Potential Format Change: Feedback Requested

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I am considering changing the set times for next year. It may be for only a single night or both..or none at all. It's getting to the point where having four true big headliners is getting harder to pull off without repeating myself (and spending an assload of $$$). However, there are some monster mid-card bands still out there that I am dying to have.

I am considering adding 15 minutes to the 2nd band and subtracting 15 minutes from the 4th band if the quality is available. It would look like this:

1- 45 mins (opener)
2- 60 mins
3- 60 mins
4- 75 mins
5- 90+ mins

What say you?

Glenn H.

Depending on the band in slot 4, I think this is a great plan. So long as it isn't a "headliner", like you said, 75 min should be good. I think a lot of the #2 slot bands would have been better off with a slightly longer set. I know I wasn't kicking CM off this year.

However, if you get a Blind Guardian or Nightwish in at the 4 slot again, I'd want to see them with the full amount of time. I say: Go For It!

Steve in Philly

Fantastic idea Glenn - I'm all for it. This will definitely give more balance to the "mid-card" bands (who often appeal to the PP crowd even more than the headliners) and allow you to save money at the same time.

Then, when the capital is there you can bring secondary and tertiary PP Festivals to the East Coast & Midwest or something. The HoS Productions Empire will continue to prosper and grow! :)

Sounds great if the bands warrant it. Obviously a Pain of Salvation/Savatage or Therion/Strato combo would still warrant 90 minutes each ;).

I'll cast my vote for the change. 90 minutes is plenty for the headliners, but the current times for the midcards is just not enough sometimes. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have liked to see Symphorce play a few more songs.

rockyracoon said:
excellent idea. that would really give the feel of one true opener and one true headliner to each evening...

You took the words from my mouth. Great idea ........... until you book one of my favorites in a fourth slot, then I'll be pissed! ;)

I don't know... it seems like a ton of people leave during the #5 slot (especially on Saturday), either because they're not into the band, or because they want to socialize/say goodbye to people... and to me it doesn't make sense to have that slot be longer than the #4, and be the "true" headliner. If it were me, I'd switch the #4 and #5 slots on both nights.

Just a thought. But, IMO, using the #5 slot for the headliner only works if the headliner is WAY bigger than the #4 band -- especially at a fest that so many of us attend as a social gathering.

Other than that, I think that's a great idea. That way, you've got one "opener", two "support" bands, one "co-headliner", and one "headliner", and there aren't too many bands playing extremely long sets.

I like it; I would have loved to see Symphorce for 60 minutes this year and Therion for 15 minutes less. With that said, I would have been pissed if Conception played 15 minutes less, but as you said, there are not too many major headliners left w/o repeating yourself and a band that warrants the 90 minutes wouldn't be cut anyway(Conception!). Therefore, the 2,3, and 4 slots will most likely be bands that warrant a bit more than 45 minutes but haven't yet reached headliner status.

So I guess Poverty's No Crime, Time Machine, and Labyrinth fit the description perfectly!!!

I say Go for it!

I will echo the sentiments posted here. Good idea Glenn. I also agree with the "except if the headliner has to leave early" comments. It would be distressing for Blind Guardian or Nightwish to have a short set, but you already accounted for such a thing when you mentioned maybe it wouldn't be for both nights.

You're such a forward thinker Glenn.

1- 45 mins (opener)
2- 60 mins
3- 60 mins
4- 75 mins
5- 90+ mins

sounds great to me...especially if the next time I get to see SYMPHORCE it's at least 60min set!

Thank you again for my first Progpower, here's to many more! :headbang:

I'd say hell yeah! But as you said, Glenn... it really does depend on the bands that you get. It'll work as a general format, but as long as you keep it flexible to fit the bands that you pull next year, I'd love to see some of the mid-card bands get more time. That's for sure.