Potential Format Change: Feedback Requested

The mid-bands have almost always been the crowd-wowwers; I'd like to see them get a chance to play a little longer.

I think this would be perfect for Friday night but keep Sat as is. The Saturday 4th slot seems to be a popular choice for the "headliner." Some people seem to drop dead by the 5th slot and don't stay too long into that set. The 4th set often is the most revved up the crowd will be all night. Then you'd have 3 headliner worthy bands, 3 mid-card bands, & 3 openers.

Well although I like the idea of the 4th band getting 90 minutes, I agree it also depends on the band. But I'd hate to see the big bands start dropping off. Hell I'd pay 200 bucks a ticket if I could see some prog power III quality bands every year.

Landis

I think it's a good idea. And the Pretty Maids would be a nice 75 minute set for sure. Thanks, Glenn, from me and the Maids! :)

Personally, what I'd like to see is that 90+ band in the 4th slot on the night.. I don't know about everyone else, but I get tired of standing around waiting for the headliner. Not because the other bands are bad, but it drains you out to do so.

I'd like to see "the headliner" in the 4th slot, and then a good closer in the 5th. Reguardless, I like the 2 hour bands idea. I think the 2 45 minuite sets are just too short. One would be enough.

Harvester said:
I am considering changing the set times for next year. It may be for only a single night or both..or none at all. It's getting to the point where having four true big headliners is getting harder to pull off without repeating myself (and spending an assload of $$$). However, there are some monster mid-card bands still out there that I am dying to have.

I am considering adding 15 minutes to the 2nd band and subtracting 15 minutes from the 4th band if the quality is available. It would look like this:

1- 45 mins (opener)
2- 60 mins
3- 60 mins
4- 75 mins
5- 90+ mins

What say you?

Glenn H.

That's a tough call. Personally, I think to be the 4th band is the sweet spot. After 3 openers, this band gets a well pumped-up crowd. By the time the 5th band hits the stage, folks are tired and want to kick back. Some even go home. It would be a shame, I think, to cut time from the 4th band. This year, for example, I would've rather seen Therion given the extra 15 minutes and 15 minutes deducted from Strat. Therion had a theatrical show *worthy* of the extra time. And, although I'm as much a Strat fan, their intro was boring and wasteful, and they had too many encores. When they played "Hunting High and Low", it *felt* finished, yet the encores continued to the point of redundancy.

Here's another thought. What about starting the show an hour earlier, so that people aren't as tired for the headliner?

Just my thoughts.

-j