Potential Format Change: Feedback Requested

Tarathur said:
Here's another thought. What about starting the show an hour earlier, so that people aren't as tired for the headliner?

Just my thoughts.

-j

I'm not sure that will work. I'm a night owl when I'm not working. I can easily swing from waking up at 7 am to staying up till 3 am on Fridays. The concert itself is the tiring part. I slept till about 2 pm Friday and still was exhausted and drained by 2 am that night. This was also my first concert in months so it was a bit much for me to start off this concert season so maybe other people would be effected differently. I wouldn't mind it as I pretty much hung out in the vendor's area 3 hrs before the start on Saturday so a 4:30 start wouldn't effect me.

Harvester said:
3. Eventually, I will indeed have to repeat headliners and I do that now to a small extent. However, I'm going to put that off as long as possible.

Glenn H

I hope that doesn't mean putting off PoS next year as technically it is "their turn" again. :D LOL

Glenn, it sounds like a fine idea. I'd have hated for Therion to get 15 minutes less this year...but this gives you more flexibility on the mid-card bands. You wouldn't be committed to set-times until your band-schedule is complete (and maybe even after that), so you could still tinker with the schedule and have one night under the "old way" and another night under the "new regime."

Hell, it's your venue and your festival for the weekend. You've built ProgPower into the finest metal fest in the world. Schedule tinkering is an art-form at which you excel. This gives you a fresh canvas to play with, and I can only imagine the results will be great. \m/

Time adjustments seem fine to me.

Any thought to starting earlier ?
It seems many people end up fading when the 5th band goes on.
I saw people asleep (yes actually asleep, I should have taken a picture) for the 5th bands.

I was also having trouble staying awake by the end of the night.

I guess we're getting old. Perhaps Glenn will have to schedule nap time. Heck, as long as Stratovarius and Angra took to set up, maybe they should have announced an Official ProgPower Naptime.

Glenn,

You have my blessings. Excellent idea.

And of course not everyone will be happy... Quoting this Harveston guy, "It dont matter what you do, someone is gonna bitch 'bout it..."

lol

adaher said:
I was also having trouble staying awake by the end of the night.

I guess we're getting old. Perhaps Glenn will have to schedule nap time. Heck, as long as Stratovarius and Angra took to set up, maybe they should have announced an Official ProgPower Naptime.

Or a coffee break. Have some coffee pots at each of the bars for people to get their energy back ;). I know Starbucks is a block away but things seem to close early in Atlanta and besides, Starbucks coffee is worse than instant.

If I'm tired, alcohol will often just make me even more tired. I usually have a drink or two at the beginning of a show and then drink water the rest of the night so I don't get too dehydrated. Works well in that I fully remember the show by not getting drunk but still also get loosened up at the start.

Dude! That's a GREAT idea! I want to see more of the truly excellent (albeit more obscure) mid-card acts anyway. So that works GREAT for me. Only thing is, if you're going to scale back to one headliner per night, then they will have to be killer headliners in order to be a sufficient draw. So you will have to focus on getting as big a card carrier as possible.

sh0kr0k said:
I'll cast my vote for the change. 90 minutes is plenty for the headliners, but the current times for the midcards is just not enough sometimes. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have liked to see Symphorce play a few more songs.

I was about to post the exact same thing, right down to the mention of Symphorce.

In other words, I like the idea a lot.

75 minutes is still a good amount of time for that slot. Given Conception/Therion this year and Kamelot/Pain of Salvation last year the 90 minutes were greatly appreciated; but in contrast, Symphorce's set felt like 20 minutes this year. I think 15 minutes added to the second slot is a great idea. I would say it comes down to quality, but that's what the whole festival is based on, haha.