give it its honest due when it arrives. I just...don't really feel any hype for it, or have a ton of faith that I want will be there.

Well, it hasn't left my player since last Saturday. I have spun this more than I played Road Shit 1 & 2 and Scarsick combined, and I am a huge fanboy of POS. The top 5 are going to be very interchangeable over the course of the next few years if my gut feeling is right, but nothing will ever compare to Remedy Lane.

Loving this album and the lyrical content in particular. The way they link it to TPE ("come what may") and Remedy Lane ("ending theme")... That was great how they sneaked that in there.

Loving this album and the lyrical content in particular. The way they link it to TPE ("come what may") and Remedy Lane ("ending theme")... That was great how they sneaked that in there.

On facebook Daniel said the album had the working title Remedy Lane 2

From Milton's FB post: "I'm very excited to announce that the fantastic band District 97 is going to be the new direct support band for Pain of Salvation on the upcoming North American shows.
If you're unfamiliar with them, take your time and check them out. D97 is a fantastic progressive rock band from Chicago led by former American Idol finalist Leslie Hunt. The band offers a very unique blend of progressive rock which I am sure will appeal to several PoS fans and music lovers alike.
Note that D97 will *not* be appearing at the New York City show due to a scheduling conflict. All other shows will feature the band, however."

PAIN OF SALVATION HIT THE CHARTS WITH IN THE PASSING LIGHT OF DAY

"...The album has entered the national sales charts in various countries, reaching the highest entries in the band's history as follows:
Germany: #28
France: #70
The Netherlands: #86
Italy: #56
Switzerland: #28
Belgium (Flemish charts): #82
Belgium (Wallonian charts): #79
Sweden (Physical album charts): #42
Sweden (Hardrock album charts): #20
USA (Billboard Heatseekers Chart): #9..."

From Milton's FB post: "I'm very excited to announce that the fantastic band District 97 is going to be the new direct support band for Pain of Salvation on the upcoming North American shows.
"

Saw this show last night in Buffalo, NY. Pain of Salvation brought it! The only blemish on a great evening was Daniel's fuckup on the closing track "In The Passing Light...". This was one of the top 5 most intense shows I've ever seen!

District 97 was decent, but the singer really likes to dance and act like an oddball and it kinda put me off, but damn that band is tight!

My earlier comments that this might be Pain of Salvation's 3rd best disc in the discography (which was met with some disagreement)???

1. Remedy Lane
2. In The Passing Light of Day
3. The Perfect Element pt. 1

It's that fucking good!

I don't hear in it what so many of you here. All of the stuff that grabbed me on the discs of yore doesn't feel so natural anymore and the guitar tone seems to confuse muddiness for heaviness. Daniel still sounds stellar, but that's not enough.

Oh well, I guess.