PPX got a few cd's to check out

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hello Gang,

I have had time to digest the anouncement of bands for this show. Glenn, I think it is an excellent idea to announce the bands at the show. This gives us plenty of time to check out the bands that we have never heard of. For someone like me, that is usually a lot of cd's i have to buy. I have to say i am VERY excited about the line-up for this show. I am bringing a newbie this year and he is excited to see what i have been talking about all these years. I know I am a hermit at PP because I am so interested in hearing the bands but I promise to be more social this year. I hear so many great PP stories and look forward to meeting more people at PPX. Anyway, I just wanted to give my thoughts on the bands this year.

Power Quest - Had never heard of them before the video announcement for the bands. When I heard them on the video, they sparked interest so I purchased 2 cd's/ I bought Magic Never Dies and Master of Illusion. I must say that I really like this band. Singer is amazing and the songs are very melodic. I am very excited about this band and their set. I think live they will be heavier than they are on cd. I also think the addition of Bill Hudson will add a shred factor to this band as well. Another band that I am now a fan of because of Glenn.

Tomorrow's Eve - Never heard of them before the video announcement. I am more of a power fan than I am of a progressive fan. So after doing some research on the band and listening to many sound samples, I just can't seem to latch on to this band. This is the type of band that may win me over live because I am sure the heavy parts will be much heavier live. I am looking forward to the set and learning more about this band.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Heard of them but had not heard anything from them. After listening to some samples of this band, this is another one i don't like enough to purchase a cd. The 4 songs that I have listened to have not done much for me so I am curious to what they will be like live. Here is the fun part of this. This is the oddball this year and every year at PP I love the oddball performance. On all Oddball choices for PP i had never heard of them and from the samples i heard did not care for most of them. So Glenn has never failed when it comes to the oddball band for me and the oddball is typically one of my favorite shows at PP. I have to be honest and say this one will be the biggest challenge. Due to my previous experience with the oddball bands, I am really looking forward to this show.

Sabaton - Never heard of them before the video announcement. After the video, i purchased 3 cd's. I have to say I am a huge fan of this band now and can't get enough of them. Nothing fancy here, just simple bang your head power metal. This is who I am looking forward to the most on Friday night. Another thanks to Glenn for introducing a terrific band to me. I love these guys!!!!

Royal Hunt - Had heard of them. I have Paradox and it gets very little spins only because the disc is not that heavy. i am a big fan of DC Cooper and his vocals are very good on this disc, it just lacks some power that I like to have in music. I do think that live this band will be much heavier. I plan on buying the latest disc as well as Paper Blood. I am a huge Mark Boals fan and can't wait to see him live. I loved him on Malmsteen's trilogy album. I think this will be a great show and I am very excited about it.

Andre Matos - Heard of him. I am torn when it comes to Matos. With Angra, hated Angel's Cry and Fireworks but Holy Land is a classic cd and it still gets constant plays. I never bought the Shamaan discs b/c I did not want to hear another Angra. Angra with EDU is better than Angra with Andre( this is my opinion). I have only heard the one cover song from Andre's solo album and love it so I will be purchasing his solo cd soon. I am very much looking forward to this show b/c I think Andre is an incredible musician and when is voice is on, IT IS ON. I am betting that he is going to do some incredible orchestration live too and I can't wait to hear what he does live. I think this show is going to be a really good one.

Circus Maximus - Heard of them. One of my favorite bands. Their latest cd is one of my favorite cd's and has my vote for one of the best vocal performances ever. I love both cd's but the latest one wins in my book. I know this will be a great show. I hope they get at least an hour to play and play songs from both old and new cd's. This is one I have been waiting to see since they were last here and won me over. Can't wait for this one.

Orphaned Land - Heard of them. These guys were awesome when they played PP last and they were one of my favorite shows of that year. I do not like them on cd but live they were fantastic. I am very excited to see them again. What i loved about them live was how much heavier they are live than what comes out over disc. The drummer was awesome and I look forward to seeing them again. Very excited about this one.

Pagan's Mind - Heard of them. This is one of my favorite bands and one that can do no wrong in my book. Jorn is my favorite guitar player out there today. The man is amazing but plays with emotion, class, style and the man is just smooth. These guys live are amazing and I can't wait to see them again. You know this one has my vote for the best performance. Glenn, thank you so much for bringing these guys back.

Brainstorm - Heard of them. These guys blew me away when they came here last and I am so glad to see them back. This is power metal the way i like it. I do not have any of their discs so I plan on buying the last two releases in the very near future. Andy was an amazing front man and sounded great live. This band was tight and brought the HEAVY to the fest. I am sure they will again. This is the band that I think my friend will like the best of the fest.

Fates Warning - Heard of them. I have total respect for Glenn on getting this band to play. This is one band that i did not think that i would ever get to see. I only have one cd from them. No Exit and it was a pretty good cd. The rest of what I have heard from them has not done a whole lot for me. That being said, I think they are going to totally shock me live. i think this one will be the surprise of the fest for me. I am betting that live they come across much heavier than they do on disc which is a good thing in my book. can never go wrong with Ray's vocals. Look forward to this one.

This line-up has been one of my favorites. I would love to see other people's thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,

Brand

Fates Warning - Heard of them. I have total respect for Glenn on getting this band to play. This is one band that i did not think that i would ever get to see. I only have one cd from them. No Exit and it was a pretty good cd. The rest of what I have heard from them has not done a whole lot for me. That being said, I think they are going to totally shock me live. i think this one will be the surprise of the fest for me. I am betting that live they come across much heavier than they do on disc which is a good thing in my book. can never go wrong with Ray's vocals. Look forward to this one.

Thanks,

Brand

if you liked No Exit well enough, you need to go backwards in their catalog and pick up the previous three releases. They sound nothing at all like the latter years melodic/progressive stuff.

Start with Awaken the Guardian. Although it has a different vocalist (John Arch), the music is bombastic and progressive all at once. Wonderful music and haunting & eclectic lyrics keeps this album in my top ten metal albums of all times. The two albums prior to this one reminds me in places of early (Bruce Dickinson years) Iron Maiden.

I really think you'll like the early years from Fates Warning, being the power metal fan that you are.

If/when you pick up Awaken the Guardian, let me know what you think. :)

Power Quest - Had never heard of them before the video announcement for the bands. When I heard them on the video, they sparked interest so I purchased 2 cd's/ I bought Magic Never Dies and Master of Illusion. I must say that I really like this band. Singer is amazing and the songs are very melodic. I am very excited about this band and their set. I think live they will be heavier than they are on cd. I also think the addition of Bill Hudson will add a shred factor to this band as well. Another band that I am now a fan of because of Glenn.

I suggest you get Neverworld. I think it's the best of theirs :)